Golden Ticket Awards 2019

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Golden Ticket Awards 2019

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:06 pm

Taylor Finn wrote:
SharkTums wrote:^And either of those parks beating out Legoland, Sesame Place, DISNEY, Gilroy Gardens, Knoebels, ANY PARK IN EUROPE, etc. is wrong.

Yeah, I mean... it is just... not really something I can comprehend. Clearly, Dutch Wonderland is a KID'S park. But so is Sesame Place and Legoland. And Disney is an everyone park... but that doesn't mean it isn't also a park largely catered to children and children at heart. I understand that if Disney were considered fairly, they would likely sweep quite a few categories year after year. But they should just explicitly say we are excluding Disney, because it comes off as odd when they have won with TOT in years past, but somehow don't take home Best Theme Park Food or Best Kid's Park.

Ah well.

Yeah it's tricky. I would hope most people understand that Disney would sweep most of the categories, so to me it's interesting to see which non-Disney parks win. But then, it's weird when there are a few Disney wins thrown in.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby zspaw » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:45 pm

Hmm something looks off here lol
20190909_224411.jpg
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/0ba4ff11f9ff9f9d87f2373a4c05260d.jpg[/img][/url]

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Dombot » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:37 am

Turtle Wax wrote:I think my favorite part of the awards this year is that Steel Curtain placed higher than Yukon Striker for best coaster in 2019 but Yukon is ranked #34 and Steel Curtain is ranked #42. :lmao:

Rill'o'beily wrote:Probably says something that the official issue (and the presentation) lists Untamed under "Walibi Belgium"

zspaw wrote:Image

Man, if these aren't the signs that you've got a quality awards show, I just don't know what they are. :lol: :lol: :lol:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Goliath (SFoG) 5. Mako
6. Twisted Cyclone 7. Alpengeist 8. Mine Blower 9. Montu 10. Incredible Hulk

"If you trip me I will crumble and fall because I am a poorly structured building" ~Carson King

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Angle O. Descent » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:53 am

zspaw wrote:Hmm something looks off here lol

The fact that it's not a B&M, or because it cracked the top 50? :lmao:

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Angle O. Descent » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:00 am

In all fairness, the wooden list looks more reasonable than the steel list. If Beast and Goliath were to simply trade spots and some reshuffling, the top 10 wood would actually look not that bad.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Invertalon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:26 am

y2lukin wrote:haha MF over Steel Vengeance? Really?? Does anyone think that?

Me.

I don't love Steel Vengeance and much prefer rides on MF.
-Steve

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Anything » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:20 am

Great work for Valhalla once again - a truly impressive ride!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:26 am

Invertalon wrote:

Me.

I don't love Steel Vengeance and much prefer rides on MF.

While I prefer Steel Vengeance, I can understand why others might prefer Millennium Force. I prefer Maverick to both of them.

Postby DILinator » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm

prozach626 wrote:

Me. And my wife. MF over Steel Vengeance along with Maverick, Valravn, and Top Thrill.

Fight me.

You guys were definitely the ones I was thinking of when I made my earlier post in regard to that comment! :lol:

I love MF too, and I absolutely think it's a more non-enthusiast friendly coaster than SV, which is why it places high in the Golden Tickets year after year. I don't have any insider info about payola or anything else I've seen referenced throughout this thread, but honestly, I've always felt like the GT's were more for the GP anyway, and the majority of people attending Amusement Parks other than our small enthusiast subset. We finally have the fabulous TPR Poll now for us enthusiasts, and I think that's great! This way we can see how fellow enthusiasts feel about coasters, since we're the ones dedicating a decent portion of our lives and attention to them. However, I do think there's a place for the Golden Ticket Awards as far as the rest of society goes, and from looking at the results, they are very reflective of my interactions with non-enthusiasts in regard to parks and coasters, of which I have a great deal more interaction than enthusiasts (at least in person.) So, for that reason, I don't see them as worthless, and unnecessary. Just a more mainstream, non-enthusiast perspective on what's "BIG" in the theme park world.

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Postby coasterbill » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:43 pm

The Golden Ticket awards are a joke, but ranking Millennium Force really high isn't at all unreasonable. Of all the things to pick apart, that's not really one of them.

Personally I love super intense rides and Maverick and Steel Vengeance are some of my favorite coasters anywhere but (as everyone knows by now) I still prefer Millennium Force. The view from the top is stunning, getting ripped through the overbanks is great, the pullout of the drop is super intense, I love the low to the ground moments where it flies by trees and buildings and through tunnels to really exaggerate the sensation of insane speed. The ride is just so f*cking fast and it never lets up. I always walk off of it with a huge sh*t eating grin on my face because it's just so damn fun. We went to the park for the only time this year over Labor day weekend and despite having the best rides we've ever had on Steel Vengeance and absolutely loving every second of that ride I still like Millennium Force better. We got a front seat ride on it the day that we left and it was just so fantastic.

Oh, and it does have *some* airtime. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!