TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I was looking at the season passes, and it said prices will go up after Jan.1. Anyone know how much they will increase?

I believe the prices are already a little higher for the 2017 season passes but don't fall for the prices go up trick..

Have to check a few time through the season to see if anything else changes. I've never done so.

So, I wrote down the prices back in Dec after this post. Then I just checked them today.

Everything went up $4.

2017 Season Passes (Quantities 1-3) (Super Regular) $148 $152

2017 Season Passes (Quantities 1-3) (Super Gold) $200 $204

2017 Season Passes (Quantities 1-3) (Regular) $99 $103

2017 Season Passes (Quantities 1-3) (Gold) $151 $155

So was getting emails about prices going up again. Now I got a message that the "offer" w extended til March 19.

Interested to see if there's another increase after opening weekend. I don't think I've seen that done before.

Usually just one increase per season. Guess I'll have to check next week and see if they really change again.

I gave and got mine Sunday lol just in case there really was an increase.. usually though they keep extending it but who knows

I actually went with the super pass this season

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Looking for some advice on a trip to Dollywood in late April. I was originally planning on going to the park on Friday April 21st. I saw that season passholders can get someone in for free with them starting on April 22nd. So I potentially could go on Sunday, April 23rd instead and save some money for my friend if I were to buy a season pass. Friday the park is open an extra hour, probably due to spring break.

So, if one was only going for roller coasters, would the crowd be much different between Friday and Sunday?

I've never been to the park before so am unsure what kind of crowds are normal.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Sunday is one of Dollywoods dead days.. travelers that have been in town all week are leaving or have left and new travelers are coming in but to tired to be at Dollywood yet so the crowds on Sunday should be much less. Sunday you get a lot of locals after church but not as many tourists..

Another thing you have to consider in late April is school friend trips.. just bc Sevierville schools are out for Spring break, most of the larger school systems in the area are actually out THIS week.. i always run into school trips during the week in April.. good news is, most schools are out of the park by 4 or 5

So coaster crew has an event at the park on opening day. They have been waiting for confirmation from the park for their ERT ride. They announced yesterday Lightning Rod will be their ERT ride, so things are looking positive that the ride will be ready for opening weekend, fingers crossed!! Hopefully the restraints on it are not tighter this year - it says guests approaching 200 pounds and/or taller than 6 ft 4 in may have difficulty fitting. I'm 6ft 4in and 275 and just barely fit last year.

On another note I noticed that most of the coasters are subject to closure in inclement weather including extreme hot temperatures... I wonder how hot it needs to get before the coasters close?

Never seen any close due to it being hot and I have been there on 100 degree days.. I'd imagine if it becomes so hot that it is unsafe for staff they might close or if the coaster starts overheating somehow they might close. Or if people start passing out in line or something lol..

I'd imagine they just have extreme heat listed to cover their butts if they do close for heat.. I personally, have never seen it happen

On another note, aside from the rain, weather seems to be looking up for this weekend! They haven't updated the weather for downtown Gatlinburg yet, it still says 45 but Knoxville says 62 now and Pigeon Forge seems to be matching Knoxville on the sources I use (both local and national sources).. I'd put the real temp for Dollywood somewhere around lower to mid 50s for Sat which is much better than 40s

Edited by dstephe9

Never seen any close due to it being hot and I have been there on 100 degree days.. I'd imagine if it becomes so hot that it is unsafe for staff they might close or if the coaster starts overheating somehow they might close.

On another note, aside from the rain, weather seems to be looking up for this weekend! They haven't updated the weather for downtown Gatlinburg yet, it still says 45 but Knoxville says 62 now and Pigeon Forge seems to be matching Knoxville on the sources I use (both local and national sources).. I'd put the real temp for Dollywood somewhere around lower to mid 50s for Sat which is much better than 40s

Not Dollywood, but I've been to Cedar Point on 90+ degree days with high humidity and all the coasters remained open (although with likely shorter lines as everyone went to the water park)

Hey y'all saw a few pages back about a season passholder day this Friday the 17th. I didn't get the newsletter. Is this open to regular (not gold) passholders and in your experience what are the crowds like on this day please? Also, not sure what the hours of the event are. I'd be driving up from Atlanta so I want to make sure I can even get in and that it wont be too slammed. Thanks!

Never seen any close due to it being hot and I have been there on 100 degree days.. I'd imagine if it becomes so hot that it is unsafe for staff they might close or if the coaster starts overheating somehow they might close.

