TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 791: Big Bear Mountain family coaster announced for 2023!

Was in Sevierville today and had a couple extra hours. Got 4xLR,TT, 2xWE, Thunderhead, FC, and MM and was back in my car in under 2 hrs.

20190411_145055.thumb.jpg.ccb1859f6b68b8fb9e0ec44d1583b66d.jpg

Wildwood Grove April 11

20190411_145057.thumb.jpg.83c123fb7df7eace54650f66d4f7c760.jpg

April 11

20190411_132458.thumb.jpg.0167a3523888d670c9d258fc14b932f6.jpg

Good day for a few quick rides on Lightning Rod

That's a nice looking line for Lightning Rod! Sure would love to see that myself some day haha. The amount of work they've completed on the new area is really impressive. Excited to hear reviews of it and check it out myself later this summer.

Hello everyone! Will be taking a trip to the Smokies this weekend and stopping by Dollywood on Saturday. The weather does not look to be all that great but I’m going regardless. What is Dollywood’s rain policy? Will the coasters (Lightning Rod specifically - it will be my 1st RMC) run in the rain?

Apologies if this was asked before. Much thanks!

Depends on the amount of rain. Can't really go but the weather around here. It might rain for a few hours and be sunny the rest of the day. I'm sure you will be fine!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Hello everyone! Will be taking a trip to the Smokies this weekend and stopping by Dollywood on Saturday. The weather does not look to be all that great but I’m going regardless. What is Dollywood’s rain policy? Will the coasters (Lightning Rod specifically - it will be my 1st RMC) run in the rain?

Apologies if this was asked before. Much thanks!

I was there in a cold, rainy day in 2017 during Smoky Mountain Christmas. Dollywood kept everything running until the temperatures dropped into the mid-30s. Since the park has a ton of shows and non-coasters, they're far less likely to close than other parks.

So I see the park has weekday hours in Oct, and full day!!

I wanna commit to going to this park, and Im thinking this may be a great time. I mean a weekday in October?! Weather may be pretty nice too.

Anyone familiar with the park at this time of year? What are crowds like? I am thinking earlier in Oct to avoid possible halloween crowds?

Otherwise I will likely have to go on a Sunday in early June. I see the park has a fast pass type thing but does it allow only one skip on Lightning Rod? If so, I get it but I do wanna maximize my rides on LR.

If you buy the unlimited pass you can ride LR all day long. If it's running 2 trains, your longest wait will be a couple cycles.

Wild Eagle might be a 5-10 wait. It enters the station a bit earlier than others. The others will be walk ons or < 5 min for the most part with a pass.

Park may be packed but a higher percentage are there for shows and just to be outside versus other parks.

If you haven't been on Thunderhead and like classic woodies, I bet you'll find yourself shuffling between it and LR.

During the week in early Oct you might not even need the fast pass. But it's there if you really want to marathon it.

Edited by tndank

If you buy the unlimited pass you can ride LR all day long. If it's running 2 trains, you're longest wait will be a couple cycles.

Wild Eagle might be a 5-10 wait. It enters the station a bit earlier than others. The others will be walk ons or < 5 min for the most part with a pass.

Park may be packed but a higher percentage are there for shows and just to be outside versus other parks.

Interesting. It would be nice to squeeze it in June on Sunday and not make a new trip to it. Thanks, I guess I missed that unlimited option on the site.

^^ Lightning Rod is particularly awesome at night. If your June visit is towards the end of the month, you should be able to get at least one ride in after sunset.

The unlimited option isn't written very clearly on their site, but Lightning Rod and Drop Line (not that you need it for this one) can be ridden as many times as you want with the Unlimited Timesaver. I would buy it in advance since Dollywood does sell out of these. You can actually keep track of how many are left if you try to put it in your cart and pick a specific day.

If you buy the unlimited pass you can ride LR all day long. If it's running 2 trains, your longest wait will be a couple cycles.

If you haven't been on Thunderhead and like classic woodies, I bet you'll find yourself shuffling between it and LR.

During the week in early Oct you might not even need the fast pass. But it's there if you really want to marathon it.

Thanks! Good to know. And nah never been to the park. Excited to go, esp for Thunderhead.

Sweet thanks for all the input yall. This is why I love TPR.

I had no idea there was the ERT event...interesting.

^^ Lightning Rod is particularly awesome at night. If your June visit is towards the end of the month, you should be able to get at least one ride in after sunset.

The unlimited option isn't written very clearly on their site, but Lightning Rod and Drop Line (not that you need it for this one) can be ridden as many times as you want with the Unlimited Timesaver. I would buy it in advance since Dollywood does sell out of these. You can actually keep track of how many are left if you try to put it in your cart and pick a specific day.

Has this definitely been confirmed for this season? I know it was the case in 2017 (unlimited included LR) when I went but the language on the website has gone through a couple changes this season, making it less clear.

Normal one is a lanyard with 10 hole punches (2 of which are orange and can be used for LR or Drop Line).

The Unlimited is a lanyard with a date written on it. No punch holes. Unlimited. Been plenty of times this year and seen them in action.

Normal one is a lanyard with 10 hole punches (2 of which are orange and can be used for LR or Drop Line).

The Unlimited is a lanyard with a date written on it. No punch holes. Unlimited. Been plenty of times this year and seen them in action.

Awesome, great to know. This was affecting planning of a possible summer weekend trip. Thanks!

I finally got to visit Dollywood on Monday. Had a fun time, I'll try to post more about it later. I know this isn't Dollywood specific but I did try to visit the coaster at Goats on the Roof. The store was open but the coaster was closed. The lady working the store said it took some storm/flood damage a while back, and it would be closed for at least another month. Her exact words were "they have a lot to put back together". Ouch, that sounds unfortunate. Hope they are able to get it back together.

I did ride Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster twice. That was a hell of a lot of fun, my first alpine coaster experience and I rode it at night. Kind of creepy flying through the woods with no one around!

I did try to visit the coaster at Goats on the Roof. The store was open but the coaster was closed. The lady working the store said it took some storm/flood damage a while back, and it would be closed for at least another month.

They posted was Feb 24, It's been down a while.

I did try to visit the coaster at Goats on the Roof. The store was open but the coaster was closed. The lady working the store said it took some storm/flood damage a while back, and it would be closed for at least another month.

They posted was Feb 24, It's been down a while.

We went by back in March during spring break. My kids love Goats on the Roof. Went up stairs and looked out the window and they were shoring up the hill side. It appeared during all of the rain in February, the hill side had slide away. This was the section just as you come out of the station. So we went back to Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster and they loved it too.

Just about two weeks until Wildwood Grove opens. Any local folks thinking its looking on schedule? I haven't seen any videos or pictures of the tree going up yet. Hoping too soon. Was curious if folks were seeing lots of planting to give it the "Grove" feel. I know they are spending at least a million on landscaping.