Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1928: Calypso Springs coming to Hurricane Harbor!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 14 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby Highridin » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:17 am

coasterbill wrote:El Diablo is tons of fun and it looks great. I hate myself for saying that but it's true.

Yup, you are right. Fun it is.
The top 3: Twisted Timbers, El Toro, Volcano

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Highridin » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:18 am

michaellynn4 wrote:Heat seeking missiles should be deployed any time someone tries to continue the "carnival ride" argument on this site.

Either that or we should collectively pay a homeless man to piss in said person''s morning cereal.

Agreed
The top 3: Twisted Timbers, El Toro, Volcano

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Superbatboy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:41 am

michaellynn4 wrote:Heat seeking missiles should be deployed any time someone tries to continue the "carnival ride" argument on this site.

Either that or we should collectively pay a homeless man to piss in said person''s morning cereal.

:nina:
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby neil009 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:17 am

You know why El Diablo makes me mad? Because it's a perfectly good flat ride that could easily be 20+ years old, when there are plenty of other decent flat rides that are no longer at SFGAdv that actually WOULD be 20+ years old. It's like you amputate my entire leg then give me my thigh back and tell me I should be grateful.

Step in the right direction maybe, but a step in an even better direction would be a modern, cutting-edge flat ride to replace what was lost.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:53 am

^ I agree with the statement about Great Adventure removing some real quality flats.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Lightnin Loops » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:21 pm

Spot on

coasterbill wrote:This brings to light one thing that I don't get about Six Flags.

Cedar Fair understands that the best way to make people happy is to under promise and over deliver. For example, last year Cedar Point had a passholder preview night. They released a list of rides that would be open. Half way through the night they got Dragster going which wasn't supposed to open and opened it up and tweeted that Dragster was open which everyone got really excited about. Sky Ride wasn't supposed to be open but it wasn't windy but they opened that up too! These are the kind of things you should do. Not realize you're going to be understaffed and let everyone know last minute that "Opening Day presented by Allegra" is now "Preview Day presented by Allegra" with limited ride availability.

They do the same thing with their hours. They say they're open until Midnight but then close lines early. At Cedar Fair parks when they're really busy they sometimes extend hours (usually during haunt events) and at Cedar Point they give you a grace period at all major rides and close the lines after park closing. Under promise and over deliver. That way everyone's happy.

I'm not here to tell anyone how to run their business but I wish they'd adopt that idea. I would think guests would be much happier to embrace it.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby El Toro_Ryan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:24 pm

I saw some new wood around El Toro today. From what I could tell, I did not see any in the turnaround but I saw some in between the second and third hill as well as on the pullout of the crossover hill entering the twister section. There may be more however as I wasn't looking around the entire ride for new track.

Also the A train's new paint absolutely looks fantastic. It hasn't been properly painted in years.
#ThroughputAddict (I need rehab). YOUTUBE PAGE: http://www.youtube.com/c/ElToroRyan

2014: El Toro Team Member
2015: Kingda Ka Team Member
2016: El Toro Unit Supervisor
2017: El Toro Unit Supervisor (Month of April) and Random Team Member when I felt like working (August thru December)
2018: Millennium Force Ride Host (Halloweekends)

Credit Count: 373

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:53 pm

Lightnin Loops wrote:Spot on

coasterbill wrote:This brings to light one thing that I don't get about Six Flags.

Cedar Fair understands that the best way to make people happy is to under promise and over deliver. For example, last year Cedar Point had a passholder preview night. They released a list of rides that would be open. Half way through the night they got Dragster going which wasn't supposed to open and opened it up and tweeted that Dragster was open which everyone got really excited about. Sky Ride wasn't supposed to be open but it wasn't windy but they opened that up too! These are the kind of things you should do. Not realize you're going to be understaffed and let everyone know last minute that "Opening Day presented by Allegra" is now "Preview Day presented by Allegra" with limited ride availability.

They do the same thing with their hours. They say they're open until Midnight but then close lines early. At Cedar Fair parks when they're really busy they sometimes extend hours (usually during haunt events) and at Cedar Point they give you a grace period at all major rides and close the lines after park closing. Under promise and over deliver. That way everyone's happy.

I'm not here to tell anyone how to run their business but I wish they'd adopt that idea. I would think guests would be much happier to embrace it.

Actually, the best method is to promise a high quality product and deliver a high quality product. Neither Cedar Fair nor Six Flags have mastered that yet. You never know what you will get with either company, since both have their moments of being cheap/poor operations, which is the real root cause...I've had good and awful days with both chains.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:14 am

There's a shaky Livestream going on now in the park if anyone wanted to watch the Blair Witch Project, Great Adventure Edition.

All screengrabs are of course courtesy of that Livestream that I linked to.

Also a few things to note
- Apparently Nitro's supports and Batman got some paint during the offseason.
- Nitro is testing today with 2 trains and 1 in pieces. I would assume it will open with 2 to start the season... fine by me. That may happen with Holiday in the Park coasters and if so I have no complaints.
- Blackbeard won't open with the park (who cares?)
nitrah.jpg
Really hard to tell here. Also the ride's testing which is always exciting to see. The ridiculously short off season is just about over.
Untitled.jpg
Why so serious?
1012802_1301256583223757_8164674581722606500_n.jpg
Joker Progress
1917027_1301256436557105_1412329866061858862_n.jpg
Another angle
Untitled.jpg
Sorry for the quality but the view has really opened up from the Joker queue area. Great open sight lines of the Skyway and some other crap.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:46 am

I'm at the park for The Joker construction tour. I'll post more photos and info later today.
IMG_20160313_133311.jpg
IMG_20160313_133417.jpg
IMG_20160313_133642.jpg
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!