Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: Haymaker, lilazndude89, MidwestThemeParks and 27 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby bluestreak » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:58 pm

Stealth1 wrote:Has anyone gone to Frontier Fest this year? Last time I went was 2 years ago and found it to be very good. Was wondering if the changes are better?

I haven't tried nearly all the food but the stuff I have tried has been really good. The menu this year seems much more extensive. The festival itself also has a really nice atmosphere this year with all the different things they have going on.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:17 am

Potentially big news:

Steel Vengeance is open right now. This is the first time the ride has been open for Early Entry on a weekday all season so it looks like the days of it being quietly swapped out for Magnum and having a scheduled (but not advertised) noon opening are potentially over.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:32 am

The other encouraging part is that it wasn't super hot this morning either, as it was in the high 50s/low 60s.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby hoppedup » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:38 am

coasterbill wrote:Potentially big news:

Steel Vengeance is open right now. This is the first time the ride has been open for Early Entry on a weekday all season so it looks like the days of it being quietly swapped out for Magnum and having a scheduled (but not advertised) noon opening are potentially over.

This is great news if it keeps up. I will be there sometime in the next week, most likely Friday or Sunday.

Which brings me to a question. I have a platinum pass and have no qualms buying FL+. So which is the better day? I assume Sunday would be a bit less crowded. My only visit to CP was on a Wednesday/Thursday after all the schools in the area were back in session. This trip will most likely be KK>KI>CP but could also easily be CP>KI>KK. I bought KI FL+ on the President's Day sale and assume it would be best used on Saturday.

That first visit to CP I rode all the adult coasters in one day. Then did laps on Maverick and Millennium Force during early entry the next day. AFAIK, Steel Vengeance did not open at the start of early entry either of those days last year, FWIW. It may have opened at some point during early entry, but I had moved on to the best two coasters in the park.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:17 am

I will be there this week, Thursday and Friday. Forecasts show some pretty awful weather coming Thursday, and I’m thinking that odds are Thursday could be a flop and Friday might be extra packed. Should I tough it out or reschedule?
Last edited by RollerManic on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:00 am.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:51 am

I went last year on a weekday where the afternoon called for major storms. There was an hour of heavy rain and then the park cleared out. Steel Vengeance standby was only a 10-15 minute wait by the end of the day.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:13 pm

Perfect, that’s what I was hoping. They are saying that theses storms are going to continue into the evening (there goes my hanging out on the beach during my one night at Breakers plan) but I’m keeping my fingers crossed they’re short.

Postby prozach626 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:34 pm

hoppedup wrote: So which is the better day? I assume Sunday would be a bit less crowded. My only visit to CP was on a Wednesday/Thursday after all the schools in the area were back in session. This trip will most likely be KK>KI>CP but could also easily be CP>KI>KK. I bought KI FL+ on the President's Day sale and assume it would be best used on Saturday.

I would personally aim for Sunday. At KI, FL+ even on a Saturday will be great. Enjoy minimal waits.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby hoppedup » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:21 am

prozach626 wrote:
hoppedup wrote: So which is the better day? I assume Sunday would be a bit less crowded. My only visit to CP was on a Wednesday/Thursday after all the schools in the area were back in session. This trip will most likely be KK>KI>CP but could also easily be CP>KI>KK. I bought KI FL+ on the President's Day sale and assume it would be best used on Saturday.

I would personally aim for Sunday. At KI, FL+ even on a Saturday will be great. Enjoy minimal waits.

That's what I'm going to do. Right now plan is half-day at KK Friday, then go to KI for night rides. Saturday, half-day at KI with FL+, drive to CP for evening. CP early entry and full day Sunday, with FL+ if needed. This long weekend is designed to take the "death march" feel out of an August trip that was to include KI and CP, but will now just be Kennywood, Waldameer, Darien Lake, Niagara Falls, and Great Escape.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

Postby prozach626 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:42 am

It may effect your plans, but be aware KI is open until midnight on Saturday. You'd get a ton of night rides with FL+.

*IF* it were me, I'd do a half day at HW and close Friday out with KK. Sleep in and get your rest to spend Saturday night at KI until 12 with FL+. Get a few hours of sleep and snag a FL+ for CP. You'll need it at CP, but it should be pretty effective on a Sunday. After it's all said and done, sleep like a baby on Sunday night. I'm also a big fan of mid-day 20-30 minute car naps with the AC blasting and the seat back.

PreviousNext