TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Have you ever been on a coaster in the rain?

Dueling Dragons front row in the rain.

And I think I've been on some at Busch Gardens while raining too.

I have glasses and my girlfriend doesn't. So I enjoyed DD in the rain just a bit more than she did.

LOL.. was always fun working there when it was downpouring. All the guests were screaming in pain in the rain. We also let the train stop coming into the unload station so all the water dumps forward onto everyone.. We're mean.

Anyways, I've never heard of a park running a coaster in hail! They must be insane. At IOA the first sign of thunder/lightning/orange or red on a weather map we're down.

Eric

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ridden Millenium Force in torrential rain (the kind that drenches you the minute you step out in it), and now I know what pinhead in hellraiser feel like. I couldn't even open my eyes when the rain was really heavy. At least it was only five minute wait, though I was surprised it was opene in that kind of weather - Magnum and Raptor were too.

I think I've only been on woodies in the rain. Ghostrider, Ozark Wildcat, Thunderhead and Raven / legend (I think it might have just been sprinkling)

Of all the ones the ride I liked the least in the rain was Thunderhead, it didn't seem to go any faster and it hurt like a bitch since we sat in the front. The best has to go to Ozark Wildcat in 2003, that was just an amazing day and the rain just added to the atmosphere of the park.

Millennium Force - front seat -downpour = ouch.

It was just a light sprinkle...enough to run in. Till we reached the apex, then it all let loose.

We were the last ride till it subsided, but ouch, wont do that again.

I've been on Desperado in the rain. It wasn't pouring with rain, but it wasn't really sprinkling either. It didn't hurt that much, but it kinda hurt. I mean it does go over 85 miles per hour, so you would expect it to hurt, but it wasn't raining hard. It was also at night, so it was preety cold. But it was still fun.

--Davon "I wish I could ride half of the rides you guys have ridden" Dorsey

I've done Cyclone at SFNE in the rain. The ride ran great with the slick track, but it did feel like I was being pelted with thousands of tiny little needles.

Hey, So have I! Oh, wait, I was with you when that happend! We shouldnt have picked the front seat, but man, that track was deffinatly lubed up nice. And who said water doesnt make a good lubricant? That was actually the smoothest ride I have ever had on Cyclone. I must agree with Coaster Fanatic about wood coasters being great in the rain.

Rob "I have actually been on all SFNE coasters in the rain" D

My first ride on Xcelerator; the sky was just starting to open up. The ops kept looking across the track at each other and then at the op in the booth before they pushed the button almost like they were thinking/hoping that someone would make the call to not send us, but send us they did. And it was good.

~don Jose

Bacon tastes good, porkchops taste good.

Yea,

Top Thrill Dragster

OMG, it hurt so bad

That was not a fun ride, even thou TTD isnt suppose to operate in the rain, we were already in launch position when it started. There really wasnt anything the ops, or control could really do.

And I got to ride Twister II(SFEG) in the snow! It was last operating day and it was snowing, and all the rides were open with only 100 people in the park! I was the only one on TwisterII, Boomerang, Sidewinder, Tower of Doom.That was such an awsum day....

And I got to ride Twister II(SFEG) in the snow! It was last operating day and it was snowing, and all the rides were open with only 100 people in the park! I was the only one on TwisterII, Boomerang, Sidewinder, Tower of Doom.That was such an awsum day....

Thats how SFNE was closeing weekend 2002... I got to ride Cyclone the SLC.. and SROS all when it was snowing.. Also Scream the S&S tower.

I went to sfdl pver the summer and rode mind eraser in the rain. On the lift hill, it all of a sudden started thunderstorming with tons of lightning. They stopped the train and made us sit there untill the storm let up. It never did and they ran it with us on it in the middle of a thunderstorm. It hurt like crazy, but it was cool with all the lightning and thunder.

I was in line for MF for about an hour, and right when I got up to the station it started pouring down rain. The people who were coming off the break run into the station were telling people not to open their eyes. I didn't understand what they meant by this at first. While going up the lift hill, it was raining so hard that I could not see the lake from the top of the lift hill. It was my first and only ride on MF, and I was absolutely terrified. While going down the first drop, the rain was just hitting me in the back, but when the train leveled out, the rain was stabbing me in the face at 93 mph. I could only open my eyes in the tunnels. At the end of the ride I was drenched, but I had a great time. Even though it was a painful experience, I wanted to do it again.

• 8 years later...

Yes, I one time rode Magnum 200 at Cedar Point during a light rain and all those little droplets stung whenever they hit my face. Another time I was riding the Anacaonda at Kings Dominion during its opening day and it just finished raining. When that train went into the underwater tunnel, there was a drop of water that fell and it me right square in the eyes ( talk about paaaiiin . . .).

Guess what? I found another old post that needs new life. Care to help out?

Hey yall-

Have any of you ever been on a coaster in the rain. I have. It was California Screamin @ DCA, front row. It hurt like crap, but probably not as much as riding Millenium Force in the rain.

I have on Millennium Force and it felt like little pins hitting your face, thankfully I had my sunglasses on to protect my eyes. They shut it down 2 trains after ours arrived back at the station due to the complaints of other riders and the rain starting to fall at a faster rate.

Stealing this photo from Hanno's thread. The picture sums up one crazy ERT session in Germany last year. It was painful, I got soaked, and it was worth every minute - they actually were going to stop because it was raining, we said we didn't mind and they kept it open!

Stealing this photo from Hanno's thread. The picture sums up one crazy ERT session in Germany last year. It was painful, I got soaked, and it was worth every minute - they actually were going to stop because it was raining, we said we didn't mind and they kept it open!

That ERT on Collosus in the rain was awesome. One of my favorite ERT Sessions ever.

I've also ridden a good majority of SFMM's coasters in the rain, even Superman (in a very light drizzle). I remember on Scream, it was extremely painful, except for the moments when we were upsidedown and rain wasn't hitting us.

i was on Intimidator305 in the rain just a couple weeks ago. front row. it was a very light drizzle, but every tiny drop was like a staple gun to the face. i caught one droplet straight in the eyeball and it was NOT pleasant!

I -love- riding in the rain, though a few of the fastest coasters can be a bit painful. Phantom's Revenge, not so good in the rain. Big Bad Wolf hurt too, since those tarps over the connectors between cars on the train would collect rainwater and let it out in heavy streams from the vent hole instead of little drops, not very pleasant to have that on you the entire time. Boulder Dash in the rain though, Amazing. Same for Twister at Knoebels, and most other coasters I've been on in "bad' weather. It always feels so beautiful surreal and disorienting.

I rode Maverick at CP half a dozen times in the rain last weekend. The rain was a bit brutal on the face but I have glasses so I didn't have to squint. It was pretty wild, definitely made it pretty interesting. I recommend goggles.....