TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Returning from fun weekend at the park. Sat was CRAZY. Heard 18-20k. All JR high/ high school band choir kids so we had almost no waits on rides with the littlest ones. Went back this morning for walk ins on all the major coasters. One thing hit me today riding blazing fury. I know I'm going to get slammed for this but if Dollywood really wants to play on the national stage that lighting rod and other recent pluses are getting them to its time for this to get a MAJOR redo or go away. I know there's the nostalgia factor but that can only get you so far. I know there have been some system and track upgrades in the last year or so but nostalgia just ain't cutting it anymore when your pulling a super-regional/national audience. I'm not saying ditch the whole thing but there's no reason that a park of the Caliber Dollywood is becoming can't have one or two great dark rides with this being one of them. There needs to be a "song" or soundtrack that gives the whole thing a cohesive story. Upgrade the sets and animatronics to the level that the other new additions are at. There's a poster of "flooded mine" convicts literally tacked up down a tunnel. The whole thing come off as a bad high school haunted house. I know it's "the way it's been for 38 years" but I think it's time to celebrate the past by honoring it with a great update that elevates the whole experience.

I think Blazing Fury is a fine fit just the way it is. While i truly miss the water elements, they have steadily been making improvements to it over the past few years including some re-tracking. I think it will continue to get these little face lifts here and there making it a more scenic ride as time goes by. That's perfect for what it is, and i think ride will be around for long, long time. Why would Dollywood want to deny all of thier long time visitors the chance to scare the hell out of their children when they reach 42" the same way it was done to them when they were kids. That would just be wrong.

Why can't they have that plus a new one? I don't know many dark rides that people drive a great distance for at any park so I doubt the ROI would not be worth the time and effort to redo this attraction and put another in its place.

If they created something truly unique people might drive for it. I just think its glaringly out of step quality-wise with the rest of the park. Problem is they already used the "haunted mine" idea for Mystery Mine. I also think the fire idea is so much better done with firechaser that it becomes even more obvious when they have the same core idea of "family coaster" with firefighters. Theres got to be something cool that could give this new life on a realistic budget.....IDEAS????

"I declare, ya'll are so impatient! These rolly coasters are complicated; there's almost as much support on that thang than one of my bras!

Ya know, here in the hills when things get tense, we gather on the front porch with friends and kinfolk, sing some songs, snort some Oxycontin, eat some cinnamon bread. . . and next thing ya know a month has gone by and the 'lectric's been shut off but you're that much closer to your dream!

Keep dreaming ya'll, and see ya at Dollywood!

I just snorted from reading a bit myself

I'm currently planning a 4-person Dollywood trip for sometime in late June or July (hopefully LR is up and running by then lol), and will actually be in the park on a Sunday. I've done a bit of research already so some of this is just confirmation instead of questions.

It looks like DW doesn't offer any sort of promotional codes for regular one-day tickets, correct? Seems like the only things that aren't tied to season passes or their own resorts is $5 per person discounts at like McDonalds, or participating hotels (which I still need to research). But also it sounds like at-gate prices are the same as online prices, right? If so, then there's not as much of a rush there, and we can figure out the best price up until the day of the visit.

My advice. Buy season passes and convince those friends to return with you to the park for two days during Smoky Mountain Christmas.

Edited by larrygator

^^^I opened this page and y'all had me scared thinking the park was doing something to the ride. Whoops. Other than the missing water (still a great touch on SDC's rendition), I didn't have any issue with it. It's a classic.

From an event they had today I was looking at a picture taken from the station where the train was on the brakes. Inside the station were what looked to be like packaged torso's of water dummies lying everywhere. Not sure if they'll start using those for a day or two then open it up or what will go. Rumors have made their way across the state line about a weekend opening though.

^^^I opened this page and y'all had me scared thinking the park was doing something to the ride. Whoops. Other than the missing water (still a great touch on SDC's rendition), I didn't have any issue with it. It's a classic.

Even the classics need a refreshing now and then, and if you take the lense of nostalgia away it really falls short in my opinion. I went with Dollywood newbies this weekend and they had no "history" going into the ride so they took it at face value and the reaction was "what the ......?" It was hard to really even justify it to them in the scope of the quality of the attractions throughout the park. I just wish there was something that added more overall energy to the ride. Better music, something to cover the dull hum of the motors through long stretches of nothing. Even the new "fire" led lights in the Windows has lost some of the energy of the old "blown fabric" fire used in other areas. I get campy, but it needs to feel like it's intentional campy so it doesn't come off as crappy.