Not Dollywood, but I've been to Cedar Point on 90+ degree days with high humidity and all the coasters remained open (although with likely shorter lines as everyone went to the water park)

Once I was at Worlds of Fun on a 95 degree day and Mamba was constantly breaking down and I'm pretty sure I remember it being because of the lift motor overheating, but it was nice getting stuck 100 ft in the air because there was actually a cool breeze up there

Hey y'all saw a few pages back about a season passholder day this Friday the 17th. I didn't get the newsletter. Is this open to regular (not gold) passholders and in your experience what are the crowds like on this day please? Also, not sure what the hours of the event are. I'd be driving up from Atlanta so I want to make sure I can even get in and that it wont be too slammed. Thanks!

Any pass that will get you in the on a normal operating day.

Regular pass or gold pass, Dollywood or Super Pass.

Never been very crowded when I was there.

I don't recall any special hours, just regular Friday hours. Maybe someone who got a notice about it has the hours specifically.

Edit: yep, regular hours,10-7.

http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Guest-Services/Passholder-Page

Thank you!

Any pass that will get you in the on a normal operating day.

Regular pass or gold pass, Dollywood or Super Pass.

Never been very crowded when I was there.

I don't recall any special hours, just regular Friday hours. Maybe someone who got a notice about it has the hours specifically.

Edit: yep, regular hours,10-7.

http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Guest-Services/Passholder-Page

So coaster crew has an event at the park on opening day. They have been waiting for confirmation from the park for their ERT ride. They announced yesterday Lightning Rod will be their ERT ride, so things are looking positive that the ride will be ready for opening weekend, fingers crossed!! Hopefully the restraints on it are not tighter this year - it says guests approaching 200 pounds and/or taller than 6 ft 4 in may have difficulty fitting. I'm 6ft 4in and 275 and just barely fit last year.

On another note I noticed that most of the coasters are subject to closure in inclement weather including extreme hot temperatures... I wonder how hot it needs to get before the coasters close?

Those restraints are brutal. I'm 6'2 and over 200lbs, sometimes I have no trouble at all getting the lap bar to close perfectly without extra force, but other times it fights back..... it's just not consistent seat to seat.

That's great news on Lightning Rod! I'll be making my first visit to DW this summer and I was really hoping that the issues with Lightning Rod would be figured out by then. I am also excited to check out the new drop tower, which should be open for my visit as well.

I wonder if LR will finally be added to the timesaver this year??

The website says "Lightning Rod (limit one ride per person)" for TimeSaver.

I've never been to Dollywood but I don't recall TImeSaver being explained like this last year. Here is what the website says for this year:

Rides

To receive expedited access to lines at select* rides, simply look for the TimeSaver entrance at your selected ride and show the Host your wristband. One tab will be removed from your wristband by a TimeSaver Host to allow entrance to the attraction. Unused tabs will be forfeited.

I wonder if LR will finally be added to the timesaver this year??

The website says "Lightning Rod (limit one ride per person)" for TimeSaver.

I've never been to Dollywood but I don't recall TImeSaver being explained like this last year. Here is what the website says for this year:

Rides

To receive expedited access to lines at select* rides, simply look for the TimeSaver entrance at your selected ride and show the Host your wristband. One tab will be removed from your wristband by a TimeSaver Host to allow entrance to the attraction. Unused tabs will be forfeited.

I haven't been keeping up, it seems they're moving from the qbot system, to a wristband valid for only 10 rides. Which, for $35 still isn't that bad of a deal.

Checked into my hotel tonight in Pigeon Forge and it turns out the all the Festival of Nations Performers are staying here except Mother Africa. Dollywood vans in the parking lot. Pretty neat! Makes me wonder why they are staying here and not the Dreammore lol.

Dollywood has contracts with area hotels for their college students that work during the summer with their various college programs.. Id imagine they use the same hotels for performers.. Dollywood actually takes up a lot of hotel space during the summer for these programs and I'd imagine they would probably fill up dreammore if they put everyone there..

I am surprised Dollywood hasn't built dorms somewhere similar to Disney.. I guess if their college and ambassador programs become more popular they might but I also guess them being seasonal means hotels are less expensive than dorms

Side note, the college students actually pay for the rooms out of their paychecks but its heavily discounted.. Not sure if performers do the same or not

It appears that more rides have been added to timesaver this year, unless I'm wrong. I was looking at the list and noticed more rides listed there compared to last year. Let's see how it works out this year.

I will be at the park tomorrow for passholder preview day. I'm really looking forward to getting more laps in on Lightning Rod and checking out the changes that were made around the park during the off-season!!