TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

A large Eurofighter or huge version of Abismo would easily fit that space, but an Abismo type ride would have very low capacity unless they could develop one to run multiple cars while the Eurofighter can already run that way.

An giga-Abismo would totally rock MM and put it back on the map as top thrills on the planet!!!

If SFMM ever got anything remotely close to Maverick, I'd be thoroughly impressed, satisfied, and beyond excited.

Not to upset any Cedar Point/Millennium Force fanboys, but Maverick was much more fun that MF - I think the second launch was one of the best elements; it simply does so much, without breaking records for height or speed. I'm pretty sure a lot of people stayed on the entire time during our one-hour ERT - they were running six trains so you didn't have to get off.

But yeah, it would definitely complement SFMM's collection of coasters that are all somewhat unique.

Why is everybody wanting a new coaster? 18 or 17 thats still a crap load of coasters, and when you look at SFMM's flat collection, Buccanear is agruably their best. SFMM needs a decent flat ride before another coaster IMO. If they do get a coaster as the next addition I'll be happy, but I'm still rooting for a good flat.

Why is everybody wanting a new coaster? 18 or 17 thats still a crap load of coasters, and when you look at SFMM's flat collection, Buccanear is agruably their best. SFMM needs a decent flat ride before another coaster IMO. If they do get a coaster as the next addition I'll be happy, but I'm still rooting for a good flat.

It can't be denied that SFMM needs flats.

However, when the park promotes itself as having more coasters than any other park, then removes one of them (and a pretty decent ride at that), it seems mind-boggling.

I think most of the speculation relates to Deja Vu's replacement, and, possibly, the fact that most So Cal parks (heck, US parks, right?) are getting pretty substantial rides for 2012.

A large Eurofighter or huge version of Abismo would easily fit that space, but an Abismo type ride would have very low capacity unless they could develop one to run multiple cars while the Eurofighter can already run that way.

An giga-Abismo would totally rock MM and put it back on the map as top thrills on the planet!!!

A giga Abismo.......OH MY!

A bit too extreme, maybe, but that would nonetheless be an amazing add to SFMM's collection *u*

jeez, I really need to go this year. I din't ride it (Deja Vu) last summer at all.

Time to press Six Flags into seeing if I can use 2 VIP tickets then use the other 2 for next season. If not I'll be forced into taking people I honestly don't like or even possibly know. But for sure im not going to New England anytime soon as my only friend from that region left this year. Well, time to start researching for hopefully something this time around.

Thats the only complaint I have ever heard about the park. Lack of flat rides and family stuff. So if six flags wants to improve the park for other groups of people you may be waiting a while for a new coaster. Considering the fact that the thrill seeker area is beyond covered and a lot of families come to the park and want stuff to do.

It can't be denied that SFMM needs flats.

However, when the park promotes itself as having more coasters than any other park, then removes one of them (and a pretty decent ride at that), it seems mind-boggling.

I think most of the speculation relates to Deja Vu's replacement, and, possibly, the fact that most So Cal parks (heck, US parks, right?) are getting pretty substantial rides for 2012.

Well then perhaps SFI needs to look at promoting the park in a different way?The promotions used a decade ago are outdated as you're dealing with a new generation of guests & parks often do change their marketing strategies from time to time...perhaps they should focus more on their waterpark for instance & then market that as "more waterslides than anywhere else" as opposed to just throwing in coasters all the time.

Let's not forget that the leading rumor even before Vu was being closed was a drop tower being built for next year. It may not be the "flat" everyone wants/needs, but it's certainly a change of pace from the addition of roller coaster after coaster after coaster after coaster....

I just don't see SFMM adding something major for another couple of years. 2011 was a massive investment for the park (and I don't know how much the average drop tower costs), but I just don't see another $12-13 million coaster being added in the near future.

^ Honestly, adding RRE, Changing Superman and adding GL:FF, even adding in the themeing for RRE and the re-do of DC Universe probably cost as much as one "normal" coaster, maybe even less. If you look at something like Tatsu, that cost about $21 million ... there is no way the park spent that much $$ on the "three new coasters" last year.

That model ZacSpin is listed as around $7 million (US). I believe I heard that the re-do of Superman cost $1-$2 million.

I have to admit, while I like Déjà vu, it's not the best of the GIB clones. SFGAm's was probably the best while it was still there, and now it's even better at Silverwood (I've ridden both SFMM'S and SFGAm's in both places). While SFMM may be losing a decent Vekoma, I'm sure that bit of space could be refilled with something great. I'm no sure what it'll be, though.

The space is big enough to fit part of a coaster, but not enough to fit some of the stuff I've heard mentioned. A complete circuit Intamin or any kind would be fantastic. A B&M Dive Machine would be fantastic. But there isn't much space that I can see that would be able to accommodate those rides, unless the park used some space on the mountain behind Apocolypse and Déjà vu. And a drop tower would be great, but it wouldn't be very visible and probably couldn't take up enough of the space in that area to be a full addition (although queue might take up quite a bit of space).

Also, what would these rides be themed to? Something to match the Apocolypse theme or something different and random?

They aren't going to take Deja Vu out and not replace it with another coaster. They spent a decent amount of money this year just to theme everything and get the most coasters. Why would they just give it up after having the crown for only a few months.They've also been clearing out a small space behind Deja Vu so they'll have more space to work with. CoasterGuy has a few theories on his blog.

Edited by RabidMonkey

They aren't going to take Deja Vu out and not replace it with another coaster. They spent a decent amount of money this year just to theme everything and get the most coasters. Why would they just give it up after having the crown for only a few months.They've also been clearing out a small space behind Deja Vu so they'll have more space to work with. CoasterGuy has a few theories on his blog.

Maybe Six Flags Magic Mountain wants to focus on improving the park as a whole before it puts in another attraction. Just because you want your semi-annual fix of new coaster doesn't mean that Six Flags will listen.

Sometimes, you have to take a step backward before going further forward.