Even the classics need a refreshing now and then, and if you take the lense of nostalgia away it really falls short in my opinion. I went with Dollywood newbies this weekend and they had no "history" going into the ride so they took it at face value and the reaction was "what the ......?" It was hard to really even justify it to them in the scope of the quality of the attractions throughout the park. I just wish there was something that added more overall energy to the ride. Better music, something to cover the dull hum of the motors through long stretches of nothing. Even the new "fire" led lights in the Windows has lost some of the energy of the old "blown fabric" fire used in other areas. I get campy, but it needs to feel like it's intentional campy so it doesn't come off as crappy.

^ It's fine! We all want to see bigger and better things at every theme park we visit. Fact is that they can't just re-do everything every year to make a few people be blown away because they rode it for thier second time in 3 years. The ride is fun, and serves alot of purpose to Dollywood's history. Ride it and enjoy it, but if you don't enjoy it, don't ride it again. It's that simple.

"I declare, ya'll are so impatient! These rolly coasters are complicated; there's almost as much support on that thang than one of my bras!

Ya know, here in the hills when things get tense, we gather on the front porch with friends and kinfolk, sing some songs, snort some Oxycontin, eat some cinnamon bread. . . and next thing ya know a month has gone by and the 'lectric's been shut off but you're that much closer to your dream!

Keep dreaming ya'll, and see ya at Dollywood!"

Seriously hilarious!

^ It's fine! We all want to see bigger and better things at every theme park we visit. Fact is that they can't just re-do everything every year to make a few people be blown away because they rode it for thier second time in 3 years. The ride is fun, and serves alot of purpose to Dollywood's history. Ride it and enjoy it, but if you don't enjoy it, don't ride it again. It's that simple.

Im not asking for a redo because I wasn't blown away - no need to get snippy. Im simply pointing out that the ride as it is now doesn't seem up to the level that the park is aspiring to. Im saying that friends I took this weekend that had not been to the park before and had no "historical" frame of reference were unimpressed - and no, they didn't think the ride was especially "fun". You are getting a bit "personal" with some of your response. I get so tired of the "if you don't like it don't ride it" response. Im not saying I'll never ride it until its exactly what I want. Im just thinking out loud and wondering what the park could do to update it to make it when Im just Blue-Sky thinking. Im not saying that everyone here is in the wrong for their defense of the attraction - Im just seeing if there are any interesting ideas out there for updating the ride so it BOTH pays homage to the history and is interesting and engaging for new people that the park is aiming to attract.

^ It's fine! We all want to see bigger and better things at every theme park we visit. Fact is that they can't just re-do everything every year to make a few people be blown away because they rode it for thier second time in 3 years. The ride is fun, and serves alot of purpose to Dollywood's history.

Honestly, I kind of agree with him in that it's incredibly difficult to know what to expect going into Blazing Fury. I feel like if they better communicated that it's a "heritage" attraction and did something to make the story a little bit easier to understand, it probably would be a little bit more popular, even without being "re-done".

Thanks. Exactly on point. I LOVE the campiness. I think they need to play that up more. Going in "blind" you're not sure if this is serious or all in fun. Your not sure if they KNOW it's low tech or if they actually think it's convincing. I think at this point they'd do well do make it less about the firefighters (which it isn't really,or is it?) and more about "bad guys rob the bank, burn the town, hold up the train, outrun the sheriff etc. play up the hokey stereotype mountain hillbilly aspect by making the characters more comical instead of the creepy, crappy, realistic, unrealistic mash up that's there now. Have one consistent style to the characters. Make it OBVIOUS that it's hokey. I love the idea of highlighting it's a "heritage attraction" by maybe showing photos of the original characters and how they've evolved. I love even more "fun house" surprise gags like characters popping out of Windows or at least MOVING QUICKLY to create energy. Let's face it. It's really a creaky electric train ride up a long hill for 7/8 of the ride. If there was more to create some energy then the whole thing would pay off more. I don't want it gone... I want it great so it STAYS.

I was pretty annoyed when I waited in line to ride this thing that did nothing. I did not grow up with the ride though and just saw it as a waste of time.

Am I the only one who never got to ride Blazing Fury as a kid who loves it as an adult taking it at face value?

I loved it when I visited back in 2014! I didn't know much about it going in, and I thought it was great.

My first time riding it was in late March. I knew nothing about it going in except that it had a drop at the end. No one told me it had 3. Went back 2 weeks ago for the weekend and rode it 11-12 times because we loved it that much. It's a great ride as it is in my opinion.

