Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Shane's Amusement Attic

Postby David H » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:52 am

RoCo wrote:
montezooma wrote:
RoCo wrote:Burning question: Was "Stealth" ever really intended to have a "Mission: Impossible" theme, as has long been rumored?

It was discussed for Stealth to be a Mission Impossible theme. As a matter of fact "Stealth" was the name given to the project while negotiating was done to get the license. Tom Cruise is a major partner in that franchise and he is the one that killed the deal not Paramount.

So it WAS Cruise all along... what a party-pooper. An M:I theme would have been SO GOOD for that attraction.

I blame Scientology. ALL HAIL XENU!!!!!!

Maybe they should have inserted Xenu into the Mission Impossible theming somehow to get it approved? ;-)

What's amazing to me is how much the Scientologists still deny Xenu and all of the sci-fi stuff that scientology is based on.

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:00 am

kenshinmac wrote:That looks like it would have been an impressive ride. I'm still curious about what size the train would have been if it was an elevator style lift. It just seems like it could have been enormously heavy and seems like the elevator could be slow to cycle.

How many ride concepts get developed to this extent and then shelved? Is this fairly common or quite rare?

The train was a typical Morgan Hyper Coaster train and like I said before this really was nothing more than a vertical transfer track and was used to save the space that a typical 200’ tall hyper coaster uses.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby montezooma » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:08 am

ValleyfairFan wrote:Shane,

Based on your experience how often did the city of Santa Clara kill projects like this and provide roadblocks versus a lack of "want" (for lack of a better word) from Paramount to invest in big attractions the park?

The hyper coaster was first proposed to the city and was shot down because it was too close to the property line. This is the coaster that was originally designed from Morgan and shown in the plans. After it was shot down the coaster was moved further from the property line, right on the midway of County Fair and within the Demon…it was shot down again and from their the project just lost steam.
speed4.jpg
This shows the original site and layout of the coaster.
PGA site plan 1.jpg
This shows the second attempt of moving the coaster further from the property line. The design modifications were never developed by Morgan since the coaster was shot down again by the city.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:25 pm

It's a bummer the city kept shootting down the ideas.

Postby montezooma » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Gold Springs Country

Season 5 seems to be turning out the "season that never was". Here is another exclusive to Shane's Amusement Attic: Gold Springs Country.

San Diego once was a hot bed of theme park activity. Too bad none of them ever came to reality. It seems this area surely could have supported a major theme park. Perhaps the stars were never in alignment for this beautiful city to have a park...but I would guess it had more to do with money than stars.

A few years after AeroWorld closed up shop another park came into play further east of Downtown on an Indian Reservation that is now know as Viejas. This park paled in comparison to the uniqueness of AeroWorld. Its themed lands were pretty much "off the shelf" themed lands...the typical western land, adventure land, storybook land and future land...yawn. However Landmark did a beautiful job in disguising those simple ideas into some pretty cool looking themed areas. I particularly like the idea for their water park based on surf songs (maybe this figured into conception of Cowabunga Bay...maybe not).

Gold Springs Country was more than just a theme park it was a entertainment destination which included a shopping and dinning complex, waterpark and major amphitheater. It would have been a great addition to the area and with the giant success the Indians have seen with Viejas I am sure this park would have been a hit.

Although the park never became to exist, one great thing came out of it. I was invited to a investor meeting for the park where I met one of the park designers who worked for Landmark at the time. His name was Anthony. Anthony later became the VP of design for Paramount Parks. He remembered meeting me at this meeting and thought I would be a great addition to the Paramount team. He offered me a job as the creative director for Carowinds...and the rest is history.

Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mechanic » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Wow, that looks like it would have been awesome and could have rivaled Disneyland.

Every problem is a solution waiting to happen.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Shane, I don't know where you hide all this stuff (your attic, I know) but this season has been epic. I can see your point of all the "lands" and I was glad to see they actually put a little thought into it.

A few things stood out: 1. Calico Mine - Was that going to be a knock off of the one at Knotts? 2. Beach Boys' - I assume since they were using their name and song titles in the water park attractions that either they had an IP or investment deal? 3. Holy Water Batman! I don't know much about SD, but that park looked like it was going to be a water hog, and by today's standards, that would likely be a no no in California. Was the land it was to be situated on already have a lake or was it to be man made?

Thanks again!

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:03 pm

Very interesting...it almost seems as if they took the best qualities of classic Knotts and mixed them with the best of Disney!

This park could have very well rivaled Disney had it been built...the level of detail and theming on this park looks astounding.

Was there any kind of an estimate as to how many people this would have drawn in?
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby rosscoe » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:31 pm

If you read some of the story lines, I wonder who stole off whom? Was this before Tokyo Disneysea and Splash Mountain?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks for this latest foray into your attic. It looks likes a good well rounded plan.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!