TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Is anyone else reading that one of X2's train just valley'd before the last raven turn?

Well, at least those people didn't have to deal with the roughest part of the ride!

LOL, doesn't this happen every year around this time in that same spot?

Uh oh! Hopefully they can fix this quick! I wonder which train this is. Currently trains 1 and 3 are operational with guests and train 2 is in rehab. Maybe they were testing it with the fixed audio! I wonder if it is still saying "Is everybody in?" right now!

If it valley'd, that will take some work to get out. Thankfully it's near the end of the ride. I remember at WCB 10 hearing that it takes a crane to guide the train throughout the rest of the course. It sounds like a tough job since the train weighs so much, but knowing SFMM, who knows how long it will take.

*Edit- Also I know that if it is a windy day, the ride basically acts as a giant sail, therefore stopping the trains momentum. That is one of the problems the original X had.

I was reading The Coaster Guy's site today and he had a a little photo gallery showing the train where it valley'd and the crane trying to take the train off the track. They were doing some test runs and the train just didn't have the momentum to make it up the last raven turn. There was no one on the ride since it was a test run.

I am just telling you guys what The Coaster Guy has on his website. Here is a link to the site: http://www.thecoasterguy.com/index.php/2012/01/20/x2-train-trouble-on-the-track/

^ Nice pictures! I was just on it last Monday and it was running really well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do those trains really weigh 5000 pounds (as Coaster Guy is saying)? I guess I assumed they weighed a lot more than that.

5000 seems pretty accurate, I imagine. And that's probably less than the old trains, because these new-generation ones removed a lot of material to make the design more aerodynamic. Granted, it also has the audio equipment on board. But I remember a special on Superman years ago that said that big car weighed one ton, and that's like a solid block. Take away material and add in some rows, and 2.5 tons seems like a decent number!

^ Nice pictures! I was just on it last Monday and it was running really well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do those trains really weigh 5000 pounds (as Coaster Guy is saying)? I guess I assumed they weighed a lot more than that.

Yeah I was there too on MLK day and it was running great. Probably the best ride I've ever had on it. Hope they get it back up and running soon .

^It's either train 1 or 3, since train 2 is in for rehab right now, as someone said earlier in this thread. I just wonder how a train this heavy could every valley, espicially right before the last raven turn! I also wonder how long it will take to rebuild the train since they have to dissmantle it, and how long it will take to get it off the track.

^It's either train 1 or 3, since train 2 is in for rehab right now, as someone said earlier in this thread. I just wonder how a train this heavy could every valley, espicially right before the last raven turn! I also wonder how long it will take to rebuild the train since they have to dissmantle it, and how long it will take to get it off the track.

I believe they're just using a crane to pull it over the raven curve and hoping it will make it up the final hill from there.

^ I kinda doubt that, since that is one of the only spots were the crane can get to the train without any supports being in the way. And I don't know if the train will be able to make it up to the brake run, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I hope that the ride will be back up and running in no time!

Edited by kylexy2298

It usually does not take long. Dismantling along the track would be the most difficult part, while putting it back together can take just a couple of hours with some trains. I've seen an Arrow looping train be put back together pretty fast before. Granted those are much different than the 4D trains, but it still shouldn't take long.

Train 2 is in rehab? The park bought two new trains when the coaster was transformed into X2...I thought the third train was only being used as parts? Do they actually still run one of the old trains? I go to the park a lot, and have never seen it being used anymore...

^They don't have an old train anymore. When it was transformed to X2, the park replaced all three trains. On rare occasions, I have seen X2 run with all three, but usually only two are used (I assume the third is only a minimal capacity boost, as it will stack 100% of the time with three).

Train 2 is in rehab? The park bought two new trains when the coaster was transformed into X2...I thought the third train was only being used as parts? Do they actually still run one of the old trains? I go to the park a lot, and have never seen it being used anymore...

Yes. Train 3 was in rehab through almost all of 2011, so they were running trains 1 and 2 until December. 2 clearly ran better during this time. But for some reason they took 2 off first for rehab and put 3 back. Now three and really smooth with loud audio and 1 is really rough with quiet audio. They need to take 1 off! But yes, train 3 hasn't been used for the last year or so until now.

Ninja has issues when it's cold which can lead to downtime in the Winter months.

I believe the "magic" temperature for Ninja is anything above 55. Anything colder and the ride may valley. I could be slightly off on that temperature, but I'm sure that I'm pretty close there.

55 degrees seems a little warm for it to be too cold for it to valley. Im not an expert on Ninja or anything but I know that most rides tend to have trouble operating at temps around 35 degrees.

I really hope that socal doesn't have a cold spell around wcb. I really want my Ninja credit!