Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 329: Newest Steel Curtain construction photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Re: Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:48 am

I don't think anyone is actually mad about it anymore.
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Dollywood, Cedar Point
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Steel Vengeance, Phantom's Revenge, Maverick
Top 3 Wood Coasters: Lightning Rod, El Toro, Phoenix
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Zipper, It
169 coasters

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby eddie200330 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:12 pm

Philrad71 wrote:Hopefully this will be huge success! I love this idea although options for nearby lodging are not the greatest, so would need a DD, Uber or taxi for the event.

Won't be able to make it this year, but will try to go next year. Here's to hoping that someone on here will go and do a trip report??? Pretty pleeeeeaasse???? :)

And thanks for the tip on the beer garden times, Mark. The last time we went, there was no alcohol available in the park at all, so this is definitely a step in the right direction. I remember thinking when we were there...this is Pittsburgh and they don't sell beer at a park? Boooooo!!!!!!

We just got back from an extended weekend and stayed at the Hampton in West Mifflin........only a few minutes from the park(with good GPS LOL) and it was very nice and moderately cheap.

Also, from this trip I was highly disappointed with the Auto Race........why was it slowed down so much...it almost crawled around the track.
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:19 pm

^ Great...thanks for the tip as we normally try to shoot for Hampton Inn's when we travel now.

I hear you about the GPS...we also found out that it's not overly difficult to get lost in that area as well as in downtown where you spend half your time in a tunnel! :lol:

Postby eddie200330 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:25 pm

Philrad71 wrote:^ Great...thanks for the tip as we normally try to shoot for Hampton Inn's when we travel now.

I hear you about the GPS...we also found out that it's not overly difficult to get lost in that area as well as in downtown where you spend half your time in a tunnel! :lol:

It was actually pretty easy with the Kennywood arrows......and there's plenty of eats around the hotel and one of the nicest continental breakfasts I have seen for a hotel.

Postby bert425 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:40 pm

eddie200330 wrote:
Philrad71 wrote:^ Great...thanks for the tip as we normally try to shoot for Hampton Inn's when we travel now.

It was actually pretty easy with the Kennywood arrows......and there's plenty of eats around the hotel and one of the nicest continental breakfasts I have seen for a hotel.

is that the one that's on the Waterfront?

if yes, so close to the park, and LOTS of restaurants right there (and bars). . . we stayed there a couple of years ago.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby eddie200330 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:52 pm

bert425 wrote:
eddie200330 wrote:

is that the one that's on the Waterfront?

if yes, so close to the park, and LOTS of restaurants right there (and bars). . . we stayed there a couple of years ago.

No.....it is in the West Mifflin area.......kinda Southeast from the park.........http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/pennsylvania/hampton-inn-pittsburgh-west-mifflin-PITWMHX/index.html

Postby bert425 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:02 pm

^ ah.

I'd recommend the one on "the Waterfront" too then :)

it's seriously less than 10 minutes from Kennywood, and was beautiful area.

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/pennsylvania/hampton-inn-and-suites-pittsburgh-waterfront-west-homestead-PITWHHX/index.html
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:35 pm

Plans for 2018 coaster revealed at City Council Meeting
KENNY.jpeg
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Twisted Timbers
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Wildfire

Pro Rock-O-Plane Flyer

Postby nannerdw » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:34 pm

I made a 3d overlay with the elevation data, so you can see the terrain height along the track layout.
and a version with orthographic projection: http://i.imgur.com/wg25adG.png

I still have no idea what's up with that mouse turn. I'm thinking it's between a brake run and a lift hill, though. It looks like this ride could just drop right from station height, like Thunderbolt and Jack Rabbit do, or it could have a small lift hill. The elevation change going into that ravine is about 30 m (100 ft).
Last edited by nannerdw on Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:05 pm.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Samuel » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:37 pm

Wow! Great find! We can also use the Google overhead to get a feel for the proposed area (look for the buildings to the right of the current park/compare them to the plans). As can be seen, it looks like there will be yet another dramatic setting for another iconic coaster in Kennywood's near future!

Check it out
kw1.jpg
Lots of space available space for a real doozy!
kw2.jpg
The terrain looks as juicy as the Phantom area
k3.jpg
The drop-off & overall ravine is big -- astounding potential for the proposed layout
kw4.jpg
The area from the bridge outside the park
kw5.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!