Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 660 - Sidewinder Safari Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby Bubba » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:32 am

jray21 wrote:I can't remember the last time I rode Kong. The painful memories still keep me away.

I'm still trying to comprehend how they were even able to put VR on that ride. The season they did it was the year I didn't get a pass so I never figured out, although I don't think I would ever try VR on that ride. I have earrings now too & flashback to the day when my father got stabbed by his earrings coming off that painful ride.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:13 am

I guess I've just ridden Kong too much, I have a good bracing technique. Assuming it doesn't have a ridiculous line and one-train op, I still give it a ride every time I visit. Now Boomerang? I just pass by it and laugh.

Side note, but does Wonder Woman make any of you feel nauseous despite having no troubles with other rides? It was more the beginning and end of the ride (when it was spinning a lot and not swinging as much), but both times we rode it, it made my stomach hurt. I've never had a problem with similar rides.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby CrazedZooChimp » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:20 pm

Bubba wrote:
jray21 wrote:I can't remember the last time I rode Kong. The painful memories still keep me away.

I'm still trying to comprehend how they were even able to put VR on that ride. The season they did it was the year I didn't get a pass so I never figured out, although I don't think I would ever try VR on that ride. I have earrings now too & flashback to the day when my father got stabbed by his earrings coming off that painful ride.

It actually wasn't too bad. It had been years since I'd ridden it, but they did a little reprofiling in the middle and adjusted the restraints, and those both helped. I found especially towards the front with the VR I felt fine (relatively). Back was still not great, but not a nauseating as I expected.

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:Side note, but does Wonder Woman make any of you feel nauseous despite having no troubles with other rides? It was more the beginning and end of the ride (when it was spinning a lot and not swinging as much), but both times we rode it, it made my stomach hurt. I've never had a problem with similar rides.

Definitely. While it's spinning low towards the ground and moving slowly it definitely makes me feel queasy. It's kind of a problem because it takes awhile for it to slow down and stop at the end, so I'll be enjoying it in the middle of the ride, then while it's slowing down decide I'd really like to get off :lmao:
Read stuff I write (mostly about NorCal happenings) over at Coaster101!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:53 pm

Bubba wrote:

Oh man it was just as horrible as I expected it to be. The only way Kong is bearable for me now is because I can see the track ahead and turn my head accordingly to avoid head banging, but being effectively blindfolded I was just tossed around like a rag doll. It sucked. First time was the last time with that VR.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby jfruge » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:17 pm

I’m visiting the park for the first time tomorrow, and noticed that Superman is closed today. Anyone have any information regarding the closure?

Postby TM3988 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:22 am

jfruge wrote:I’m visiting the park for the first time tomorrow, and noticed that Superman is closed today. Anyone have any information regarding the closure?

No news here. But how was your visit? Was Superman open?

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby scooterdoug » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:51 pm

TM3988 wrote:
jfruge wrote:I’m visiting the park for the first time tomorrow, and noticed that Superman is closed today. Anyone have any information regarding the closure?

I went yesterday. Superman is still closed. I assume it's for annual routine maintenance, which lasts from 6-8 weeks. Also, The Joker has been down to one train operation since the beginning of January. The second train has been sitting on the transfer track this entire time. Not sure what's going on there.
Aikido: Why fight when you can flow?

Postby TM3988 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:06 pm

scooterdoug wrote:
TM3988 wrote:

I went yesterday. Superman is still closed. I assume it's for annual routine maintenance, which lasts from 6-8 weeks. Also, The Joker has been down to one train operation since the beginning of January. The second train has been sitting on the transfer track this entire time. Not sure what's going on there.

Off season I suppose.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby jfruge » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:44 pm

TM3988 wrote:

My visit was great! Superman was unfortunately closed for annual maintenance. My rides were as follows...

The Joker - x2
Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth
v2: Vertical Velocity
Kong
Medusa
Daredevil Chaos Coaster
Boomerang

I entered the park at opening...memo to members: all the lines at the entrance take memberships. I walked straight over to The Joker and basically walked on (two train wait). Operations were good, although the ride operator seemed slightly less than excited that we were all there. Nevertheless, I got seated in the front row and really enjoyed the ride. The Joker is absolutely in my top 10 coasters. I loved how convoluted the layout was and the airtime pops were awesome. (10/10)

After the Joker, I west straight to v2, which was walk on. I rode in the front row on this as well. Good ride, although not as good as it’s sister in Chicago. (7/10)

I decided to round out the superhero area and get a ride in on Wonder Woman. Since my home park is SFOT, I had already ridden a giant discovery, but I enjoy these rides so much. SFDK definitely has a winner on its hands (9/10)

This is the part of the day when I started making stupid choices. I decided that, having never ridden a Vekoma SLC, I should give Kong a try. It was walk on, and for good reason. It was only slightly less rough than X2...and that’s saying something, and unfortunately, not very thrilling. I’d hope Six Flags is investigating options to revamp or replace this coaster. (2/10)

After Kong, I headed straight over to Medusa. Despite being in desperate need of a new paint job, the ride is fantastic. I was also pleasantly surprised at how quiet the ride was. I had to skip a second ride, but the coaster was solid. (6/10)

After Medusa, I decided to be super stupid and try the Daredevil Chaos Coaster. Not my cup of tea, just leave it there. (4/10)

I took off immediately for boomerang, walked on and immediately regretted my decision. I’ve gotten to old for Boomerangs (2/10)

I got another ride on the Joker before heading out. All in all, a great day!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Fire2box » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:02 pm

Went on superbowl sunday as well. Sign outside superman did say it was closed down for it's annual maintenance. also didn't realize they tore down The Oasis Club bar/snack bar by V2. With how much land is cleared there I suspect that's where Harly Quinn will go.

anyways finally went on Wonder Woman and yeah, that ride is terrifying from the highest perspective and swinging towards the ground but it was incredibly smooth. Felt a bit sick from the minor swinging and rotation when it was settling back down at the station. Clearing the full height of superman was a bit crazy.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!