Fun Spot America Discussion Thread

P. 172 - Mine Blower Grand Opening Media Event TR!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Re: NEWS: Fun Spot Action Park Announces White Lightning!

Postby djcoastermark » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:40 pm

In the latest newsletter I received from Funspot, they show dirt being moved for Gatorland Experience, AND ,that the Screaming Swings are under construction and coming very soon.

Delicious & Refreshing

Re: NEWS: Fun Spot Action Park Announces White Lightning!

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:45 am

Today Fun Spot America held a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Gator Spot by Gatorland experience coming to the park in a few months. This first-of-its-kind partnership between Fun Spot America Theme Parks and Gatorland will allow Fun Spot guests to see baby gators, birds, crocodiles and even a rare Albino Gator for just $6. This $1 million project will be constructed in roughly two months and is opening opposite the park's Tilt-A-Whirl attraction.
DSC09833.JPG
It wouldn't be a Gatorland experience without gators!
DSC09835.JPG
The entrance of Gator Spot by Gatorland will definitely represent the Gatorland wooded-flair well.
DSC09837.JPG
The new attraction will offer a great sampling of all that Gatorland has to offer at their park.
DSC09839.JPG
This plot will look VERY different in just a few months.
DSC09840.JPG
Ready for the main event...
DSC09841.JPG
A look at the full construction plot.
DSC09846.JPG
John Arie Jr., the face of Fun Spot America Theme Parks started the ceremony with a few words about the project.
DSC09862.JPG
Invited guests included Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer and more!
DSC09864.JPG
A meeting of industry moguls, John Arie Jr. of Fun Spot America Theme Parks and Gatorland CEO Mark McHugh shared some fun jokes on stage!
DSC09867.JPG
Mark shared some more background on the joint project's history, which began over a year ago at which time John Arie Sr. mentioned to him that they were contemplating adding a gator experience at Fun Spot America. That initial thought was soon explored as a joint-partnership and the rest is history.
DSC09885.JPG
A fun shot of the groundbreaking ceremony with some great expressions to match!
DSC09889.JPG
Gatorland even brought some animals from the park! I was able to hold a parrot!
DSC09894.JPG
The long-awaited installation of the Screamin' Swing, now to be known as Space Invader, is finally beginning.
DSC09896.JPG
The Air Raid attraction near the entrance of the park is being packed up as well.
DSC09897.JPG
While we were here, it didn't hurt to take a ride on the incredibly fun White Lightning--still the crown jewel of the park!
DSC09899.JPG
Thanks again to Fun Spot America and Gatorland for hosting us today! We can't wait to see Gator Spot by Gatorland when it opens in just a few months!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Re: Fun Spot America Discussion Thread

Postby PCW_Nut » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:00 am

Is the Air Race being relocated or fully removed? Thought they just installed this.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:50 am

^ I was wondering the same thing. I was looking forward to hopefully riding it this spring.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby BlahBlahson » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:14 pm

^It is gone and an employee was surprisingly open with me as to why. Near the top of the ride there was a lot of electrical wiring that was exposed to the elements and the ride would go down basically every time it rained. Obviously that doesn't work in central Florida.

The grass underneath the ride wasn't even fully dead. Classic Zamperla. A completely different replacement attraction is planned for the spot, timetable unknown.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Postby PCW_Nut » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:21 pm

That's definitively a surprising reason for sure. I know it rains a lot in Orlando and what not it's not like none of these rides are located outside, such as at Luna Park. I am not expert or anything but just seems like a problem that would've been resolved rather than removed.

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:41 pm

BlahBlahson wrote:^It is gone and an employee was surprisingly open with me as to why. Near the top of the ride there was a lot of electrical wiring that was exposed to the elements and the ride would go down basically every time it rained. Obviously that doesn't work in central Florida.

The grass underneath the ride wasn't even fully dead. Classic Zamperla. A completely different replacement attraction is planned for the spot, timetable unknown.

So, they thought it easier to remove a brand new ride, instead of working with Zamperla on fixing a seemingly simple issue? This reason doesn't really add up.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby BlahBlahson » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:51 pm

They may have been able to sell it back or sell it off easily since it is so new. Today they were able to pack up the entire foundation of the ride (base/supports/fencing) in about two hours with 4 guys so It was easy to remove.

I just asked if it was gone for good or going off to be refurbished and that was the answer given. He said it would operate better if it were indoors. Still, something else is destined for its spot. He actually told me what as well but it's weird to be given that previous information so IDK if I should say what's coming in its place.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Postby djcoastermark » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:51 pm

Much as I hate to see AirRace leave, I am really exited that the screaming swings are coming soon. I could ride Air Race a couple of times before my stomach said No More. But I can ride screaming swings all day. (and have marathoned it BTW) I wonder where the swings are going in at? The old Air Race spot would be good. Any Ideas as to where they are going ?

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Garet » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:06 pm

BlahBlahson wrote:^It is gone and an employee was surprisingly open with me as to why. Near the top of the ride there was a lot of electrical wiring that was exposed to the elements and the ride would go down basically every time it rained. Obviously that doesn't work in central Florida.

Doesn't Drayton Manor have the same ride? England gets plenty of rain throughout operating season.
Last edited by Garet on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:17 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!