TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Floorless Coasters....Great or Hype?

Are Floorless Coasters Great or Just Hype?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Are Floorless Coasters Great or Just Hype?

• Great
    • Just Hype

I've been on Kraken at Sea World, and while it is a decent coaster, I never understood the great advantage of it being floorless, as far as ride excitement, and yes i've been in the front row. Inverteds are different because there REALLY is nothing below you, but you've still got coaster train and tracks under you on a floorless.

For those who have been on them, did it make the coaster more enjoyable?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like them as well, but dont' think they would offer anything unique over a regular B&M Multi-Looper. Then again I haven't been on a regular B&M sit-down yet so what do I know?

Out of the 2 Floorless Coasters I have been on Superman Krypton Coaster is certainly better than Scream.

I love Kraken. Then again, if Kraken were just a sit down coaster like Kumba or Hulk, I'm sure I'd still like it. It's just an awesome coaster in general.

That said, the floorless aspect does add to the experience. It's not gonna turn a crappy coaster into an awesome one, but it gives an interesting added touch.

I love front row on a floorless, so I voted "great". They've got just enough cool to make a great coaster even better.

Not that I'd advocate turning Wildfire or Kumba into floorless coasters though....

Well, floorless are okay. The first drop on Medusa East(the only floorless I've been on) is great, the layout is great but the whole feet hanging above the track is the coaster industry's biggest gimmick ever since the old-fashioned turn of the last century looping wooden coasters.

does someone like Avril? I can't tell

I think floorless are better than a regular looping coaster - but they aren't great. I just have a hatred for OTSR. I have not been on one train with OTSR that lets both me and the person next to me put our arms up comfortaby.

Not to get too far off topic, but does anyone else think that it wouldn't be too hard for B&M to change their looping coasters like Wildfire, Kumba, Hulk, Dragon Kahn,.... umm well I guess thats all.... to a floorless style?

Just an idea. A park could use "now floorless" for advertising - it would almost be like a new ride.

• 3 years later...

I've been on Scream at SFMM and I thought the floorless concept was really good. Your legs dangle but you can also see in front of you which is much more difficult to do on an inverted coaster. The motion also feels very different to an inverted coaster because it feels like you are leaning into the bends rather than being thrown out the side of them. I think it is really just a good improvement to generic looping coaster trains.

^ I don't know about with floorless coasters but Vekoma managed to change Chessington's Vampire from the old arrow trains with a floor to the Floorless vekoma variety. They probably could. In fact haven't they done that with Sheikra in Florida now.

I personally dont see the big deal in them. I have never paid attention but I guess being in the front does make a difference. I hear people criticizing scream but I think it is about as fun as Medusa, Superman etc. I like Scream, but I would have liked it as much as if it had a floor.

^^I agree 100 percent.

I'll take the floorless design over any conventional B&M sit-down train like Hulk anyday. The front is cool and offers the best floorless experience, but on any seat in the train, I just like freedom of my legs swaying. Especially in the Zero G and Helix.

I'll just echo what others have said: if you're not in front, then there's nothing special about them.

But I won't call the concept "hype." Especially now that B&M is doing their dive machines with floorless trains. That could be intimidating---especially in the outer seats.

Eric