TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

La Ronde Discussion Thread

^ Well, it seems to be the same with my home park of Canada's Wonderland, where the front row on our SLC isn't half bad.

On another note, I've also learned that La Ronde has a slingshot (reverse bungee ride). I'm pretty pumped to ride it, but if anybody's done it before (or a similar ride), it would be great to know if it's worth the upcharge.

I haven't been on that particular slingshot, but I definitely think it's something you need to try at least once.

As for coasters to ride, I would add Cobra to the list. Not because I think it's an amazing ride (it's not), but because it is a relatively unique experience. There aren't many Intamin stand-ups lying around, from what I've gathered, and it's fun to compare it to your home Togo stand-up, Skyrider. Cobra is certainly smoother, but I happen to think that Skyrider is the better ride.

And despite all of the flack Le Monstre is getting in this thread, I still love it (especially when I compare it to Canada's Wonderland's wooden coasters).

If Cobra is smother than Skyrider (which is only somewhat rough in the corners, which isn't bad considering its a 28 year old TOGO), why do people hate on the Intamin standups so much?.. Are they force less or something?.. Guessing that Cobra wouldn't be as intense as Skyrider.

A breaking news from a guy working at the park (as seen here):

Allo tout le monde!

Ce matin en arrivant au travail sur le Goliath à La Ronde, on a eu la surprise de trouver quelqu'un en train de brancher une antenne wifi surle quai.

Quelques jours plus tôt; des personnes chargées de la com' au parc se sont pointées pour affubler d'une paire de lunettes vraiment bizarre un passager pris au hasard et l'ont pris en photo.

Ce matin donc, on a appris qu'à partir de mi juin, un système de réalité virtuelle synchronisé avec le parcours serait mis en vente sur l'attraction.

Drôle d'idée, mais j'ai plutôt hâte d'essayer ça! Ça va complètement changer le feeling du ride

Translation :

"Hi everybody!

While getting back to work on Goliath this morning, we were surprised to find someone plugging a wifi antenna on the loading platform.

Some days earlier, guys from the marketing department went and put very weird glasses on a random rider and took a picture of him.

So this morning, we've learnt that from mid-June, a virtual reality system, synchronized with the layout will be sold at the ride.

Weird idea, but I can't wait to try it! It will completely change the feel of the ride."

And despite all of the flack Le Monstre is getting in this thread, I still love it (especially when I compare it to Canada's Wonderland's wooden coasters).

Same for me !

Well, i guess Le Monstre (although it seems to be nowhere near the quality of the stuff in the States) seems to be almost like our version of Colossus or American Eagle.... At least in the sense of it being a huge double woodie.

A breaking news from a guy working at the park (as seen here):

Allo tout le monde!

Ce matin en arrivant au travail sur le Goliath à La Ronde, on a eu la surprise de trouver quelqu'un en train de brancher une antenne wifi surle quai.

Quelques jours plus tôt; des personnes chargées de la com' au parc se sont pointées pour affubler d'une paire de lunettes vraiment bizarre un passager pris au hasard et l'ont pris en photo.

Ce matin donc, on a appris qu'à partir de mi juin, un système de réalité virtuelle synchronisé avec le parcours serait mis en vente sur l'attraction.

Drôle d'idée, mais j'ai plutôt hâte d'essayer ça! Ça va complètement changer le feeling du ride

Translation :

"Hi everybody!

While getting back to work on Goliath this morning, we were surprised to find someone plugging a wifi antenna on the loading platform.

Some days earlier, guys from the marketing department went and put very weird glasses on a random rider and took a picture of him.

So this morning, we've learnt that from mid-June, a virtual reality system, synchronized with the layout will be sold at the ride.

Weird idea, but I can't wait to try it! It will completely change the feel of the ride."

Interressing new, but I doubt I'd like the experience as I think dark rides and roller coasters should remain separated. And giving glasses to every rider will make the dispatch process even longer !

Curious to see how it'll come out, though...

And also...

Any update on the PTC's? I'm going on the 20th of this month.

Le Monstre is not open yet, as the trains are too heavy for the structure and there's much problems with those. Apparently La Ronde will try to open one-side one-train for the summer, but for the moment it's not yet open.

^Don't worry, Goliath and Vampire are the most reliable rides of the park . I *think* Le Monstre is supposed to re-open this week-end, but I'm not sure yet. I've found that info on a La Ronde fan forum, and all the rumors going on around Le Monstre makes it a little confusing. I'll update that info if I can check it out tommorow !

EDIT : ok, I just understood why you asked the question about Goliath. I don't know at all, I'll try to give the information tommorow as well.

I will be going to the park June 30. I know I should get a flash pass but if I choose not to, what order should I do the coasters if I get there first thing in the morning? I am driving up from Burlington and wondered if there is parking at the park since it is in the city? Thanks for any tips.

I will be going to the park June 30. I know I should get a flash pass but if I choose not to, what order should I do the coasters if I get there first thing in the morning? I am driving up from Burlington and wondered if there is parking at the park since it is in the city? Thanks for any tips.

