TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I hate to interrupt this beef, but I have a couple of questions about a visit to the park I'm planning to make soon.

I was planning to go to SFMM on Sunday the 29th, which is a bring a friend free day. I've never been to SFMM on a bring a friend free day, and I was wondering if anyone knows how crowded it will get? I've heard some say that the amount of people going to the park will double, but that seems unlikely to me, especially on a late-January Sunday.

I was also wondering how the bring a friend process works? Does my friend just wait in line with me and they let him in when I show them my pass? Or do I have to do something else, like register him in at a ticket booth?

Good luck! The bring a friend days are typically insanely busy.

Just a heads up for anyone coming to the park today, the following rides are closed:

Tatsu

YOLOcoaster

The new revolution

Superman

Riddlers revenge

Apocalypse

I feel like this park declines literally more every time I come here. Embarrassed to have brought my partner here for his first time with half the park closed

It's just that time of year when they do annual maintenance, also construction.

According to different blogs, here are the reasons for two of the ride closures:

Tatsu - lift hill chain replacement

Riddler's Revenge - Repaint with JL construction

Wtf? They're repainting Riddler but not Tatsu? Tatsu looks waaaay worse.

^ ^ ^

Tatsu doesn't have a new ride opening next to it next year. Management probably sees Riddler as a higher priority.

I agree, though. Tatsu is in dire need of a fresh coat of paint.

Fair point. They probably learned from the publicity photos of TNR.

If there was ever a time when Tatsu should have gotten painted, that was last year with the opening of Revolution... Tatsu is going to be very expensive to paint though which is most likely why they are holding off. When it does get the inevitable repaint, it better get the same paint X2 got as that ride still looks fantastic.

I heard Riddler may be getting an altered color scheme - the same green that it has now, with some purple mixed in.

something that matches the current trains at least. the total lagging on fixing the scream trains is a joke. those old color trains on the new look so dumb.

Tatsu is going to be very expensive to paint....

I've heard this so many times, from so many posters, and I've seen no evidence to back it up nor does it make much sense to me.

Is there ANY kind of solid evidence from anybody at the park to back it up that this ride is THAT much difficult to paint or are people just talking out of their asses because the ride appears "high up" in only a couple individual parts of the ride? I can't see it being any more complicated than X2, furthermore, my only fear of Tatsu getting a repaint is they will do away with the awesome 3 tone color scheme like they did with X and Scream.

IMO Tatsu is NOT going to be "very" expensive to paint, probably as much as any other ride in the park.

However I agree I hope they use the same quality of paint they used on X2 as it seems to have held up well.

According to my friend who is a supervisor in ride operations at SFMM, Tatsu is getting a repaint and will be down for awhile. A crane is already in place behind Viper right now for Tatsu maintenance and then for the paint jobs of both Riddler and Tatsu.

From what I've read, Tatsu will not be receiving a new paint job this year. The only thing happening to Tatsu right now is a rebuild of the trains, hence why they have a crane sitting next to Viper, and a new chain lift.

I've heard this so many times, from so many posters, and I've seen no evidence to back it up nor does it make much sense to me.

Is there ANY kind of solid evidence from anybody at the park to back it up that this ride is THAT much difficult to paint or are people just talking out of their asses because the ride appears "high up" in only a couple individual parts of the ride? I can't see it being any more complicated than X2, furthermore, my only fear of Tatsu getting a repaint is they will do away with the awesome 3 tone color scheme like they did with X and Scream.

IMO Tatsu is NOT going to be "very" expensive to paint, probably as much as any other ride in the park.

However I agree I hope they use the same quality of paint they used on X2 as it seems to have held up well.

Back when Tatsu first opened, Discovery Channel ran a program called "Mega-builders" which was a documentary on the challenges of building Tatsu due to the terrain it sits on. So I can't imagine that it wouldn't be difficult to paint considering how difficult it was to build.

...possibly because they are taking care of the ride? It is the off-season.

AND it does need considerable work again. The recent partial re-tracking held up for all of a month or so. I hate to suggest it as I love the ride and the layout, but it's as if the ride is too aggressive for the structure / trains. It's a very tight and twisty track that stays fairly low to the ground with the trains hammering against the tracks for much of the course. I think the wheels are steel on this one, aren't they?

...possibly because they are taking care of the ride? It is the off-season.

AND it does need considerable work again. The recent partial re-tracking held up for all of a month or so. I hate to suggest it as I love the ride and the layout, but it's as if the ride is too aggressive for the structure / trains. It's a very tight and twisty track that stays fairly low to the ground with the trains hammering against the tracks for much of the course. I think the wheels are steel on this one, aren't they?

Yes, the wheels are steel. It's a bummer that Apocalypse has become so bad over the years. I remember the days where it was much better than GhostRider, however now the opposite is the case. It really is a fun ride and layout.

Yes, the wheels are steel. It's a bummer that Apocalypse has become so bad over the years. I remember the days where it was much better than GhostRider, however now the opposite is the case. It really is a fun ride and layout.

What's odd is that it held up pretty well for several years and then went to crap surprisingly fast. First drop in the back seat is one of the best drops in the park.

What's odd is that it held up pretty well for several years and then went to crap surprisingly fast. First drop in the back seat is one of the best drops in the park.

Agreed. It was a fantastic ride back when I first rode it in 2010, but it's been terrible the last 2-3 years. I might even classify it as worse than the original GhostRider to some extent. Not that this is likely, but I'd love to see the park do a total retrack and a heavy overhaul on both trains. It'd be nice to see them finally add a 12th car now that audio has been out for a while.

I just got my first season pass on 12-29-16 but not Gold since I only bought two.

Obviously I am jealous of the Gold pass early access entrance.

I read however that there is another entrance for Discover card holders

https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/newsroom/tips-to-enter-park-quickly

5. Use your Discover® Card

If you bring your Discover card to the park, we have a special entrance reserved just for you. Look for the orange carpet leading to the Discover Cardmember Entrance. Flash your card along with your tickets or Season Pass, and off you go.

I am thinking of getting a Discover card just for this perk but I have never seen this orange carpet or entrance. Do they still have this? Where in relation to the Gold Pass entrance is it as I usually get in the line right next to the Gold pass and then slide over when it converts to a regular line.

Season Dining pass is awesome, Magic Mountain seems like a great value to pass holders so far. I been 3 times and except for the crowds the first time it has been awesome

1) X2 was almost $1 million to paint.

2) Regular boom lifts cannot reach any part of the ride.

3) The park would need to rent cranes (very expensive) and painters that harness onto the track and supports themselves in order to get to areas (very expensive and very slow).

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense to you.

Also, they are not repainting Tatsu right now. Maintenance has been working on the lift hill, and the lift motor is currently off of the ride and sitting at the base of Sky Tower. That's all that's happening.

Riddler's on the other hand is getting a repaint and they are changing the support color. From what I saw the supports are turning yellow, but that doesn't make sense to me. Purple would make a bit more sense but I haven't seen anything confirming that.