TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Unfortunately I hear that one has been neutered as well. Looks like I'll never ride one of these as they were intended.

Actually that POV shows a pretty clear view of what a ride on Insane looks like.

It has not been neutered, just adjusted so that it won't flip around (complete rotations) during the beginning and middle of the ride.

Unfortunately I hear that one has been neutered as well. Looks like I'll never ride one of these as they were intended.

Actually that POV shows a pretty clear view of what a ride on Insane looks like.

It has not been neutered, just adjusted so that it won't flip around (complete rotations) during the beginning and middle of the ride.

Isn't being "adjusted" so that it doesn't flip the same as being neutered?

The ride is still flippy and very intense, just not as much as back in 09, but I wouldn't consider it neutered.

Here's a video of Insane shot at the end of the 2012 season. Still seems to flip a lot to me...

One thing you have to remember is that you CAN get rides, even on Insane, that don't flip very much, because, just like any other spinning coaster, you could end up having a ride where it doesn't spin at all, or one that spins like crazy. I will say that, at least in my experience, Insane consistently spun a lot more than Green Lantern.

To be fair, when we rode Insane in 2009, keep in mind that even with our TPR group (who are very seasoned coaster riders), we had two people throw up, one guy pass out, and another one broke a blood vessel in his eye.

So it doesn't surprise me that Grona Lund toned down the ride a *bit*, but looking at this video, it still seems "Insane."

Edited by robbalvey

In my humble opinion, I *LOVE* Green Lantern, but then again I haven't ridden it since opening year, I remember riding it opening year and it was the craziest, most insane, amazing ride ever. I haven't ridden it since because either it was closed, or I just didn't feel like it especially when I started hearing the bad reviews coming in on how terrible the ride has become. I'll be going back April 14th to judge myself...

I went to the park last Thursday. I got my first ever ride on GL, and I'm scared to ride it again. I never really understood the problem everyone had with the ride. I thought that people didn't like it because it didn't flip enough and was boring. However, after riding it once, I understand completely why everyone hates it. As others have before me, I entered the final drip/brake run completely upside down. Slamming into the restraints wasn't the worst part for me. For me, the worst part was this horrible rush of blood to my head. I see why nobody wants to ride GL. I certainly don't.

I've ridden GL once, and that was more than enough. There was nothing fun or thrilling about it. It was just awkward and painful. Thankfully, it's a short ride. I might be inclined to give it another ride if I hear they go to operating it like it was meant to be operated, but otherwise, no thank you.

I enjoy GL, but I can't help but wonder if SFMM themselves dislike it. The ride was barely advertised after it opened, and feels ignored, like an annoying step child. It's a ride I could them shipping off to another park in a few years. It serves absolutely no purpose at a park like SFMM.

I enjoy GL, but I can't help but wonder if SFMM themselves dislike it. The ride was barely advertised after it opened, and feels ignored, like an annoying step child. It's a ride I could them shipping off to another park in a few years. It serves absolutely no purpose at a park like SFMM.

It does serve a purpose, in their eyes, its another coaster to add to the collection... whether its good or not.

Green Lantern is definitely not designed for the tall.

Having said that, I think it does serve a purpose and I wouldn't knock it just because I came off the ride a little worse for wear. It is there to stay and I say good luck to the people who enjoy it... again a rather small minority!

Technically, its purpose could serve as bait to keep the general public away from other rides. If I'm not mistaken, the ride generates quite a line at times (though this could be due to low capacity). I haven't been on it yet though the reviews all seem to be about the same. Just remember, those people queuing for GL could be in line for X2 or Tatsu instead.

In my humble opinion, I *LOVE* Green Lantern, but then again I haven't ridden it since opening year, I remember riding it opening year and it was the craziest, most insane, amazing ride ever. I haven't ridden it since because either it was closed, or I just didn't feel like it especially when I started hearing the bad reviews coming in on how terrible the ride has become. I'll be going back April 14th to judge myself...

When we rode GL on Media Day I absolutely loved it. But with each ride I've had since I've loved it a little less. My ride Sunday was probably the first ride I've had on it in a year. Don't even think I rode it at WCB last year. At this point I'd rather ride Revolution or Viper than GL.

I did a commercial shoot for GL right before it opened (the day before media day I believe) and rode it 12 times throughout that day. The majority of my rides on it that day were enjoyable, with the exception of a few. It definitely became hard to handle after several consecutive rides though. One of our rides ended with us locked in the brakes in the station with the train completely upside-down. It took them a few minutes to release the train so it could rotate right-side up again. That was really uncomfortable.

However, last time went on it, the first half of the ride had no flips and then we spent the entire second half of the ride completely inverted and all the blood rushed to my head. The restraints killed my shoulders and the whole blood-rush thing gave me a pretty bad headache.

Back in October when we visited SFMM, GL slammed me into the restraints so hard that I had bruises on my shoulders. One ride was enough for me. Like clinksalot said, EFF that ride!

Me too when I rode the first time it bruised my shoulders and arms. I haven't rode it again and I never will.

GL is actually a favorite to the GP. All my friends say it's the scariest and their most favorite ride, even over X2.

I personally like it because of the intensity and being thrown around everywhere. For me the pain is part of the experience!