TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

So with this "opening act" thing, what about on rides with storylines in the queue that you skip if you use Fastpass? This seems no worse.

So, does WDW no longer have direct buses between parks out the front? Do all park to park journeys require a transfer through a resort now?

So with this "opening act" thing, what about on rides with storylines in the queue that you skip if you use Fastpass? This seems no worse.

Pretty much.

I say this as a shameless nerd and fanboi for all of the work WDI has done over the last 60 years, I don't get how this upcharge service could be seen as some reckless subversion of THE ONE TRUE DISNEY or whatever. As an out-of-stater and AP member, I don't find it difficult to say "this [specific thing the company offers] does not actively cater to the way that I want to plan our family's trips to WDW, but I can work around it/have it work for us." Would we ever use the Disney Dining Plan? No. Do we sit at the computer or on the phone to get that one KILLER ADR? No. Are our vacations structured around a rigid schedule that includes specifically timed FastPass+ experiences, show times, and bathroom breaks down to the minute? No! Would we ever buy this bus service? No! We like to drive everywhere. But bully for you if you do! Thanks for spending money for my personal pleasure of getting you out of the general security line!

Not everyone has the desire to fully immerse themselves in all of the neat subtleties that make up all of the parks, but that does not detract from my experience and the experiences of my friends and family. We can be really weird talking about disco Yeti or obsessively ride the Tower of Terror without lording our nerd cred over other people. I don't really care about listening to a podcast on NBA history, so it's easy to understand why a minority of people want to sit down and listen to a podcast with Tony Baxter interviews or comment on a theme park enthusiast message board.

There are so many things to do on Walt Disney World property. We have yet to do them all, and we go way too often for people who don't live in central Florida. Some families only go once or twice in their life! Disney has a very captive and global audience for Walt Disney World. TWDC can keep going in to foreign countries to build parks, but people still leave soil they share with a Disney park to come to Walt Disney World. If people want to spend a bunch of money to squeeze out all of the juice in a trip to WDW, great for me! Hopefully we can see that money to be put to good use with regards to future attractions in progress, rumored, or sorely needed, or critical infrastructure upgrades to security checkpoints and the monorail system.

tl;dr as a shameless nerd of the Walt Disney Company, I don't get it either

I briefly considered linking you to a long form essay someone did about the nature of the Pirates of the Caribbean queue and how Fastpass subverted the time travel aspect and has perverted/ruined the experience, but I figured you probably don't want to waste valuable hours of your life reading that.

As someone who actually prefers to enter Disneyland by walking to the monorail station and riding the monorail directly into Tomorrowland, I had no idea how much of a huge mistake I was making by skipping the "opening act" entirely.

The Express Bus service is a good idea and one that I would most certainly look into using if I was ever at WDW without a car. Time is what you're really paying for at any theme park. Any option to maximize use of that time is in a guest's best interest IMO. Some people choose to waste the time they've paid for, and that's OK. Some don't. This express bus service does not impact the ones who choose not to use it at all whatsoever. But to be clear, that's entirely their choice. These buses are a bargain compared to the average price of a rental car in Orlando. Why someone would complain about them is beyond me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today we attended the media event for Epcot's new "Festival of the Arts" event which runs weekends (Fri-Mon) January 13th - February 20th.

Now before you might be all "Wait, another festival at Epcot???" please remember that between Christmas and Flower & Garden, there isn't really anything going on at Epcot, *AND* Disney used to hold an event called "Festival of the Masters" at Downtown Disney which featured Florida local and Disney artists to come display and sell their items for one weekend. This festival ran for I believe 38 years until the construction of Disney Springs caused the event to be put on hiatus.

Now, this new event at Epcot is basically the "spiritual successor" to Festival of the Masters but it is also expanded in many ways. First off, the event runs several weekends, not just one. The "arts" features more than just "artwork" it showcases paintings, photography, food, and musical theater. (yay! for the last part!)

We had a really good time at the event today and I look forward to this becoming yet another Epcot festival tradition that grows and changes over the years! Here's the photos & a video from today's event! (make sure you watch the video with the sound up!)

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

This morning we are checking out the brand new Festival of the Arts!

We've got our media credentials, event passport, and park guide and ready to check out this new event!

Disney artist Larry Dotson signing his amazing artwork in Norway today!

If you remember Festival of Masters that used to be at Disney Springs this event is very similar. And we think that's GREAT!

The folks from Pop Gallery at Disney Springs have a booth with artists signing their work every weekend!

We LOVE Walt Disney World events that include food booths! Here's a couple you'll see around Festival of the Arts.

WDW Merchandise guru Steve Miller talks event swag like the new Figment World Showcase scavenger hunt for kids!

Some of the food items are almost too pretty to eat! (But we are going to because they are delicious!)

The amount of amazing Disney artwork being offered is absolutely amazing! My wallet hates this event! LOL!

Carlos is one of the local Florida artists invited to display and sell his amazing photography!

If you're looking for original art, Boiled Books is another local artist featured at the event.

Was cool getting to see Disney artist Joe Kaminski painting today! I think Elissa would want the rodents!

We are attending one of the free art seminars. This one features animation and includes a free pin! YAY!!!

Disney animator Lynn Rippberger talks about working on films like Mulan, Beauty & The Beast, and Little Mermaid.

This PhotoPass photo op is hilarious & amazing! Who looks better? Me as The Scream or Craig as Mona Lisa?

On display is some work from legendary Disney artist Herbert Ryman.

Do we have any Figment fans? Here's his topiary as part of Festival of the Arts!

Disney artist Don "Ducky" Williams will be at the Festival most days signing his artwork!

Looking for Event merchandise? You can find some in the Art of Disney store!

Yay! We got a cookie shaped like an artists palate!

