La Ronde Discussion Thread

P. 119 - Chaos Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: La Ronde Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Sun May 27, 2018 8:12 pm

But that’s just it...

The park has no competition whatsoever and they have a huge market. They’re packed all the time and they don’t even have to try to put up huge attendance numbers. Maybe they feel that there’s no reason to spend a lot of money because everyone anywhere near La Ronde that wants to go to a theme park already goes there because they’re the only game in town.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby qwimjim » Mon May 28, 2018 8:35 am

coasterbill wrote:But that’s just it...

The park has no competition whatsoever and they have a huge market. They’re packed all the time and they don’t even have to try to put up huge attendance numbers. Maybe they feel that there’s no reason to spend a lot of money because everyone anywhere near La Ronde that wants to go to a theme park already goes there because they’re the only game in town.

good point, people will come no matter what. but the same could be said for Canada's wonderland, there's no competition there. and yet they're investing money in it, three high end coasters in 10 years. but it costs more. I just think six flags is too cheap, it works for the condition the parks are in, but I would prefer they invest in laronde (and other parks) and just increase the price of admission. in the case of laronde, like you said, there's no other game in town.. so people will inevitably pay, especially if there's a new flagship coaster or two and they spruce up the place.

alternatively they keep lowering prices and keep the parks stagnate with minimal to no investment, it seems like a race to the bottom..

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:08 am

So, I went on Saturday.

First off: There's a single rider line for the mouse coaster. It was even open and I used it. I waited almost no time at all. This was miracuous. I then walked onto Super Manege and Boomerang before heading back to wait in line for Dragon (maybe a 30 minute wait). Then headed off to Goliath and was able to walk on three times in a row before getting lunch (which was actually good; went to the kebab place in the back).

La Monstre, by the time I got there, had a wait of about 45 minutes. Did the Red Side, front seat. Took the monorail around after and noticed that Vampire had no wait. I needed to get going if I wanted to get more stuff done, so I rode it once and dipped out.

First, the ugly: trying to get into the parking lot is a PITA. I was set to arrive about a half hour early and actually didn't get into the gate until 5 minutes after opening. I know there's not a lot they can do here about that, but it's a pretty small lot and there's only two lanes of traffic for a lot of cars. There are, as we know, "issues" with many structures and rides in the park. The log flume lift is still standing, conveyor belt and all. The area where the standup coaster was is just empty. Lots of show venues and big stands just closed up. I assume they use them for fireworks or something (you can clearly see all the tubes along the St. Lawrence), but it would be nice if they had something else. Which I guess gets to the issue about parking again and how it inherently limits the attendance. Monorail could use a nice coat of paint. Super Manege could use one. Weeds that are like 3-4 foot high should not be greenery in public spaces. Building a walkthrough you only use for Halloween as a "new for XXXX" attraction is frankly bizarre, and it just stays up all year round because why not.

Now, the good: the B&Ms were both running two trains and dispatching well. They moved the lines on those. Flat ride attendants from my glimpses seemed to be OK too, though the lines for those were way to long for me to justify doing. All the stuff they've bought in the current regime is obvious because it is all shiny and nice, and everything old looks like hell. The old steam carousel does look great, even if it is for families only and super duper slow. Figuring out a way to "complete the loop" to walk around the park should be a serious project of their's. Probably would make riding Dragon even tougher as it would shortcut people who arrived early to it, but still would save some walking for later in one of the better designed/decorated/themed sections of the park.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:32 am

^ I wish I had known about that single rider line on the mouse. I wouldn't have skipped if.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Arnolds Park & Nickelodeon Universe/Mall of America

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:19 am

I like Dragon. It's super weird and actually kind of fun. I feel like if I ever went back to this place (shudders), I would probably ride Goliath, whatever new ride convinced me to go back to this god forsaken place and Dragon and then leave. :lol:

The frisbee looks fun too, but between the assigned seating system and naturally long load times I feel like if I ever had to stand there and see how La Ronde operated a giant frisbee it would probably give me an aneurysm.

Postby Vonni » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:22 am

Just looking at pictures and maps, I've always been confused about the parking at La Ronde. I see a parking lot in the back of the park by Goliath, but that is it. Are you shuttled to the front gate, or do you have to walk all the way to the front of the park from that parking lot?

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Johnlloyd » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:32 am

Vonni wrote:Just looking at pictures and maps, I've always been confused about the parking at La Ronde. I see a parking lot in the back of the park by Goliath, but that is it. Are you shuttled to the front gate, or do you have to walk all the way to the front of the park from that parking lot?

I will agree with you that the parking does appear to be confusing by just looking at the map. While there is parking at the back of the park, there is also parking near the toll booths where you enter, just before going under the Jacques Cartier Bridge. So, there are two parking lots available for parking your car at La Ronde. If you do park in the back parking lot, there is a secondary entrance which you enter known as the Village Entrance. So, there is no need for a shuttle to take you to the front entrance from the back parking lot. :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:46 am

Johnlloyd wrote:
Vonni wrote:Just looking at pictures and maps, I've always been confused about the parking at La Ronde. I see a parking lot in the back of the park by Goliath, but that is it. Are you shuttled to the front gate, or do you have to walk all the way to the front of the park from that parking lot?

There's two entrances. The back entrance and parking lot seems to be opened up now when the front one is sufficiently full (at least that's what it seemed like Saturday).

Postby coasterbill » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:12 am

So which of the two rides that they announced for this year but then (I assume) said "eh, f*ck it" and never bothered to put together do you think La Ronde is about to announce for next year? My money is on the Scrambler. :lol:

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby booink » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:49 pm

^My prediction is optimistic and I think we (might) get a Super Loop in the old haunted house spot (between Manitou and Boomerang), but you're right that this is totally a possibility! If that's what happens, hopefully a Scrambler, I love those :lmao:
Favorites :
Steel : Maverick, Wicked Cyclone, Superman: the ride (SFNE)
Wood : El Toro, Phoenix, Lightning Racers
Total coaster count : 137

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!