Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1996 - Jersey Devil Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby Nitro1118 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:19 pm

boldikus wrote:^ Haha! Yes! That was in fact me, in the magic seat on the first train of the year. Quite proud of that, yeah? Ha! We even got the three horns while going up the lift! LOL

I had stalked out Toro a few times trying to stay in the area after we got there and got word of the valley. I bugged a few ops around the entrance annoyingly more than once asking what he deal was, and by luck I saw they finally opened the queue and about 10 people had lined up. Within the next 5 minutes, the ride opened and I got that first train. Just lucky timing!

I had to move up a row after that and then rode again with coneyislandchris who spotted me with an empty seat next to me. I met up with some other friends and rode it again two times later - the last time they had taken one train out of service creating lametown.

I got there by pure luck. I happened to just check up on it real quick and noticed the queue open but no testing. Got in line and as I got to the build up they announced it was open. Completely made my day :)

I was with my gf who never lets me play the marathon musical chairs game, but 2 rides was cool. Gotta make my own solo trip in the summer so I can marathon 'till my thighs bruise haha. Empty morning El Toro rides are the park's best kept secret, which Joker should only help!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:33 pm

Damn I'm jealous of you guys that made it out to the park today. I was there on El Toro's last operating day back in November, so I guess we were only a few hundred riders apart, lol. I actually don't even have a SF pass this year since I'm doing the whole Kimgs Dominion + Ohio parks thing and I thought it would be fine (I'll be on I-305 this Friday) but man I already miss El Toro. And the park in general sounds like it's doing very well.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Superbatboy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:34 pm

You guys are so lucky to have El Toro at your home park, not to mention Skyrush a few hours away. Oh the sorrow of living on the west coast :cry:
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby livai » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:00 pm

but they were painted the Batman tracks?
leviathan & fury 325 = waste of money

My other car is a carnival ride

Postby strz » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:30 pm

Superbatboy wrote:You guys are so lucky to have El Toro at your home park, not to mention Skyrush a few hours away. Oh the sorrow of living on the west coast :cry:

Ha! Ha! Yes indeed! I will be on Skyrush a week from Friday! 1st time.....

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby coneyislandchris » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:49 am

Quick recap for me:

From 10:30 to 2:30--
Kingda Ka: x1
Zumanjaro: x2
Superman: x2
Green Lantern: hell no
Runaway Mine Train: x1
Bizarro: x3
El Toro: x2
Nitro: x1
Dining Pass: 1 lunch (grilled chicken Caesar salad)

Highlights--
- Having the entire west side of the park open again. Man, I missed these rides!
- Spotting Boldikus on El Toro and sharing an awesome, airtime-filled, non-stapled ride on the bull!
- Absolutely beautiful weather and a mostly empty park made for great rerideability!

Lowlights--
- The totally racist bro-dude I was seated next to on Kingda Ka who felt the need to complain about the slow operations and blamed it all on "Six Flags not hiring Americans, these people can't even understand English and will be gone in 90 days anyway". Ugh. Can people please just keep that crap out of the parks?

Overall though it was a great start to the season and was glad to get in some quality riding!
That coaster dad [335] and that coaster kiddo [212]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Copperhead Strike. Twisted Timbers. Fury 325.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:13 am

Password121 wrote:Damn I'm jealous of you guys that made it out to the park today. I was there on El Toro's last operating day back in November, so I guess we were only a few hundred riders apart, lol. I actually don't even have a SF pass this year since I'm doing the whole Kimgs Dominion + Ohio parks thing and I thought it would be fine (I'll be on I-305 this Friday) but man I already miss El Toro. And the park in general sounds like it's doing very well.

Oh come on pony up the cash for a membership. It's basically free, it's like the cost of one Happy Meal each month. Lol

Also you know you can't resist Holiday in the Park when all the Cedar Fair parks are closed. Lol

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Genx24 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:44 am

The Solar Panel project was finally approved.

Jackson gives OK to Six Flags solar farm

Mike Davis, @byMikeDavis

JACKSON – From the top of the Nitro roller coaster 400 feet in the air, Six Flags Great Adventure visitors may soon glimpse a sea of solar panels tucked into a pocket of preserved forest.

