TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Steel Dragon 2000 is open!

Well, as someone who HAS ridden it in 2001, I found it OK. It is tall, long, and fast, but not that exciting. The chain lift seemed to take forever, and the first drop just sort of happens.

I am glad it is reopening, but from someone who has ridden it, it is not the end-all-be-all of giga coasters. And the trains (in my opinion) are hideoous!

SteelDragon2.jpg.541a44ae8221d3999c135ed524020545.jpg

March 2001

SteelDragon.jpg.23a7f91a9b652892360f1138a0c7b234.jpg

March 2001

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually know one person in Sydney who has ridden it and they rated it highly and they have been on most of the other significant hypers like SROS, MF, Nitro, Magnum (and Expedition GeForce in Oct this year).

To me it looks like Magnum on steroids, and I have to admit I like Magnum's brutality, one day they'll be scarping me off the top of one of Magnum's tunnels after I've been ejected completely.

I don't understand all of you. You get so excited over something you're never going to ride and you know it. Anyway, I hopw we get a similar Morgan Gigacoaster in the U.S. one of these days. Looks like an enjoyable, relaxing ride.

We have many people on this site who have either beem to Japan and ridden the coaster, been to Japan while it's closed, or are planning to go to Japan in the near future.

Well, as someone who HAS ridden it in 2001, I found it OK. It is tall, long, and fast, but not that exciting.

I have to be honest, that's pretty much what I've heard to from everyone I know that's been on it and who have quite a few of the worlds best coasters under their belt. "It's fun...but pretty much a larger version of Steel Force or Mamba" is what I've been told by more than one person.

To be honest, I've never really liked any of the Morgan hypercoasters so Steel Dragon being closed when we visited the park was not a deal breaker for us. But if you LIKE the Morgan hypers than this is like Mecca for you!

I was FAR more upset when we missed out on Pyrenees during our first visit to the park (luckily we went back the next day and it was open!)

--Robb

I've rode 3 morgan hypers (Phantom's Revenge, Mamba & Steel Force)....I didn't care for Steel Force or Mamba...but Phantom's Revenge....those of you who really don't care for morgan coasters can't tell me that you don't find Phantom thrilling

Been to nagashima is 2002....but steel dragon 2000 wasn't open. I would love to give it a try though.

I've been on it like Robb said, people on the site have. Honestly? Its a great ride. MF's first drop owns SD2000 but everything else about SD2000 owns MF.

I never clung to MF like most people did. I think MF is overrated and to be honest, short. Sure the length of the track is 5000 feet, but really MF isn't all that exciting. Also the air I experienced on MF wasn't ejector, except the first drop.

The air on SD2000 was ejector air. Minus the first drop, it was just kinda floater. And like someone said before, it kinda just happened. Other than that, I'm glad to see it re-opening because I'll be there next summer re-riding it with the exchange student! (look up my PKD visit in the TR archive). Along with EJ!

• 2 weeks later...

The Park should buy new trains for SD2000, test it no-stop for a month to make sure everything is fine.

They could ask people to ride it and it it passes with flying colours - reopen the ride to the World.

Or:

Scrap it and create a better coaster with more hills but not as long.

I personally just can't see how anyone can call MF overrated, Okinawaboy. I can't help but think that anyone who does just may be a little jaded...

SD2000 basically looks like a taller version of Magnum to me, and to be honest, I've never really found the magnum all that impressive...hmmmm...so maybe I'm the jaded one after all.

Obviously I can't guarantee POV, but you can be sure that I will make an HONEST effort.

Pictures of the new trains? You bet! Pictures of the new trains in action? Definitely!

I've got a few weeks before I can get down there, but it is VERY high on my list of priorities to get my SD2K laps before I leave Japan if it opens before September 30th!

Obviously I can't guarantee POV, but you can be sure that I will make an HONEST effort.

Pictures of the new trains? You bet! Pictures of the new trains in action? Definitely!

I've got a few weeks before I can get down there, but it is VERY high on my list of priorities to get my SD2K laps before I leave Japan if it opens before September 30th!

That's the stuff I want to hear!

I personally just can't see how anyone can call MF overrated, Okinawaboy. I can't help but think that anyone who does just may be a little jaded...

SD2000 basically looks like a taller version of Magnum to me, and to be honest, I've never really found the magnum all that impressive...hmmmm...so maybe I'm the jaded one after all.

MF is a little bit overrated (the big draw is the drop). But ugh, a larger version of Magnum...imagine the triangle hills...

Oh dear, An Update.

From The Site

2003 August 23rd, with the attraction 「 steel dragon 2000 」 wheel falling off accident of our company 「 ナガシマスパーランド」, the customer who is in the midst of riding in a car and the customer of the jumbo seawater pool which it adjoins apologize from thing and the heart which the wound are done. In addition, does applying the annoyance which becomes great in everyone of the related everyone including the customer of our company, piling up, we apologize. Our company after the accident occurring, to the investigation activity by the competent authorities extensively cooperated, the 「 steel dragon 2000 accident cause investigation safety measure commission 」 which is at once formed together from the patsy of the company internal-related post installed, doing the investigation of accident cause and the decision of safety measure to prevention of accident recurrence started. You investigated accident cause, and measure, and you improved, this time, did verification application, received the delivery of verification end proof. You expect safety and for the sake of repeat trial run from 8/12 and having become the prospect of 「 steel dragon 2000 」 driving reopening you report from September first third. Furthermore, when business reopening day decides, you inform in our company home page. The place where it keeps advancing more improvement the latest occurrence as a big reflection because it is existence, that also in the future patronage it receives, we ask may. 2006 August 16th Nagashima sight-seeing development corporation

So? Does that mean the first thrid in september? or the 13th? or the 3rd? Well they have been testing from the 18 we know that much from it.

GOD engrish (Yes, with a G, because I'm so G [JK]) can be so confusing.

^ I havent been paying too close attention to this thread but did you say SD2000 is testing? Thats awesome if it is! Also from what I could understand from that, it sounds like they're opening it on the 13th.

WORLD'S TALLEST COASTER WITH A LIFT HILL - 318FT

IT'S OUT THERE IN SPALAND YAY! IT'S BACK NOW AND 36

GUYS ARE SHARING ITS REAL FUN SO THEN THE OTHERS IN

THE QUEUE ARE HOPING TO RIDE IT RIGHT NOW!

NOW PLAYING! HOPE THEY'LL HAVE GOT GREAT DEAL OF

RETURNEES TO SD2K.