TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2218 - Wonder Woman Roller Coaster for 2022!

I went last night for my first Fright Fest visit since 2011. After arriving at about 6:30, I bought my wristband at the booth outside Flags, though I found later that they were selling wristbands at many stores throughout the park. Also, didn't Gold Season Passes once get you a free wristband? Anyways, from there I went to Ninja, which was running only one train, so the wait was about 20 minutes.

My first maze after Ninja was Willoughby's Resurrected, which must have opened a little early, since it was still a little before 7pm. There was no wait, and this was my first visit since the renovation. Overall, I was very impressed; they had a good amount of talent (unfortunately, largely shaker cans), and the sets were great looking. There were some good uses of projection effects, such as having tendrils of darkness coming out of a wall, rats in the ceiling, and moving paintings. They also had a couple preshows; one where they took your photo, and another with a spiel by the butler, which I felt was well done. My only complaint would be that I didn't get many scares, but that may have just been because I too busy admiring the details. I'd give the maze at least a 7/10.

Following Willoughby's, I got in line for Black Widow at about 7pm. Unfortunately, this was a bad idea, as the short line didn't move at all for about 25 minutes. In the meantime, I got to watch some scare-actors working their magic. Two or three of them would double-team guests as they went down the hill, and because of the darkness, people usually didn't notice them until it was too late. There was also a girl leading around a large shaggy dog-like monster, and when asked what he ate, she replied "Babies! So many babies...". Thought that was cute.

Anyways, eventually the line moved and Black Widow happened. The interior looked like someone covered Bitten in webbing and added some spiders. There were a fair amount of actors, but too many of them were relying on shaker cans, and there were few scares to be had. I'd probably give this one a 3/10.

From there I went down the hill to Aftermath, which was about a 5 minute wait. The surrounding scare zone is decent looking, but the actors don't have anywhere to hide, so they seem to be there mostly for photo-ops (especially the stilt-walker). I did Aftermath a couple years ago and found it impressive, and it still didn't disappoint. I loved the introduction by the Tina Turner lookalike, followed by opening the gate and heading into a very foggy corridor, before entering the inside of the arena. The use of the existing Batman stunt-show theater makes this one a winner, because it's very big and realistic looking for a post-apocalyptic themed Thunderdome meets Walking Dead sort of maze. Plus, there was fire. The whole thing reminds me a lot of the plane crash scene during Universal's Backlot. My only complaint is that I got few scares, except a couple at the very beginning in the fog, and the energy could've been a little higher. Still, easily one of the two best mazes at the park. 7/10.

From there I went to Cursed, which is still pretty lame. Basically you walk through the Tidal Wave queue, through 10,000 hanging "vines" while a handful of scare-actors come at you from the side. Also, after giving you a short safety spiel, they just basically say "Ok, no running. Now, 1, 2, 3.. Go!" and the entire group runs into the maze. Luckily it was a walk-on, since it has the feel of a "better than nothing" filler maze. 2/10.

After that, I went to new Weepy Hills INSANEtorium (in DC Universe), which replaced Slaughterhouse, which was one of my favorites from my visit in 2011, so I was looking forward to seeing how this went. Unfortunately, it's pretty clear from the get go that this maze had ZERO budget associated with decorating, as there's nothing on the exterior, and after the pre-show video the rest of the maze is nothing but black plywood walls, with a bed or sink in each room for theming. This was really a step back from the level of quality they'd achieved with Willoughby's and Aftermath, and just looked sad in comparison. However, on the bright side, the talent was working hard and I probably had the most scares in here out of any of the mazes that evening (possibly because I didn't have to worry about admiring the decorations). Also, near the end the maze got pretty dark, so that the black plywood actually kind of worked. 15 minute wait, 5/10.

Next up was Total Darkness, located in the theater near Colossus, which has been getting pretty hyped up for it's trick of having guests walk through the maze in darkness, while the group stays together by holding a rope. I like the concept, and there were a couple creepy moments, but I couldn't get over the feeling that there wasn't anything to it. Maybe it needed more audio effects. I also didn't care for holding the rope, I'd prefer if you were really feeling your way through the dark, maybe holding a handrail, or following dim markings on the walls. Also, I don't know what the sign outside warning of static shocks was for, my best guess is they were worried that the fuzzy walls used in the maze would make guests shock each other on accident. Anyways, cool concept, but I know it could be done so much better. 6/10.

After that I rode Colossus backwards (in the last car, ie, the back of the station), which was rougher on my back than I remembered, but still a fun experience (about a 15 minute wait), followed by YOLOcoaster (20 minutes).

From there I waited about 15 minutes for another new maze, Toyz of Terror, located at Flashback's old station. It had a decent pre-show narrated by the evil toy collector, but the rest of the maze was your typical brightly colored "3D" maze (though without 3D glasses), which looked like the games area threw up it's prizes. However, it had a spinning tunnel that got me pretty dizzy, largely because the people ahead of me moved so slowly, and also because it had a spinning wheel at the end of it, so that you couldn't orient yourself. 5/10.

The last maze of the night was Chupacabra, in the Revolution overflow queue, another one I did back in 2011. It's a short maze, but has a good mix of talent, scares, and atmosphere. There were a few especially dark corridors that worked nicely. Also, this is one of the only mazes with a nice looking facade, which I think is always a huge plus in giving a maze its identity. No wait, 6/10.

After that I left the park at about 10:30pm. The real standout mazes this year were still Willoughby's and Aftermath; they're the only ones I might see working at an event like Knott's. After those, I still think Chupacabra is a solid maze. Toyz of Terror and Total Darkness are weak, but still interesting enough to be worth checking out. Black Widow looks decent, but it's lacking in scares. And if you want to get the impression that Six Flags doesn't budget ANY money in decorating their mazes, I recommend hitting Cursed, Weepy Hills, and Total Darkness back-to-back; it's kind of funny that the combined budget for those three was probably determined primarily by the cost of plywood, fuzzy cushioning, and hanging vines.

One other thing I was impressed by was the usage of pre-shows or introductions in some of the mazes, especially Willoughby's, Aftermath, and Toyz of Terror. Having a pre-show really helps to sell the maze as a more complete package, and the crowd control timing works out better than doing a finale show.

Anyways, my next planned haunts will be closer to the end of the month at Queen Mary, Knott's, and HHN.

IMG_20131006_195608.thumb.jpg.fc6d6c47f0440cea1bf35ea672c45cef.jpg

City Under Siege (aka DC Universe) looks nice at night

IMG_20131006_201858.thumb.jpg.af1dd5081827814d05c0f9fed4309ccf.jpg

Entrance to Total Darkness

IMG_20131006_213451.thumb.jpg.464dd960b00a9a7d2f91fc331fb5c47c.jpg

Entrance to Toyz of Terror. This area was lacking in atmosphere.

IMG_20131006_220459.thumb.jpg.cfd4af83fdcc1d5e8600c9b6be73b032.jpg

Nice looking entrance to Chupacabra

IMG_20131006_221719.thumb.jpg.c6ac6fd305a74eb7aa74f54c8d7c7058.jpg

I had bad luck with getting pictures, so just imagine there's a couple fireballs shooting out every five minutes.

IMG_20131006_222217.thumb.jpg.aeda110ae59f1e66b0d260caf2d8e3d9.jpg

Demon's Door was one of the nicer looking scare zones

I wish more would have went into the HH expansion for 2014. Its been long overdue and what they are bringing in for 2014 just doesnt seem enough. I would have liked to have seen something like SFGAd got last year, along with the drop slides.

Hey everybody, I noticed that the park is open on Thursday October 24th from 4pm - 12am. This seems like either a great opportunity to maybe skip crowds or some horrible physics day-like messy trap. Either way, it's the only day I can go, and I was wondering if anybody knows why it's open that day, and why the bizarre hours?

I just saw the Camry commercial. I agree that it would be better than anything else at SFMM if it were real!

Sadly, it probably had better capacity than a lot of SFMM's rides too!

Well they were running more than one car!

I just saw the Camry commercial. I agree that it would be better than anything else at SFMM if it were real!

Sadly, it probably had better capacity than a lot of SFMM's rides too!

Well they were running more than one car!

Exactly! Plus there was no stacking!

We are thinking about going to sfmm next year and we are coming from Kansas and does anyone expect x2 special effects to be working because they are really cool

I am going to guess that if they are broken, SFMM probably won't waste the money in trying to repair them.

We are thinking about going to sfmm next year and we are coming from Kansas and does anyone expect x2 special effects to be working because they are really cool

I am going to guess that if they are broken, SFMM probably won't waste the money in trying to repair them.

I think the park said in their Q&A at WCB 2012 that they actually have someone on staff full-time who works on X2's speakers. It's just an always-losing battle, but at least there are stretches of time where the sound does work. It's better than nothing.

I think the park said in their Q&A at WCB 2012 that they actually have someone on staff full-time who works on X2's speakers. It's just an always-losing battle, but at least there are stretches of time where the sound does work. It's better than nothing.

I think it's pretty random when the sound works. I've gone for multiple days and one day the speakers work and the next they don't. It's mainly luck on whether you're going to get to ride with the audio.

I think that about 10% of all the rides I've done on X2 had all the effects working the whole ride. I still think it's a great ride, albeit painful. I actually don't really care for the sound, as I could only hear it on the lift hill.

They've always had audio/video technicians on the staff. I'm sure in typical SFMM fashion, they added to their workload without hiring additional staff or giving much of a budget to keep parts in stock.

If by special effects, you mean the fog and fire, then the fire still works, although they turn it off when it's too windy. I haven't seen the fog working in quite some time, although it's definitely possible that it's just been too breezy when I've been there for it to be visible. My most recent ride on X2 was in July and the fire was working, so I would assume that this will be the case when it reopens. As others have stated, the on-board audio is spotty at best.

I don't think they bother with the fog at all anymore, I cant remember the last time I saw it, it's been years. The fire is otherwise the most elusive effect, I hear from other people that it's been on from time to time, but I've never seen it myself. Audio is just hit and miss. Most times I visit the park one train has audio and one doesn't, and sometimes only for parts of the day.

Too bad X2 is down during Fright Fest this year, it was kind of cool to get alternate audio last year, I liked it better than the original audio. I'm hoping they'll have X2 up and running in time for the spring ride flips when I get to visit again.

The effects have been hit or miss for me. The fire has only worked about half the time, Don't remember the fog working except at media day. The on board audio is a waste. If it is working it is fine until the top of the lift hill then I can barely here it through out the rest of the ride. Doesn't bother me if it isn't working at all.