2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

My parents were not thrilled, but they already knew. When I had "the talk" with them, their response was, "DUH." Kind of stole my thunder. Then they started citing examples of how they knew since I was like 4.

Kind of reminds me of Brian and Stewie Griffin "And the evidence keeps piling up..."

(Nobody could ever figure it out with me... other than I played Softball, Field Hockey, Golf and Tennis...and I loved the Indigo Girls, Melissa Etheredge, and pot-luck dinners.)

So what you are saying is that you are a Lesbian? Yeah - they reminded me that my first favorite song was by Abba, I was picking out my own outfits by 4 years old and the ONLY time I EVER mowed a yard for money is so I could buy a Diana Ross album. I guess I wasn't fooling anybody .

HAHAHAHAHAHAOWOWOWOWOWOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHWOWOWOWOW... Wonderfully decadent- and over the top.

I think my first album was by the B52s- there was something about them I could never quite put my finger on till I was older- or my obsession with Bette Davis and Joan Crawford (Can you imagine the -HORROR- of my parents taking me to see "Whatever happened to Baby Jane... and me LAUGHING instead of being scared at it, followed by my pretending I WAS Bette Davis???).

(As for my obsession with Flannel, my 'shaved bald' head, and my Doc Martens, well, YES, I do tend to be a Dyke Tyke more than anything else... I don't know why. I guess I was so butch I looped around to Lesbian.)

After thinking this through, I've come to realize that I am infact, gay. I've come out to a few people, but I'm afraid of my dad. I can't tell my mom because she's well.. dead. And even though my dad has a gay brother, I don't think he is very accepting of the concept of gays. I need some help here.

It's an icy situation and and coming out to a parent or parents is by FAR the most difficult hurdle in the coming out process, at least in my experience it was. In terms of courage, it was the hardest thing I've had to do personally in my 22 years.

I've had it extremely lucky compared to others though and all the disastrous scenarios that I thought would go down, never happened (Which kind of annoyed me a bit lol). My mom and sister were totally chill with it and are completely accepting of it (especially my sister).

Now my dad... it was a full YEAR between the time when I had came out to my mom to when I came out to my dad. His family can be quick to judge and opinionated and have often run into slippery situations with them that made me more scared about what he would think. Just from my experience with a situation that you may fear to not go over very well, I found it important to do a lot of planning. Just to avoid a bad situation, I chose to meet him for dinner at a BUSY noisy restaurant so the potentiality of causing an embarassing scene would not happen with so many people around. At worst he would just throw some awful comments and walk out, which is what I was expecting. I made sure to make up an excuse for us to go in separate cars so that if something did go down, I wasn't ditched by him speeding off in a worst case scenario or I didn't have to endure a car ride home with him. Having a way out is important. Most importantly is to NOT come out to your parents out of anger. That is a big no-no and makes it seem like you are just trying to spite them and has the potential to even worsen the situation which is not what you want. At least with my dad, none of the disasters I thought would happen actually happened. He said he kinda had an idea, but he is still VERY ignorant and judging on the topic. He thinks gays are always single and never find true love, he thinks its a choice, blah blah blah. I just deal with it though. My dad's pretty combative and I don't want to waste my energy arguing with him unless its absolutely necessary.

Just my philosophy on coming out..... if it took me 19 to 20 YEARS to become comfortable with myself and come out, I absolutely should NOT expect my parents, family, or anyone else to become comfortable with it in 19 to 20 SECONDS after stating "Im gay". Hearing heart wrenching horror stories from others just makes me feel that much luckier that none of it happened to me.

I've found that it can be very difficult to determine how ones parents will react. I know, when I told my parents, the response from each of them was not at all what I expected. Before telling my mom and step-dad, I was preparing myself for the worse. Both her and my step-dad are very devout mormons and tend to have very conservative views on issues like that. But when I told them, it seemed to be a non-issue. They were completely excepting and treat my partner like a member of the family. When I told my dad, I expected a similar response. He has an openly lesbian sister who is very close with. However, when I told him, he completely shut me out. I haven't spoken to him in almost 6 years.

I think the best way to go at coming out too family is to first build a good support of close friends you can turn to if things don't go very well. They are never the best replacement for family, but can help with the copping. It's always good to hope for the best, but be sure to plan for the worst.

• 3 weeks later...

^ THIS.

Your "gay family" or support network is CRUCIAL. You absolutely need a small group of people who have been through or who are going through what you are going through to lift you up in the times of sadness or sorrow. When I was afraid of coming out, a "gay godparent" told me that if, in fact, I did lose biological family because of coming out - I was gaining a HUGE family in the process.

It's good to know I'm not the only one that's gay. I'm rather surprised how many members on this site are. Spreading the news about your orientation isn't exactly an easy, peaceful term. I tried talking to my mother a while back about it. She's usually supportive of everything I do, but she didn't seem 100% about it. I still struggle to explain to my father about this, as I see him being in total disappointment when I reveal to him.

Also, it's not exactly easy finding a relation with another wherever you live. Heck, I'm still searching.

^ Welcome to the TPR community! I'm fairly new on the site though I lurked for a very long time. Once you look at a few TPR trip reports you realize there really are many, many, gay and gay friendly people on this site. In fact, that is one of the main reasons I jumped in and went on one of the TPR trips. Totally friendly and welcoming, besides, being worth every penny. Robb and Elissa are real friends of our community, they make this site as open as it is. You do not have to hide here, we will cheer for you. When you can, get to one of the TPR events, you will have a blast and develop connections to people who can be part of your extended support group. It is tough to be on your own, but TPR can be an online family.

For whatever reason, the theme park and coaster community attracts gay men. I've yet to figure it out myself, but it's one of those oddities, and perhaps in a way that is a good thing. TPR is the most welcome I've ever felt (with regards to being queer, that is) and more so than any other community in any circumstances.

If more of the world were as tolerant as TPR is, we'd have a better planet all around- and not just for queers, but for everybody.

I'm straight

I'll bet if you find a fundamentalist atheist group, they'll have a support group that will try to cure you of it.

I thought that Heterosexuality was a simple psychological problem that could be cured through long hours of psychoanalysis and electro-shock therapy?

I'm straight

I'll bet if you find a fundamentalist atheist group, they'll have a support group that will try to cure you of it.

I thought that Heterosexuality was a simple psychological problem that could be cured through long hours of psychoanalysis and electro-shock therapy?

• 2 weeks later...