TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I just got my first season pass on 12-29-16 but not Gold since I only bought two.

Obviously I am jealous of the Gold pass early access entrance.

I read however that there is another entrance for Discover card holders

https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/newsroom/tips-to-enter-park-quickly

5. Use your Discover® Card

If you bring your Discover card to the park, we have a special entrance reserved just for you. Look for the orange carpet leading to the Discover Cardmember Entrance. Flash your card along with your tickets or Season Pass, and off you go.

I am thinking of getting a Discover card just for this perk but I have never seen this orange carpet or entrance. Do they still have this? Where in relation to the Gold Pass entrance is it as I usually get in the line right next to the Gold pass and then slide over when it converts to a regular line.

Season Dining pass is awesome, Magic Mountain seems like a great value to pass holders so far. I been 3 times and except for the crowds the first time it has been awesome

I believe the Discover entrance only operates for the first hour or two that the park is open.

This is my first year with a SFMM season pass and it has definitely paid for itself, and then some. In my experience, the best times to go are the days immediately BEFORE their free friend days. The park is usually dead, as everyone is waiting to bring their friends the next day. This Sunday is a free friend day, so I'm planning on going Saturday.

Visiting SFMM for the first time the weekend of the 4th/5th. Being a Sat/Sunday in Feb - not really sure what to expect crowd wise.

Any tips on which rides to prioritize (because of low capacity/notoriously bad ops) to make the most of my day? This is a Six Flags park, so I am guessing there isn't any food must-haves, but I'm all ears if there are! Would love any tips you have to share for a first-timer.

I had an awesome time yesterday for visiting the park for the first time. Got on everything at least once thanks to a platinum flash pass. I've got to say, and I've heard negatives about it in the past, but the employees have to be one of the best out of the six flags parks I've visited. Especially the Twisted Colossus crew who tried to get that train out there right on time on every lap. Pretty much the lack of a constant running shuttle and a couple of closed coasters were the only negative, but it gets me to want to go back again.

Tatsu, Apocalypse, Riddler, and Superman were pretty much the only closed coasters. Green Lantern was open and closed all day, but snagged a ride.

Why is that the majority of people that come visit SFMM from other states or countries enjoy SFMM and have nice things to say about the park yet judgemental superficial hateful waxed eyebrow coaster jerks like cj1990 have nothing but negative things to say about this park it's just so very old tired and annoying really if the park is that bad stop going it's that simple trust they will not miss your little season pass purchase or your entitled spoiled ungrateful attitude at all. Go live in your supposedly golden memories of the park since it's current day form is just noty good enough and never will be it seems. This is just my opinion I apologize if this offends anyone

Well Put!

Thank You

I have found that interesting as well. My two visits out to the mountain were fantastic. Granted, I went in the hardcore offseason so crowds were light, so the trip was already set up for success in that regard, but I really enjoyed it. I did feel like some of the coasters could've or should've been a bit...more, if you will (I feel like Tatsu should've been longer, Scream could've been something unique and maybe more in the park, etc.), but overall, it was far and away one of the coolest parks I've ever visited. It really is like a greatest-hits collection of some of the grandest accomplishments roller coasters have ever achieved, and honestly, the setting for the park is just amazing. It's almost surreal in its landscape and also in its skyline.

Visiting SFMM for the first time the weekend of the 4th/5th. Being a Sat/Sunday in Feb - not really sure what to expect crowd wise.

Any tips on which rides to prioritize (because of low capacity/notoriously bad ops) to make the most of my day? This is a Six Flags park, so I am guessing there isn't any food must-haves, but I'm all ears if there are! Would love any tips you have to share for a first-timer.

Saturday: Expect moderate crowds and expect most wait times to be around 20-30 mins on average.

Sunday: Crowds will be pretty light and wait times should be around 10-20 mins.