I love the Disney on Broadway series they're doing for the event! Over the next few weeks, we will hear songs from Disney shows including my favorite, Newsies!

Here's a couple Mickey Mouse paintings by Joe Kaminski available during Festival of the Arts.

Wow! The line to see Ashley Brown and Joshua Strickland stretches all the way back to Germany!

The Newsies logo came up while waiting for the Disney on Broadway show & King of NY is playing and it makes me so happy!

Taking the stage is Broadway's Ashley Brown (the original Mary Poppins) and Joshua Strickland! (The original Tarzan) and they are singing songs from Tarzan & Beauty & The Beast! Wonderful!!!

Since Frozen on Broadway is coming next year, they sung Let it Go! (You can also hear Ashley sing Part of Your World in the video I linked above!)

[twitter]

[/twitter]

Had a REALLY great day at the new Epcot Festival of the Arts! Highly recommend! Especially if you miss Festival of the Masters!

Edited by robbalvey

Great update! I'll admit, that as someone who hasn't had the chance to attend an Epcot festival, the food prices sound pretty reasonable considering the location. I'm also loving the Disney inspired artwork.

Now before you might be all "Wait, another festival at Epcot???

Are people bitching about this? Please tell me this disclaimer wasn't put here because people are bitching about this now. Please.

Now before you might be all "Wait, another festival at Epcot???

Are people bitching about this? Please tell me this disclaimer wasn't put here because people are bitching about this now. Please.

Yes, of course people complained when it was announced because that's all people do now... *sigh*

But let's just break that down for a moment. Let's assume that even if you weren't interested in this festival at all, what is the alternative? Having just normal Epcot with no extra features? And trust me, I *LOVE* regular old classic "Vanilla" Epcot, and that is still one of my favorite parks in the world.

So that being said, again, let's just assume you don't care about this event at all... Tell me what is the harm in walking around World Showcase and in addition to the already fantastic park, you have some amazing looking Disney-inspired art all over the place, new little "touches" like the added signage, Disney legend artwork on display, wonderful Disney music being sung by professional talented artists, and decent food placed around the world showcase.

Tell me again what the "downside" to this event happening is?

It's like you have said, there is literally NO REASON for anyone to complain at all, but instead of not bitching and being happy, they are coming up with the most inane reasons to complain about, simply because people feel that's what should be done now instead of actually appreciating something new and refreshing that DOESN'T COST THEM A SINGLE PENNY on top of the park entrance ticket and if you wanted to completely avoid it and not pay any attention to anything at the event at all, you easily could.

Shake My Head!

Edited by robbalvey

I don't even know what there is to complain about, an art festival is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect to see at Epcot given that it's practically a giant museum with some rides thrown in, and it's a celebration of human achievement.

If it was Animal Kingdom it'd be a bit more questionable (unless the theme is nature art) but Epcot? Not at all.

wow. . LOVE the idea of this.

and the food all looks incredible.

something I've always wondered, and never quite understood.. .. how do the food stands work? does Disney sell a "passport" that let's you sample all the food options? or do you need to buy each Ala carte?

if the 2nd, I could see that getting very expensive quickly, since I'd want to try everything!

but I'd do it. . . .

just wondering how the food stuff works?

how do the food stands work? does Disney sell a "passport" that let's you sample all the food options? or do you need to buy each Ala carte?

if the 2nd, I could see that getting very expensive quickly

You buy each ala carte. And yes, you are right!

how do the food stands work? does Disney sell a "passport" that let's you sample all the food options? or do you need to buy each Ala carte?

if the 2nd, I could see that getting very expensive quickly

You buy each ala carte. And yes, you are right!

LOL. . yep.

as I said tho, I'd save up my $$ and do it (dunno if you recall from our trip to DC a couple of years back, my tab at the Native American Smithsonian cafeteria was something like $47 just for my own, since I wanted to try so many different things )

This looks like an amazing event and I'm pretty sure if we vacationed there during this festival, we would have to ship a ton of the artwork back home. Some of the displays and art are just AMAZING! I also love the idea for the kids to get involved with Figment. He really is one of the best characters ever created!

Jimmy "My house would be covered with this art" Bo

wow. . LOVE the idea of this.

and the food all looks incredible.

something I've always wondered, and never quite understood.. .. how do the food stands work? does Disney sell a "passport" that let's you sample all the food options? or do you need to buy each Ala carte?

if the 2nd, I could see that getting very expensive quickly, since I'd want to try everything!

but I'd do it. . . .

just wondering how the food stuff works?

I am pretty sure that I easily went through around $100 in food and drink during the spring garden/flower festival, Bert. And that's certainly not a complaint - it's just like you said...there is so much good stuff there that you want to try it all!

The main thing is to pace yourself and try not to overindulge on the heavy sweets (or beer) early so that you can eat a little, go do some attractions, rinse and repeat throughout the day/evening.

...The main thing is to pace yourself and try not to overindulge on the heavy sweets (or beer) early so that you can eat a little, go do some attractions, rinse and repeat throughout the day/evening.

If I ever get to one of these wonderful EPCOT Festivals, I will certainly try to go by, what you suggest, here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey TPR!

Just asking for a little bit of input about epcot.

First off, we are going to visit epcot in april. While looking at all the park has to offer, we came across the snorkeling experience at the living season pavilion and signed up for it. Has anyone on here experienced this? It was quite pricey, but we "hope" it will be as exciting as it looks.

Also, we were looking into the behind the seeds tour as well. Is it worth the time/money to check out?

Thanks for any input.

^I'm not a fan of snorkeling or scuba diving so I have not done either of those experiences. I know people who have done the Scuba experience and really enjoyed it, I'm assuming the snorkeling will be just as good.

We HAVE done the Behind the Seeds tour and really enjoyed it! Very cute and fun.