TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ Hehe, no way. You'll be lucky if you even get three-quarters of the way up the tower now. I still think they should take it out and build a freefall ride.

---Brent

That is such a good idea. I know I would enjoy the park much more if instead of Superman they put in a ride like Acrophobia or some other Intamin drop tower. They could even then have room to put in a themed top spin like RipTide ... It will never happen

Well i guess you guys have no idea how much power it takes to launch it up there. Its so much power edison had to make a grid for it there is a direct feed to the industrial center and under the past owners it would have been a huge power bill . I think once its repainted they are going to try to make it go the full 100mph its running like at 82 now

Well i guess you guys have no idea how much power it takes to launch it up there. Its so much power edison had to make a grid for it there is a direct feed to the industrial center and under the past owners it would have been a huge power bill . I think once its repainted they are going to try to make it go the full 100mph its running like at 82 now

you sure about that? Superman was the biggest power hog when it opened...even if it only runs one side at a time, running it at the full 100 mph causes problems with the power and the LSMs.

Superman uses the most power whenever it launches...Roaring Rapids is a huge power hog all day long because of the huge pumps.

Superman has its own sub-thing (whatever the electrical term is), but Roaring Rapids only shares with Katy's Kettle. For comparisons sake, I believe RRv, B:TR, and all the rides/shops/etc. around them share one.

yes, but Superman is the biggest WASTE of power in the park.

You know..to be truely honest, I would like Superman MUCH more if it actually went up as far as its supposed to.

Or run it at the speed its at, but cut some track off. If you made the ride to where people would think they would shoot off of it..it would do SOO much better IMO.

-Ryan

Yeah...I don't know where I really stand on the whole entire "Superman not always running to its full potential issue". On one side you have reality...on the other you have higher expectations. I see it launch about 20 times a day or so, sometimes it gets pretty close to the top...sometimes it goes up about halfway. While although we coaster nerds see this, most of the GP doesn't notice that on some cycles it goes higher than others. It feels the same to them and that's what the park is concerned with.

The problem isn't as easy as cutting off 50 feet of track. Keep in mind the last 50 feet or so of track is actually brakes...so you would have to actually reduce the speed of Superman and make sure that it never goes past...well 65-70 mph. Guests are going to notice that a lot more than some great launches and some not so great launches. Just my two cents.

_six

It would be interesting to know exactly what, if anything, is currently preventing S:TE from functioning at its intended peak capability.

Having watched countless launches over last 10 years of operation, I can't remember the last time I saw it go as high as the pic on the previous page of this thread. Some do go higher than others, sure, but nothing close to the brake run (if that's what it is) at the top tier of the track.

So, does anyone know if perhaps some of the LIM components from one side were taken to the other to make both sides operable again? That would seem to make the most sense. But as to the ride experiencing a massive, critical failure cuased by both tracks racing back in the 90s.. I've never believed that story. Surely Intamin would have built in a safeguard preventing a "race launch" from dispatching if such an event could damage their equipment. Right?

-Sam @ San Diego

PEARLY WHITE DURING OPENING YEAR (1997):

jebus, does this ride even go that far up the track anymore?

notice in this picture that there is only about 4 guests in the car. so i would say that the ammount of people in the car greatly influences the height and speed that it reaches...

in the area of TR's, did anyone go this weekend? whats going on with the park?

Contrary to popular belief, a fully loaded car needs LESS speed to make it further up the tower than an empty car. It's called inertia. The heavier car has a lot more momentum than a lighter car, and is harder to stop. That's why most coasters that normally fly through the course tend to crawl over the hills during testing.

Alright...I have no pictures but here's a small update.

-A new fog machine has been installed behind the "Justice League" buffet feast sign. Looks pretty cool.

- New signs have gone up over the park, promoting Fright Fest along with other up coming events that'll take place at the park. Each sign is about 10 feet tall or so.

- Fireworks @ 9:25 - 9:35 PM on the weekends. Not exactly Disneyland "show" quality but they're still a nice closing event. They last about 2.5 minutes or so. Same show as last year I think.

- Every employee in the park has been issued an information guide to carry around with them.

- Granny Gran Prix's queue and main entrance is under construction but the ride is still open.

- Small parts of Flashback have started to be taken apart...such as parts for the gear box.

- The Batman Begins stunt show started up again on May 26th I think...it has three shows a day. ( Not sure how many on the week days though )

And..that about does it.

_six

I was there for the official opening for Superman(yes, i am getting old) and they were racing both sides. It was fun to watch people in the other car, there expression while reaching the top. You guys have to understand that this was the first coaster to ever got launched the way it did to that extreme speed. Of course 10 years later it's not that special, but from a historic standpoint Superman, The Escape was groundbreaking when it first opend

Markings are now showing up in the area behind The Riddler's Revenge and Batman The Ride for EL TORO II -- WEST COASTIN': THE RIDE.

As much as i would love to see this happening, i think with Shapiro in charge that chance would be 0%

- Small parts of Flashback have started to be taken apart...such as parts for the gear box.

AHHH..so maybe they WILL pull it down soon! I thought for sure it wouldnt be till the end of the year (November) or something!!

Good deal! Glad improvements are being made!

-Ryan

I was there for the official opening for Superman(yes, i am getting old) and they were racing both sides. It was fun to watch people in the other car, there expression while reaching the top. You guys have to understand that this was the first coaster to ever got launched the way it did to that extreme speed. Of course 10 years later it's not that special, but from a historic standpoint Superman, The Escape was groundbreaking when it first opend

Markings are now showing up in the area behind The Riddler's Revenge and Batman The Ride for EL TORO II -- WEST COASTIN': THE RIDE.

As much as i would love to see this happening, i think with Shapiro in charge that chance would be 0%

I thought it being a joke was obvious.