Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 660 - Sidewinder Safari Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby Fire2box » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:46 am

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:As much as I think a dark ride would be great, I'm expecting it to reopen as a 4D motion simulator ride again. Why else would they announce it in January instead of waiting for the typical Fall Six Flags announcements? I'd be surprised if it was anything more than that at this point, as I think they would wait until Fall if it was Justice League, which very well might happen to it in the future.

Pros of it being a motion simulator theater is they can do Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park overlays and change the program every few years if one becomes outdated or unpopular.

I don't think anyone was suggesting (or thinking) it be replaced with a dark ride. But just telling what we'd want for a dark ride if the park makes space for one. A motion simulator ride is really cool to have especially since "roar" will now be a multiple inversion roller coaster when I first went on Dinosphere, it really felt like a roller coaster to me.

Also, as someone who wears glasses, I hope the glasses they hand out can fit over my prescription glasses. though I can take em off and see less detail which is the sucky part.

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby sixflagsguy5 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:54 am

The Joker looks awesome all around- sweet logo and cool color scheme with the different track colors. I hope this one's as much of a knockout as the other RMC's have been! It'll definitely shake up the Northern California market.
Selling off my coaster collection on ebay -- http://stores.ebay.com/amusementcollection

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby CrazedZooChimp » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:58 am

Screamscape is hinting that it's going to be Pacific Rim themed...

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_discovery_kingdom.htm
Read stuff I write (mostly about NorCal happenings) over at Coaster101!

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:41 pm

On SFDK's Instagram: "Hold on tight, the new 3D projectors are in but did you know the new attraction will be 5D? #Iwerks #New"
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Hakugei|Skyrush
Lightning Rod|T Express|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby livai » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:32 pm

It sounds like a great response to cga.
cga will be a new show in 5d? we give you the same plus a coaster of the last generation.
leviathan & fury 325 = waste of money

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby WayCool64 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:33 pm

CrazedZooChimp wrote:Screamscape is hinting that it's going to be Pacific Rim themed...

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_discovery_kingdom.htm

If this is true, I so hope it's not like those recent movie-based 4D attractions where they just take the movie and try to shorten it to more or less than 10 minutes and label it as a ride.

chickenbowl wrote:On SFDK's Instagram: "Hold on tight, the new 3D projectors are in but did you know the new attraction will be 5D? #Iwerks #New"

I'm curious how this will turn out. Call it a coincidence if you want, but if that's not a clear sign they're wanting to compete with Mass Effect: New Earth at CGA, then I dunno what.
Love animation and video games? Check out my Dinosaur Planet fanseries project: http://dpfanseries.webs.com/

To serve with excellence

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:59 pm

I'm still not really sure what 5D is supposed to mean (anyone care to explain?), but I find it hilarious that SFDK appears to be deliberately quipping at CGA.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby WayCool64 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:30 pm

I believe the basic definition for 5D is just a standard 4D ride mixed with a motion simulator. However, I think any company can make up what exactly 5D/6D/7D/etc is.

I'm still surprised that SFDK is trying to go all the way to compete with CGA by opening a new 4D (or in this case, 5D) simulator attraction, even though they already have a new coaster on the way for this year.
Love animation and video games? Check out my Dinosaur Planet fanseries project: http://dpfanseries.webs.com/

To serve with excellence

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby millertpr » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:36 pm

I would say the most important thing about the action theater replacement is the IP. Six Flags owns several IPs from Warner Bros and more could be made. I think Pacific Rim is a bit of an outdated IP, and the movie wasn't very good. I think you would just be getting scenes from the movie. I think Scooby Doo, Teen Titans Go, or Godzilla would be the best option, and yes, I know that Godzilla is basically a bad version of Kong down Highway 1.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/e622c94bcc03087feff94e4513e6f51e.jpg[/img][/url]

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby SafariRob » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:06 pm

SFDK actually listens to guest feedback. I know because several things I have pointed out to them and suggested were addressed shortly after I filled out the survey. Guests have been begging them to bring back the Action Theater for years, and I believe they wanted to, but the ROI just didn't make sense. Remember, it was shut down because it was too costly to maintain.

Here's my theory...and this is pure speculation on my part.

SFDK was waiting for the right opportunity to bring it back in some form. Maybe they received offers from various IPs to revamp the theater and they were holding out for something better...like JL:EFM. They probably lobbied corporate to get JL:EFM and hoped to put it in that space. When they realized it wasn't going to happen (at least, not in the near future), they started re-examining other options.

Meanwhile, the economy picks up. AP's go up. Revenue goes up. They look down the road and worry about an attendance drop in 2016 because El Nino and the fact that there simply isn't enough to do indoors (or at least attractions to take refuge in the rain). Joker is coming in May...but that's another outdoor coaster. What could they do to get an attendance bump in early 2016 just as El Nino ramps up? They have the unused Action Theater. That's a major indoor attraction. They started entertaining offers from various IPs and chose the one that made the most financial sense (which is the one that kicked in the most money to help revamp the defunct theater).

And there you have it. People are buzzing about it. I would actually consider a trip in the rain now because of it...and that's what they want.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!