TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Well if that's true then the people who were reporting that were wrong. I did a quick search but only found the opposite reported which matches my experience there in June and what they have on their website. I usually wore it on rides anyway even though you didn't have to but the ride op on Drop Line specifically told me that I didn't have to wear it when he saw it still on when he was checking seats. He then went on to tell me that he was in his 80's and "Never saw anything like this covid business before"... Once he told me his age I definitely was not about to take it off.

Edited by coasterbill

Will be taking my first ever Dollywood trip the last weekend in September, followed by 4 nights of hiking and exploring the surrounding area. Is it bad to experience my first time during COVID? Hoping it's a good experience!

^As I've told everyone going to 'new to them' parks this season, you just have to realize that you're not getting the real park experience and don't hold anything dumb against them. It's still possible to have a great day, might just be a little trickier.

I just visited for the first time today and I had a great time! I decided to splurge and get the Timesaver because it was a weekend, but overall the crowds were not bad at all. Very charming park. All major coasters except Tennessee Tornado were running 2 trains, which was nice. Staff were super friendly as well, especially the Lightning Rod crew. I will definitely have to head back post-pandemic, but as long as you’re visiting with slightly modified expectations this year, it’s still a worthwhile visit in my opinion.

Oh yes, I was definitely checking queue times online constantly to make sure it was open before making the drive down from Ohio. It did have a few brief periods of downtime yesterday but was operational for most of the day. I guess everyone who attended this weekend can consider themselves lucky.

All major coasters except Tennessee Tornado were running 2 trains, which was nice. Staff were super friendly as well, especially the Lightning Rod crew.

LR was back open? Reports on FB were it had been closed for a week+. Claims about track work.

Well if that's true then the people who were reporting that were wrong. I did a quick search but only found the opposite reported which matches my experience there in June and what they have on their website

Well as an example..

they'd actively make announcements such as, "We have cameras and if you take your mask off during the ride, we have to stop and clean your seat after, making everybody else wait longer".

then later mentions hearing that twice on TT and once on TH.

You know what, they've actually changed it. I looked when I posted that and they hadn't updated the website but they have now. There used to be a list of rides where they weren't required which was basically all thrill rides and water rides. Now it says that masks will be required on all rides, except water rides or waterpark attractions at Dollywood.

Either way, it's really not a big deal.

All major coasters except Tennessee Tornado were running 2 trains, which was nice. Staff were super friendly as well, especially the Lightning Rod crew.

LR was back open? Reports on FB were it had been closed for a week+. Claims about track work.

Opened again on Friday. Ran most of the weekend and is currently running today.

At least they finally updated the info.

Emails previously said not on thrill rides but then people reported that not being the case. I didn't see an email with the policy change.

Doesn't matter to me either (not going with any mask requirements), but setting correct expectations is important.

• 3 weeks later...
Well if that's true then the people who were reporting that were wrong. I did a quick search but only found the opposite reported which matches my experience there in June and what they have on their website. I usually wore it on rides anyway even though you didn't have to but the ride op on Drop Line specifically told me that I didn't have to wear it when he saw it still on when he was checking seats. He then went on to tell me that he was in his 80's and "Never saw anything like this covid business before"... Once he told me his age I definitely was not about to take it off. [emoji38]
It's hit or miss. On Wild Eagle during one of my visits they made a guest put a mask on before dispatching. I've seen the same on BF.

Just like they sometimes enforce the mask policy in the park and sometimes they don't. Sunday, I was there, and they really cared less if you wore a mask. No one said anything to anyone that I noticed if you weren't wearing one.

The official policy, at least what I was told, is that mask are required on all rides except water rides this is also what's posted online

"For the protection of each other and our guests, our employees will wear masks. Our guests (3 years and older) will also be required to wear a face mask or face covering except for meal times, on water attractions and at designated mask-free break zones at Dollywood."

If your experience was different, that was likely one of the days or ride ops that were more lenient. I'm finding these more frequently now

The time where they wouldn't dispatch Wild Eagle when a guest didn't have their mask was the first week or two of opening, now they are more lenient, at least during my visits

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9

^Of course the Lightning Rod crew is friendly—they only have to work twice a week!
The parks only open four times a week now [emoji14]

But honestly I've seen it open once or twice this year and that's it

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I was at Dollywood two weeks ago and Lightning Rod was down all weekend for trackwork on the final turn. It was definitely annoying if Dollywood knew the coaster would be closed for the trackwork and they finally updated their website to reflect the closure on the Monday.

Last weekend, the coaster had two days where it ran for about an hour before closing for the rest of the day per Queue-Times (including the last operating day on Monday).

It was definitely annoying if Dollywood knew the coaster would be closed for the trackwork and they finally updated their website to reflect the closure on the Monday.

The only time I recall and ride closure info on the website was the first year (maybe 2nd?) of LR and the warning it was likely to be closed.

Never seen other ride status for LR or any other ride on the website. Not closures waiting for parts or other work.

Are you saying the Monday after you were there they did change the website to indicate LT was closed?