It is actually on a island that has a park and a biosphere as well so yes there is parking. However, if you want to save a few bucks on parking then I recommend parking at the biosphere and walking down to the park as it isn't too far.

^Yes there is parking at the park, it's 18$ for regular and 25$ for premium (closer to the entrance). If you don't get a flash pass, ride Le Monstre first, Le Goliath second, and finally Le vampire. If you're lucky, you may still have time to ride something else, than ride in any order. Even if you don't want to, I strongly suggest to anyone visiting La Ronde to get a Flash Pass, as most days are completely packed.

Thank you. Recently I went to SFNE and SFGAdv and bought the Flash Pass and felt it was not really needed. At SFNE it was a Saturday and the rides were a walk on and here I am with a Flash Pass. At least at SFGAdv during the midday I got out of waiting. Should I go Gold or Plat? Should I do it in advance or wait until I get there? Thanks for the tips. I am going alone so if anybody wanted to meet up that would be cool. Also I don't know a lick of French.

^Normal Flash Pass will probably be ok, Gold at the limit, but not platinum; this is a waste of money. Also I don't recommend to buy in advance, buy it at the park after you saw the quantity of peoples there (even if most days are packed, as I said, on some rare days the rides are a walk-in if you're lucky). For the french, don't worry, most employees are willing to help non-french speaking persons and by the way most peoples talk english very well in Montreal. Just in case, "Bonjour" means "Hello" and "Merci" means "Thank you" ! But as I said you will be ok for the language.

It is actually on a island that has a park and a biosphere as well so yes there is parking. However, if you want to save a few bucks on parking then I recommend parking at the biosphere and walking down to the park as it isn't too far.

I'm not certain if the biosphere charges for parking, but a better idea might be to drive down to the Yellow Line Mētro station at the Universite de Sherbrooke in Longueuil (south of the Island of Montreal), and just take the metro one stop to the Jean Drapeau station which has busses that take you right from the station to La Ronde. I'd also recommend getting the day pass for this, which will cost 9 dollars. However, if Biosphere parking is cheaper, then go for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at vids of La Ronde, as I'm going in a couple of days (haven't been since I was like 5), and noticed their space shot seems to stop quite far below the top of the tower... I'm not sure if this is just the angle that the videos were shot, or if it's simply the fact that most older space shots have more clearance between the top of the tower and the car and I just haven't noticed, but it just looks strange.

If its not for the above reasons that I've guessed, can someone explain what's going on?

• 4 weeks later...

^I went there yesterday and took some photos of the ride for my trip report to be posted soon. I didn't have waterproof gear with me so it was only photos from a safe distance but it looks like guests really liked it. The ride didn't spin as much as I expected it to; less like teacups and more like round splash battle boats.

• 2 weeks later...

^B&M started their careers at Giovanola, who were a frequent collaborator with Intamin (Giovanola fabricated the rides; Intamin sold them and took care of the rest).

• 4 weeks later...

main_SFLaRondeDemon.jpg.60f4bda59700a4d82d60757cf8181956.jpg

It’s official. Coming in 2014, La Ronde will introduce a high-flying inverted experience: a brand new swinging, twisting, and spinning ride. The all-new Demon will feature impressive heights, heart-racing swings, unpredictable spins, stomach-tightening flips, and soaking water jets. This new attraction will provide an adrenaline rush like no other when it lifts riders up 40 meters in the air and flips them head-over-heels, swinging them side-to-side for a wild adventure. You won’t be able to tell which way is up in this giant gondola.

You’ll take a seat with 31 other bold riders and load back-to-back into the giant gondola structure. The two metal arms holding you up can rotate, pivot, swing, and move randomly. You’ll first complete several back and forth side-to-side swings. Then, rising up 14 meters, the flexible arms will rotate irregularly, causing the entire gondola to move, turn, and rock with unpredictable movement. The thrill ride plays on your anticipation as you wait for the next wild motion that will flip you entirely upside down in a gut-wrenching inverted hang, spin you around in a whirling rush, or toss you high and low. The giant arm will sway you and twist you until you can’t see straight. Demon offers inverted views of the park as you hang up in the air and twist upside down.

If that’s not enough excitement, you’ll also have to anticipate the sixteen water jets that spray up from the platform. These bursts of water will shoot out erratically to soak riders at random moments during the ride.

Are you ready to take on this all-new spinning ride?

Most likely the Moser or Zamperla variant. I can however dream that just MAYBE Vekoma have somehow managed to sell another Waikiki Wave Super Flip as they are a much superior ride to the Moser variant's i've ridden. However considering that Extreme Supernova at the Great Escape appears to be a Zamperla ride (based on the concept art and statistics for both the ride and the Zamperla "Midi Discovery" variant) it could well be a Zamperla Windshear. Only time will tell though, let's just hope that Six Flags run it on a decent cycle.