Try to hit X2 first as X2's wait tends to be the longest in the park. However, if you do not arrive at opening, skip X2 and head straight for Superman. The reason for this is because at park opening, everyone tends to try and head to X2 at the same time, thus if you're not in the park by 10:40, skip it and come back right before park closing as that's when X2's line starts to die down. After Superman try to hit either Full Throttle or TC. Other than that you should be good. Oh and just note that Tatsu, Apocolypse, and Riddlers Revenge will be closed. And if any rides are running one train ops expect wait times to be much higher than what I stated above.

Saturday: Expect moderate crowds and expect most wait times to be around 20-30 mins on average.

Sunday: Crowds will be pretty light and wait times should be around 10-20 mins.

Try to hit X2 first as X2's wait tends to be the longest in the park. However, if you do not arrive at opening, skip X2 and head straight for Superman. The reason for this is because at park opening, everyone tends to try and head to X2 at the same time, thus if you're not in the park by 10:40, skip it and come back right before park closing as that's when X2's line starts to die down. After Superman try to hit either YOLOcoaster or TC. Other than that you should be good. Oh and just note that Tatsu, Apocolypse, and Riddlers Revenge will be closed. And if any rides are running one train ops expect wait times to be much higher than what I stated above.

Great tips! Thanks for sharing.

I went yesterday. Several rides were closed, and most of the rides that were open, only ran one train.

I have to say, though, that the ride ops did their best under those circumstances. Once the train rolled in, they hustled to get everyone off and the next group on. There weren't many people, but the one-train ops caused long wait times across the board. It was the first time I've seen long lines on Scream and Viper.

I went yesterday. Several rides were closed, and most of the rides that were open, only ran one train.

So standard procedure for the park. Thanks for sharing.

Not really. This was the first time in the past 4 months or so that it's been like that.

I heard that there appears to be activity or preparation going on around the Sky Tower; it has a construction fence blocking the entrance area. No idea whether it could be repairs, refurbishment, all or none of the above, but pretty much any activity there is a good thing.

I heard that there appears to be activity or preparation going on around the Sky Tower; it has a construction fence blocking the entrance area. No idea whether it could be repairs, refurbishment, all or none of the above, but pretty much any activity there is a good thing.

I thought this was for the painting of Tatsu?

I thought this was for the painting of Tatsu?

Maybe, but from the photo I saw it looked like it was specific to that area. Also I don't think Tatsu painting has started yet..I think they're fixing the chain lift first.

I know parks don't care much about "anniversary years" and stuff like that, but adding their 20th coaster in 2020 is a cool idea. It sounds like it could be a neat marketing tactic. Just a thought. Although knowing the park's history, we'll probably see a new coaster before then.

Maybe I missed something, but is there any true confirmation of Tatsu getting repainted, or is it just a bunch of hopeful enthusiasts?

Maybe I missed something, but is there any true confirmation of Tatsu getting repainted, or is it just a bunch of hopeful enthusiasts?

No kidding. I feel like half this thread lately has been:

>Tastsu is getting repainted!

>Tatsu is definitely not getting repainted.

>Really, I heard it's getting repainted! It needs it!

>Tatsu is not getting repainted.

Based on absolutely no evidence other than my gut and some logic (so expensive, difficult to reach, and so many other projects going on), I'm putting myself down in the NOT camp. But either way, obviously someone's wrong. Really, at this point, I hardly even care anymore.

Part of me wishes it were getting repainted, just to end the tedious discussion. Because if it's not, the "it will get painted" camp will remain forever hopeful... and repetitive, because everyday it's not repainted, the hope and rumor will not die.

A previous poster (I don't remember who, and I'm too lazy to go back and look) had official word from a park employee that Tatsu is NOT being repainted this year.

that's what the Fresher's guy said.

whenever they decide to paint Tatsu, I hope they keep the 3 colors and not do like they did Scream. but I have a strong feeling they won't and do two colors.

A previous poster (I don't remember who, and I'm too lazy to go back and look) had official word from a park employee that Tatsu is NOT being repainted this year.

that's what the Fresher's guy said.

whenever they decide to paint Tatsu, I hope they keep the 3 colors and not do like they did Scream. but I have a strong feeling they won't and do two colors.

Hopefully they'll change the colors altogether to something that won't look like orange and lemon Skittles in a washing machine when it fades.