Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1425: Mardi Gras concert lineup & event details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”
User avatar
 
Posts: 329
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Gender: Male
Age: 32

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby southpuddle » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:54 am

There could be a dual station as well. If Universal wants it to have good capacity, it’ll have good capacity.

Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 47763
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:56 am

AUWent wrote:I'm just thrilled they're putting out a big thrill coaster to make up for the loss of Dragons.

Let's not make the assumption it's a "big thrill coaster" just yet. From what I've been hearing, we may be seeing something more along the lines of Cheetah Hunt, which is great because I love that coaster, but I'm not sure it would "make up" for Dragons.

Especially, when, if you think about it... if it does end up being something more like Cheetah Hunt, isn't that *kind of* what the are building right now in place of Dragons?

I'll be very curious to see how this develops...

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.
User avatar
 
Posts: 5743
Joined: 03 Oct 2007
Location: KY -> Los Angeles
Gender: Male
Age: 25

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby DBru » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:02 pm

^That’s what I was thinking. Aren’t they opening a semi-intense Intamin launch coaster this year? Would be strange to see them open a second one in 2020. Almost seems like some rumors got jumbled together in a game of telephone.

Can I park my donkey here?
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Gender: None specified

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby AUWent » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:18 pm

IDK. Is Maverick roughly the same intensity as Cheetah Hunt? Because it's supposedly going to be similar to that.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!
 
Posts: 92
Joined: 19 Jan 2019
Location: Aurora, IL
Gender: Male
Age: 15

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby jlp94 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:22 pm

AUWent wrote:IDK. Is Maverick roughly the same intensity as Cheetah Hunt? Because it's supposedly going to be similar to that.

To say that those coasters are on the same level of intensity is like saying a B&M hyper stands a chance against an Intamin mega... except in this case, Cheetah Hunt is still a good ride :|
Image

Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 47763
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:08 am

AUWent wrote:Is Maverick roughly the same intensity as Cheetah Hunt?

No. Not at all. People really need to stop comparing these two coasters. They are nothing like each other in any way.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...
User avatar
 
Posts: 6035
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male
Age: 27

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby A.J. » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:15 am

robbalvey wrote:No. Not at all. People really need to stop comparing these two coasters. They are nothing like each other in any way.

I ask the question, "What's a Blitz coaster?" as a joke all the time because there is no qualifier as to what a "Blitz coaster" is. In reality, the only objective similarity between Maverick, Cheetah Hunt, Taiga, Taron, and the like is that their launch(es) are powered by LSMs as opposed to being yanked by a cable and a hydraulic system. Everything else is subjective, and it's why Intamin just calls them "LSM coasters" now because that's literally what they are.

Really, if this Universal coaster gets built the way we think it will, its closest "competitor" will probably be Copperhead Strike, of all things.
Image
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Can I park my donkey here?
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Gender: None specified

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby AUWent » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:14 am

robbalvey wrote:
AUWent wrote:Is Maverick roughly the same intensity as Cheetah Hunt?

No. Not at all. People really need to stop comparing these two coasters. They are nothing like each other in any way.


Gotcha. So basically, Pottercoaster = Cheetah Hunt, and Jurrassic Park coaster = Maverick.

Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 47763
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:28 am

AUWent wrote:
robbalvey wrote:
AUWent wrote:Is Maverick roughly the same intensity as Cheetah Hunt?

No. Not at all. People really need to stop comparing these two coasters. They are nothing like each other in any way.


Gotcha. So basically, Pottercoaster = Cheetah Hunt, and Jurrassic Park coaster = Maverick.

We don't know enough about the JP coaster to make that assumption. I'm only guessing it was going to be more like Cheetah Hunt because that's what I've been told. So if that is the case then it would be Pottercoaster = Cheetah Hunt, and Jurrassic Park coaster = Cheetah Hunt.

Which is exactly why I said above:
if it does end up being something more like Cheetah Hunt, isn't that *kind of* what the are building right now in place of Dragons?
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:29 am.

Can I park my donkey here?
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Gender: None specified

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby AUWent » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:22 pm

robbalvey wrote:
AUWent wrote:
robbalvey wrote:
AUWent wrote:Is Maverick roughly the same intensity as Cheetah Hunt?

No. Not at all. People really need to stop comparing these two coasters. They are nothing like each other in any way.


Gotcha. So basically, Pottercoaster = Cheetah Hunt, and Jurrassic Park coaster = Maverick.

We don't know enough about the JP coaster to make that assumption. I'm only guessing it was going to be more like Cheetah Hunt because that's what I've been told. So if that is the case then it would be Pottercoaster = Cheetah Hunt, and Jurrassic Park coaster = Cheetah Hunt.

Which is exactly why I said above:
if it does end up being something more like Cheetah Hunt, isn't that *kind of* what the are building right now in place of Dragons?


You may be right. I'm just going by what I've gathered.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron