Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1963: Wonder Woman : Lasso of Truth Media Day
Users viewing this topic: krakenmaniac and 23 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby skyrocket010 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:41 pm

What day does Wonder Woman actually open to the general public? I have a membership but my friend doesn't. I really want to ride but I don't want to be rude and ditch him. Can anyone also give me an idea of what type of crowds I can expect at the park? We're going Saturday.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue May 21, 2019 4:28 am

I have no idea if that ride is supposed to open this weekend. It was supposed to open last weekend, but it got pushed back to this weekend and now those event details have once again changed to not include ERT on the ride but on Batman and Dark Knight instead. So something is up. Rumor among locals/regulars is the ride isn't opening at all this weekend due to inspection delays or possibly even an issue with the ride itself. But that's all hearsay. Though you can see for yourself the website does not say anything about the ride actually opening.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/special-events/celebration/wonder-woman%E2%84%A2-member-appreciation-event

There is also a Comic Con event happening Saturday and Sunday.

As far as crowds? Its a holiday weekend and as of right now the weather for Saturday looks great, while Sunday and Monday look like a greater chance of potential showers. My prediction? If this forecast doesn't change? Its going to be absolutely mobbed on Saturday. Budget for fast pass.

Postby boldikus » Tue May 21, 2019 1:57 pm

Update: the ride will not open this weekend. This was sent out to members.
WW.jpg

Postby skyrocket010 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:54 pm

boldikus wrote:Update: the ride will not open this weekend. This was sent out to members.

Sheesh, that sucks! I was looking forward to riding it. Thanks for your help. Will the regular flash pass suffice on extremely busy days?

Postby boldikus » Tue May 21, 2019 3:52 pm

Personally, I'd go for gold, but its gonna depend on the crowd. Keep an eye on the weather. If its nice, you can be assured it will be busy. Gold gets the job done as long as you reserve your next ride as soon as the scan you into the current ride you're about to board.

Also, I have to hand it to the park for not waiting until like Saturday morning to announce the ride wouldn't be opening. Its actually out of character for them to give a heads-up this far in advance.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Sluggo77 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:26 pm

The park is still working towards testing and inspection approval. Obviously they aren’t loving the delay but I’m sure it will be done soon. We’ll get to ride this awesome new flat in the very near future! BTW boldikus so agree with your comment about the parks early honesty.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby LBIJim » Wed May 22, 2019 1:15 am

coasterbill wrote:If it's Fright Fest they would open the park in a hurricane. If the park is dead they will close for a light drizzle.

The park closed early (4 pm, I think) on the last day of Fright Fest in 2012. It was the day before Hurricane Sandy hit and was rainy and miserable. A friend who was there said attendance was low.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby DarienPoint » Wed May 22, 2019 11:57 am

^ They also closed early for HITP in 2016 due to low attendance and freezing conditions, and because of that, half the rides they said were open on the website for HITP were closed. PLUS, they ended the season early due to cold weather and delayed their 2017 season for the same reason.
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 100 || Parks: 16
100th Coaster: Comet @ TGE :b
Top 10: 1. Superman the Ride | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Millennium Force | 4. Maverick | 5. Leviathan | 6. Goliath (La Ronde) | 7. Kingda Ka | 8. Behemoth | 9. Bizzaro | 10. El Toro

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby jamesinclair » Wed May 22, 2019 12:26 pm

Having the "WONDER WOMAN™ - Member Appreciation Event" with the ride not ready to open is hilarious.

Postby skyrocket010 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:27 am

I’ve wanted to experience this park for the past 10 years and yesterday I FINALLY got the chance. This park is awesome! Definitely my second favorite behind Cedar Point. Overall the coaster lineup is solid. A few coasters actually surprised me. I had a tough time picking my top five. Operations were also very impressive.

El Toro - AMAZING! Second to last seat was the best. There’s nothing I could say about this coaster that hasn’t been said.

Superman - The pretzel loop has to be the most intense element of any coaster I’ve ever experienced. I expected this ride to be a let down since it just seemed like a bunch of curves. Boy was I wrong! I was obsessed with this thing. It’s so much better than the Vekoma Flying Dutchman.

Kingda Ka - Once I noticed this ride was down 4 hours I expected it to last the entire day, since I constantly hear how bad Six flags operations are. Nope, the ride opened around 8:30 and we managed to get on in under 30 mins. I loved it! I didn’t notice any roughness. I sat in the third row. The OTSR also didn’t make too much of a difference to me. Although there’s no airtime, I did appreciate the small hill following the massive drop. Dragsters theming is the only thing that makes me prefer it over this ride.

Bizarro - Hands down the best floorless coaster. Glad to see the effects were working. I’ve been looking for a floorless coaster to impress me the way Dominator did back when it was Batman at Six Flags Ohio. So many inversions! This coaster was very well paced.

Green Lantern - I loved the layout and transitions on this ride. Everything flows so well. I experienced very little if any headbanging. This was the perfect stand up coaster. I have no complaints at all about this ride.

Joker - Pure fun! Very comfortable, very smooth, leagues better than Green Lantern at Magic Mountain. I wish it would have had one more level of track. Would love to see Cedar Point take a coaster like this to new heights and make it even more intense.

Batman - The compact layout mixed with a bunch of twists, turns, and inversions really works for this ride. Although it is a clone, I enjoyed this one better than SFOT.

Nitro - Very underwhelming, this was a surprise. I’ve always looked forward to trying a B&M hyper because I love how open the seats appeared. The ride felt entirely too controlled. I have Phantom’s revenge at my home park. Magnum is also next door. So I’m used to the out of control, “HOLY CRAP” experience on hypers. I may have set my expectations too high. Never thought I’d put a stand up coaster over a hyper.

Dark knight - Horrible! I actually enjoy wild mouse coasters but this coaster has practically no drops. One of the things I love about the wild mouse, are the sudden drops that appear out of nowhere. With this ride being indoors, they had every opportunity to take advantage of that and they didn’t.

I agree with most of the others that this park just needs a giga or multi-launch and it would feel complete. Just one more large scale coaster. I’d give this park an 8 out of 10. Loved it!!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!