After nearly a year of protests and outcry from residents and environmentalists, the planning board on Tuesday night gave Six Flags and KDC Solar LLC its blessing to clear-cut nearly 15,000 trees on an undeveloped piece of park property, where a 21-megawatt solar farm is to be built.

A total of 18,965 trees are slated for removal. Environmental activists denounced Six Flags Great Adventure's plan to build a 90-acre solar farm at this site in Jackson Township.
To a crowd of nearly 50 people, many wearing white stickers reading "don't kill the Earth to save it," it was a disappointment.
“This gives green energy a black eye. You cannot cut down a forest for solar panels. That’s the opposite of being green,” said Jeff Tittel, executive director of the Sierra Club of New Jersey, one of the groups formally objecting to the project. “You don’t destroy a habitat in a forest in the name of clean energy. You have to do both.

“You have to have the right project and the right site. This was the right project but the wrong site,” Tittel said shortly after the vote.

The facility will consist mostly of ground-mounted solar units, topped off with a few canopies in an employee parking lot.
The six environmental groups formally opposing the project had long argued for the installation of solar canopies over the 100-acre parking lot, as it would provide comparable solar energy without removing trees. Six Flags has dismissed that concept, as it would require the removal of cherished parking spaces.

“The opposition would have you believe that they care more for the Earth than the applicant,” Six Flags attorney Raymond Shea said. “Even when the applicant scaled back its proposal with a solar array and even when the applicant agreed to cover its employee parking lot with canopy-mounted panels, it was not enough.
"It is never enough with these organizations because it seems to me it's either their way or the highway," Shea said.
Last year, those organizations – Clean Water Action, the New Jersey Conservation Foundation, Save Barnegat Bay, Environment New Jersey, the Sierra Club of New Jersey and Crosswicks-Doctors Creek Watershed Association — filed suit against the town, Six Flags Great Adventure and KDC Solar, arguing that a township ordinance allowing solar facilities in conservation zones was directly in violation of the township's master plan.
That suit was held up until the planning board decision, but Clean Water Action campaign director David Pringle was sure of a legal victory, which means "we'll have to go through this all over again.

"The planning board was in the pocket of the developer from day one. They had more than enough discretion to vote no and we think they violated their own ordinances. We'll be here again unless they wise up because the courts are going to tell them they did it wrong."
Throughout the planning board process, opposing attorney Michele Donato argued against nearly every aspect of the project, from the negatives of ground-mounted solar units to the inefficiencies that new grasses would have in stopping the flow of storm water.
“Do you want to live with that the decision the next time K. Hovnanian or some other developer comes forth and says, ‘You let Great Adventure destroy 70 acres. Why can’t we just knock them down? Look what you did with them,’" Donato said. “This application is fundamentally not O.K. and not in any sound planning whatsoever.”
Neighboring residents, many who live along Reed Road, told the board they feared a physical damage and a dip in their property values due to flooding, as the trees are the only thing mitigating runoff during storms.

One of those residents, Marina Shapiro, has since hired the law firm of Gasiorowski & Holobinko to represent her and the Jackson Citizens Coalition, a grassroots group of residents against the project. Funding for the attorneys at least partly came from a GoFundMe donation drive, which had raised $1,115 as of Wednesday afternoon.
Shapiro's attorneys were denied when attempting to produce two expert witnesses at a meeting on Monday.
"It shouldn’t have come down to us residents banding together to spend countless hours and thousands of dollars to become visible to this board and this town," Shapiro said in February. "Our concerns should be front and center above any corporate interests because you’re our neighbors."
Mike Davis: (732) 643-4223; mdavis@gannettnj.com

http://www.app.com/story/news/local/redevelopment/2016/03/23/jackson-six-flags-great-adventure-solar-farm/82168606/
Total Coasters: 140

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:56 am

DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Brassinthegrass » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:42 am

Wow, Nigro grew almost 200ft!!

Amazing what a winter sleep will do!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!