TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I really hope it's not a strata. Kingda Ka is my least favorite of all the American accelerators. Whereas the other three are glass-smooth (except Stromrunner's finale), Kingda Ka manages to shuffle, even during the launch. Also, it has the least amount of airtime of the three. I would rather have a new-age B&M than Kingda Ka. Personally, my favorite thing about the ride is that it helps keep the GP away from El Toro. I can see why some SFMM locals would like to see a strata, just to experience what it is like. Although TTD is a lot of fun, I rank Xcelerator slightly above TTD, and that is the better of the two stratas. Also, they are insanely unreliable, almost as bad as a GIB. I would much prefer a blitz, a giga, or possibly even a new B&M.

^^^^It seems that some of the GP have the inablitiy to feel airtime. Generally, the GP are more concerned about the drop that follows the other side of the hill than the airtime at the top. This is why B&M hypers are very popular to them, since they have very large hills, with large drops following them. Nevermind that that little hill on that Intamin hyper produces airtime four times stronger than that big hill, I want big drops! OMG!

Well, it would be nice if they could incorporate some airtime and at least make it a side note.

I have a hard time gauging what non-enthusiasts know, especially because there are clearly a lot of park and coaster fans out there who I assume don't consider themselves enthusiasts but know some of the same information. But Chris is right, it seems airtime is typically described as "flying out of my seat". I just smile to myself.

Well, it would be nice if they could incorporate some airtime and at least make it a side note.

I have a hard time gauging what non-enthusiasts know, especially because there are clearly a lot of park and coaster fans out there who I assume don't consider themselves enthusiasts but know some of the same information. But Chris is right, it seems airtime is typically described as "flying out of my seat". I just smile to myself.

Well having ridden Goliath with the GP for over a decade, I know they go wild over Goliath's one airtime hill. I'd go so far to say it's one of the more crowd pleasing elements in the park!

^Why would they put an apocalyptic themed ride in the front of the park in Log Jammers area and not in the back of the park by Apocalypse?

I do agree on this though

With all the work being done around Log Jammer's former spot, and how early it's being done, I'm sensing something pretty major. If not in height, certainly in scale.

I could imagine something with a theme of say a plague sweeping through the park and it starts in Log Jammer spot using the old station facade it could start out really peaceful and then have the plague 'come' and you have to escape it thus leading to a flight through the trees and possibly over the side of the mountain. The plague could be replaced by some other sort of other apocalyptic evil.

GIGA COASTER 2013 FOR SFMM!! The park NEEDS airtime and this side of the country NEEDS a giga. No ifs ands or buts.

Why not a mega lite? Would be better than a giga.

I've never been on either, so correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the point of a Mega Lite, essentially a poor man's Giga Coaster? Mega Lites are great for mid-sized parks but it doesn't make any sense to buy one when you can afford a Giga coaster.

Personally my top 3 coasters are all under 150 feet, with the top two being only 100 and 105 feet tall, I don't think that height matters nearly as much as what is done with that height, if you pull a MF with it then I would prefer something a third that size like Maverick or if its like I305 then I still think that something better could have been done with all that height, see SD2K (I haven't ridden it but it does so much more), rather than say Olympia Looping, which uses every foot of height it has with none wasted.

GIGA COASTER 2013 FOR SFMM!! The park NEEDS airtime and this side of the country NEEDS a giga. No ifs ands or buts.

Why not a mega lite? Would be better than a giga.

I've never been on either, so correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the point of a Mega Lite, essentially a poor man's Giga Coaster? Mega Lites are great for mid-sized parks but it doesn't make any sense to buy one when you can afford a Giga coaster.

Well that's the thing. CAN Magic Mountain afford a giga?

^^The difference is that I think you're going to find a very slim number of people who are as blown away by SD2K as they are by I305. There's a trend in the popular coasters nowadays - quick transitions and copious amounts of airtime. I'll be the first to say that I'm all for that continuing, because those are my favorite rides too! Bring on an SFMM twisty giga!

I was about to post that there's no way it could be a strata coaster since they just did a huge renovation on Superman and a strata would make Superman kind of redundant. Then I thought of what's going on at Six Flags New England and realized that I give Six Flags way too much credit.

That being said, I still think it's more likely that they'll put in a compact ride like Farenheit or Maverick than a strata or a giga. The area that Log Jammer was in isn't all that big is it?

That being said, I still think it's more likely that they'll put in a compact ride like Farenheit or Maverick than a strata or a giga. The area that Log Jammer was in isn't all that big is it?

I think this has been discussed like a million and four times, but Intimidator 305 sits on a five-acre plot of land while Log Jammer sat on a six-acre plot of land. There is very much enough room to get the park a giga if that's what's coming.

I've never been on either, so correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the point of a Mega Lite, essentially a poor man's Giga Coaster?

And for those that have been on them, it sounds like even being the "poor man's Intamin Giga coasters" they are still some of the best coasters in the country. If I was local to SFMM, I would be thrilled with a Mega-Lite!

I've never been on either, so correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the point of a Mega Lite, essentially a poor man's Giga Coaster?

And for those that have been on them, it sounds like even being the "poor man's Intamin Giga coasters" they are still some of the best coasters in the country. If I was local to SFMM, I would be thrilled with a Mega-Lite!

AGREED COMPLETELY! If a MegaLite is a poor man's Giga, then never may I be rich!

Back to the theories on this plot o' gold at MM:

With all the water systems built into that area, I could see a new large-scale water ride/attraction built in there. It would make a logical choice all around- as this would give them a third water ride- which in the summer is always needed.

Going along that theme, it would be wise to go with something higher in capacity, and along the current trends for building up larger rides. With technology that is now starting to grow rapidly, I could (against my 'better' judgements) say an Aquatrax would be a perfect fit: Thrilling water coaster which would be a 'first of it's kind' in the USA- and a true gem for a park to have. It would give SFMM a 'calling card' attraction, one that is family friendly and high capacity, and would be a terrific use of the water systems already built into that site.

There are none in the U.S.

There are currently only 4 in the world:

http://www.rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&mo=8556

This needs to change.

Thanks Ernie, I did that search before. I just thought I was missing something here. Everyone seems to have an opinion on them, and I was feeling left out...

We'll see if this changes.

I really think your'e all way off base with this conversation. Look at the land cleared from the log ride, what does it tell you, realistically. What would best fit that area?

And I'm also going to say that it wont be Intamin or B&M...

What it tells me realistically is this:

I think this has been discussed like a million and four times, but Intimidator 305 sits on a five-acre plot of land while Log Jammer sat on a six-acre plot of land. There is very much enough room to get the park a giga if that's what's coming.

Boardwalk Bullet at Kemah does everything it does - a full-length course - on a single acre, I305 reaches 300 feet and 96 miles per hour and ranked #3 in the 2010 Mitch Hawker steel coaster poll and manages that on five acres. You're seriously underestimating these engineers' ability to cram.

I wonder what gave traction to the giga rumor to begin with? I'm not sure what's coming, but giga coaster would not be on that short list, mainly do to the cost of such a massive ride. Then again, I didn't expect Kings Dominion to go that route either.