TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Anyone know why Tidal Wave says closed on the six flags app? Going to the park today. Update later.

I don't know why. However they usually close it immediately after summer opperations close (which would be next monday) so my guess is that they wont bother fixing it for it to be up for 3 days.

I'll be at the park today too. I expect no crowds since school is back in session.

If anyone wants to meet up with a fellow enthusiast I'll be wearing a solid blue shirt and black plaid shorts.

You're wrong about the schools. Most schools start on the 26th around here. There are a few schools that star earlier, but just a few.

Anyone know why Tidal Wave says closed on the six flags app? Going to the park today. Update later.

I'll be at the park today too. I expect no crowds since school is back in session..

Los Angeles City Schools dont return to school until August 18th and that's about 770,000 little angels. and of course this year they must prove immunization records for all incoming 7th graders for immunization against Pertussis, also known as Whooping Cough. Without proof of the immunization, 7th graders will not be able to attend school on August 18, 2015.

So look for slighter crowds today Monday as perhaps they will do school shopping, but Tuesday should see a drop and yet still many others still on summer vacation. At least park is only open until 6pm so late afternoon rushes there wont be in play. And perhaps most today will be at Disneyland as today is first day back for all passholes with So Cal Select season pass being allowed back in.

I was at the park today. Very manageable crowds until around noon - then, things got busy. From Goliath, the primary parking parking lot was about 90 percent full. Everything was a walk-on until noon.

Speaking of Goliath, the ride ops there were having trouble. Two trains today, but, for some reason, a bunch of cycles had stoppages on the MCBR, including mine.

My first ride on Twisted Colossus was fantastic. Great ejector airtime. Absolutely relentless until the second lift hill. Colossus was always a sentimental favorite of mine - it was the first "big" roller coaster of my youth, and I'm pretty darn happy to see it get the RMC treatment. Big line, but three trains, so things were moving pretty fast. No dueling, which was a touch disappointing.

Riddler's Revenge was closed, which bummed me out. Superman was open, which puzzled me - that ride is seemingly never open when I'm at the park.

Thanks, aallen.

Random list of school start dates....

aug 13 valencia high school.

aug 17 burbank high school, simi valley high school.

aug 18 ventura high school.

aug 20 malibu high school .

aug 24 montebello high school, chino high school, CSU long beach.

sept 24 UCLA.

Chance of rain all next week too.

Edited by mike932

I was at the park today. Very manageable crowds until around noon - then, things got busy. From Goliath, the primary parking parking lot was about 90 percent full. Everything was a walk-on until noon.

how was it after noon? primary parking lot means what? the first section? or all the way to the third section by scream? i'm guessing just the first section, but thought i'd ask. i'm thinking about going this week.

i wish magic mountain had a webcam on the parking lot. lol

how was it after noon? primary parking lot means what? the first section? or all the way to the third section by scream? i'm guessing just the first section, but thought i'd ask. i'm thinking about going this week.

i wish magic mountain had a webcam on the parking lot. lol

Looking at Google Maps, except for the left-most edge, the most-recently paved lot was mostly full.

After noon? It seemed like everything of note had hour-long waits at minimum. I know Superman had a 90-minute wait. (Only running the left side today.)

If you wanted to hop on the carousel or take a spin on Goldrusher, that was still near walk-on territory.

Parking was by Scream late in the day. Got in line for TC at 11:15. Line was 35 minutes. Dueled on one side by half a train, we were on the right side and couldn't catch the other train all the way. Rode it again right after no dueling. 3rd time was in the afternoon. Line slightly out the station. Sat in the last row and was the best ride of the day by far. No dueling. we were about 5 minutes from boarding when the train in the station had problems with the restraints I believe and maintenance was called. I remember seeing the main mechanic during the opening weekend preview day. There were 2 mechanics with another joining late. I think a 15 minute delay about. Right after they fixed the issue the ride ops were noticeably hustling including one jogging to get the train out fast because it was their chance to get dueling on track. The first few dispatches dueled. By the time I got on, the train before me had a person being slow and that we didn't get to duel because of that. By the time we got to the lift the other train was at the top.

Lex Luthor was closed all day. Tatsu I think was running both sides but by the time we went thru the bottom queue around 5:30 the other side was empty and only one side was running. Also first time I asked for water having the red souvenir bottle and I went to the ice cream place between Apocalypse and the go carts and the guy charged me $1.08. Later asked for water at the food place across from Goldrusher and she said water is free. Apocalypse had 1 train so didn't ride.

Edited by Freestyle23

You paid for water?

lol yeah. Honestly didn't care because it was hot. Wanted the ice mostly instead of just drinking from the water fountain.

Ice is nice, but I don't need ice, so I bring an 8-ounce plastic disposable cup (the kind you get in hotels) and fill it at water fountains. It's a lot easier to drink a lot of water this way. Or if you buy a small soda, drink it, and use the empty cup at the water fountain to get very hydrated.

Don't they offer like a free 8oz water to guests?

Free water? Next thing you know guests will be wanting things like shade and clean restrooms. It's a slippery slope.

Haha yes I suppose I should know better since this is SFMM. I guess I don't know how good I have it at Hersheypark, we get free 8oz and sometimes free 24oz waters throughout the park. I think it might be a Pennsylvania law, I believe Dorney has it too, saves quite a bit of money throughout the season

Free water? Next thing you know guests will be wanting things like shade and clean restrooms. It's a slippery slope.

Haha yes I suppose I should know better since this is SFMM. I guess I don't know how good I have it at Hersheypark, we get free 8oz and sometimes free 24oz waters throughout the park. I think it might be a Pennsylvania law, I believe Dorney has it too, saves quite a bit of money throughout the season

They were joking lol, SFMM gives out free water everywhere as does everywhere else in California, as it's a law here as well.

Question to all the magic mountain regulars. I plan on visiting Thursday, August 20 and I was wondering what kind of crowd I can expect. Is flash pass worth it? Or should we just try and hit twisted colossus X2 and Full throttle first?

Question to all the magic mountain regulars. I plan on visiting Thursday, August 20 and I was wondering what kind of crowd I can expect. Is flash pass worth it? Or should we just try and hit twisted colossus X2 and YOLOcoaster first?
Seriously doubt you'll need a flash pass that day. Some schools are still out but some are in, and there's no event that day. Crowds should be very manageable.

They were joking lol, SFMM gives out free water everywhere as does everywhere else in California, as it's a law here as well.

That's actually not true. No law exists that says a restaurant must provide water in California.

That's actually not true. No law exists that says a restaurant must provide water in California.

I mean just at amusement/theme parks. Not sure what he meant though!