Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 22 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Midgetman82 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:37 pm

Great video! That certainly does look like a major improvement, even if it's a much more abrupt stop at the end. I, too, hope the park can get at least another train on there very soon.

especially for my trip in mid-june...
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu May 24, 2018 5:41 pm

That's a great comparison. Glad Cedar Point got right on fixing that issue before summer.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:57 pm

Very interesting. Hopefully two train operation will come this weekend, and once more of the kinks get worked out, we can see them run all three trains in the summer like planned. This is Cedar Point so I fully expect them to get this ride running at optimal capacity ASAP.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby gp1086 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Sorry to be slightly off topic on 1st question:

Favorite restaurants around Sandusky? I'm already planning to head to Bay Harbor for dinner one night.

Is there any type of side entrance to enter / leave the park during the middle of the day from Breakers Hotel, or need to go through the front?

Assume water rides will be open throughout the park after Memorial Day given that the waterpark is open?

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby RailBlazer » Thu May 24, 2018 7:18 pm

As I see the before and after video of the brake run changes and other POV footage, I am wondering if the brake run is long enough for three train operation if the trains have to stop completely in the first brake. If that train hasn't cleared that brake before another gets to the mid-course brake, the mid-course would have to stop the train there. I guess they can slow the chain to remedy this to some extent, but that brake run looks pretty short. And what if all three trains have to be at the station at the same time?

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby KPfan » Thu May 24, 2018 7:21 pm

gp1086 wrote:
Favorite restaurants around Sandusky? I'm already planning to head to Bay Harbor for dinner one night.

Thirsty pony is fun with a good menu.

Brick oven bistro has awesome pizza.

Diana's is decent diner food.

Chet and Matt's has good pizza as well.

Postby thrillrider » Thu May 24, 2018 7:23 pm

Thirsty pony has some great wings, beer menu, and all kinds of good eats.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:36 pm

RailBlazer wrote:As I see the before and after video of the brake run changes and other POV footage, I am wondering if the brake run is long enough for three train operation if the trains have to stop completely in the first brake. If that train hasn't cleared that brake before another gets to the mid-course brake, the mid-course would have to stop the train there. I guess they can slow the chain to remedy this to some extent, but that brake run looks pretty short. And what if all three trains have to be at the station at the same time?

The brake run is most definitely long enough for three train operation. It will run like most 3-train B&Ms (that have 2 blocks before the station and a MCBR).

If all the trains need to be at the station, there's one in the station, one in the block behind it, and the third one on the final brakes, again, just like the B&Ms. Also, the ride is very long and the time between the lift and MCBR and the MCBR and final brakes is quite a lot. The way the coaster's layout and block system is set up, it should be able to run three trains without any stacking at all, no problem.

Why the trains bumped is still a mystery for sure, but I am totally confident that Cedar Point and RMC intended for this ride to have three train service.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:42 pm

There are two blocks on the break-run. In the after part of the video where the train comes to a complete stop the first time, that's the first block. The second one is located right before the station. So they can totally do a 3 train operation. Now the question is how comfortable are they going to be doing a 3 train operation? The fear would be a train completing the circuit coming in so fast that the drive wheels on the 1st block can't slow it down to a complete stop in time and keep it from bumping into the train sitting on the 1st block. That seems to me to be what happened when the incident occurred. The train was moving so fast coming into the 2nd block that the drive wheels couldn't stop the train. Of course, that's all speculation. They really have two options to make sure this doesn't happen again. One would be using the MCBR to slow the ride to the point that the train hits brake-run at the speed it was designed to. The other would be adding friction brakes to the brake run so the drive wheels aren't the sole thing bring the train to a complete stop. Based on the pictures we've gotten today, the latter of those two options is what they've opted to do.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby gp1086 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks, KPFan and Thrillrider!

PreviousNext