If Disney can change/upgrade/downgrade/remove all their classic rides, there's no reason Dollywood shouldn't be allowed to. Brendhodge didn't say a complete re-do; just upgrades. I'm sure many people get tired of it. Some people complain if classics are upgraded; others complain if they never are. I'd be all for improvements. Eventually they all need some upgrades IMO, whether it's for maintenance, a better ride, or to just change things up.

Wicked Blazing Fury anyone?

^Have you been to Silver Dollar City? As much as I enjoyed Blazing Fury, Fire in the Hole has it beat for still having the water splashdown at the end. Seriously one of the most fun experiences I've ever had on a ride!

I have not though I hope I can next summer. It's for sure near the top of my must get to parks.

If Disney can change/upgrade/downgrade/remove all their classic rides, there's no reason Dollywood shouldn't be allowed to. Brendhodge didn't say a complete re-do; just upgrades. I'm sure many people get tired of it. Some people complain if classics are upgraded; others complain if they never are. I'd be all for improvements. Eventually they all need some upgrades IMO, whether it's for maintenance, a better ride, or to just change things up.

I use Disney as a great example - there are dark rides that have been "classics" for decades, but they were QUALITY rides to begin with - have been for decades. Its amazing when you look at Pirates or Haunted Mansion and realize these were products of the 60's. Did they have LOTS more money that SDC did in the 70's to create Blazing Fury? - sure, but thats my point - Dollywood no longer has to make bargain upgrades. I know they spent some serious money on track upgrades a season or two back - the ride itself is fine, but to keep things just for the sake of "nostalgia" visually when there are upgrades that can be made that not only elevate the experience, but celebrate the inventiveness from 38 years ago seems odd. Even the new figures are created in a creepy, amateur 1970s Pigeon Forge way. The legacy of the ride deserves better I think. Clear up the "story" or write a new one. Respect the legacy of what they did on a budget years ago by showing it some love and money investment now. It also seems like an actual "restoration/reimagining" would ensure its longevity instead of piecemeal low end "enhancements" that could easily be "written off" when deciding the long-term fate of a "legacy attraction" like this. Heck - even playing up the hokey, campy nature and creating clear, compelling "characters" could spawn a collection of shirts, collectibles etc that could give more ROI.

This is getting into a different argument of "updated" vs "kitsch". Personally I prefer kitschy Disney, like the old Spaceship Earth with future technologies we currently have, the kind of faded retro-future,

-y Disney. So I have yet to ride kitschy Blazing Fury, but I hope I do before they make it new and modern. This is definitely a minority opinion though, since World of Motion no longer exists.

Every time someone mentions "updating" FiTH/Blazing Fury my eyes nearly roll all the way back in my head.

There's no way these rides can be "updated" enough that those calling for the "updates" would be impressed. You'd simply have to bulldoze and start over with something bigger, which I'm sure the parks have been looking into given the trends in how the parks are run these days. If they put down the investment for an update such as new animatronics, then it becomes necessary to update the track system to make it worthwhile, and then the whole building needs to be updated to protect those investments... and so on.

I say these rides are perfectly fine the way they are. There are small things that can be improved such as audio, and refurbishments are always welcome to make the experience smoother, but they have always been and always will be very fun and creative rides from an age where parks weren't so cookie-cutter. I have yet to be impressed by any of the newer dark rides I've ridden at standard regional parks. I really miss the days of the old Bill Tracy rides and similar that were so memorable and unique.

^^

Guy, if you are not writing professionally somewhere, then you are missing your calling, my friend! As one writer to (potentially) another - do look into it!

You are very kind sir. In response to your statement, yes, I do write. Mostly scripts and fun stuff for myself. Not to get too much off on a tangent, but I am currently in the process if releasing much of the stuff I have done on my YouTube channel. I have finally had it all digitized and am putting it up one or two projects a week. There is quite a bit of crazy coaster stuff that I once had here at the TPR store. I will definitely create a thread with links. It's weird shiz.

But now allow me to get back on track.

Where were we?

Oh yeah.

IT'LL NEVER OPEN!

^^I agree. I've been riding Blazing Fury since 1992 and I love how they tinker with it and make subtle adjustments each year. Sometimes they're things I like, sometimes not, but its always good to see them working on it in some way....versus letting it fall apart.

And to suggest that DW can do massive improvements b/c Disney is able to do so is comparing apples and oranges. Disney is a multi-billion dollar media conglomerate with numerous parks and enormous creative workforce, etc. Dollywood is one park/resort complex, with a humble music icon as its spokesperson and fundraiser. That's hardly a fair comparison.

I do agree with, and like the idea of making the Blazing Fury story more cohesive. The story really gets lost along the way and that's something relatively easy to fix and wouldn't cost very much.