TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Your report reminded me of the other Weather Condition that Dollywood has and that is that they go to One Train Operation when it gets down to 45 Degrees - for Wild Eagle, Thunderhead & Tornado. So that can really make the lines long long long...and they don't do a very good of job of explaining this either.

This policy is mandated by GCI in their ride operations manual. For a short time, all coasters adhered to it but don't any longer. As of this moment, Thunderhead is the only coaster that does this.

I was lucky and got a Q2Q Saturday, the wait wasn't too bad with that, and all morning there weren't any lines. Then at night there weren't any lines from what I saw. I thought I didn't really need the q2q for the rides, but I must have been at a show or eating when the lines were long.

Your report reminded me of the other Weather Condition that Dollywood has and that is that they go to One Train Operation when it gets down to 45 Degrees - for Wild Eagle, Thunderhead & Tornado. So that can really make the lines long long long...and they don't do a very good of job of explaining this either.

This policy is mandated by GCI in their ride operations manual. For a short time, all coasters adhered to it but don't any longer. As of this moment, Thunderhead is the only coaster that does this.

Thanks for sharing that, thats interesting and good to know. It would be awesome if there was a fix for whatever is the reasoning behind the GCI policy...wonder if its the compression brakes vs. magnetic brakes?? It's the only coaster in the park that has just compression brakes. MM has magnetic, compression and tires, TT has magnetic and compression, BF has magnetic....so i wonder if it's just a matter of time for Thunderhead? Or is there another reason altogether?? anyway thanks again for the info!!

So I really hate to be one of "those people" but I need to ask.

We're planning on going to Dollywood for the first time ever either the 1st or 2nd weekend of December. We're basing it entirely on weather as it's an 11 hour drive and we're leaving from the office (in New York) on Friday to be there on Saturday... then driving home Sunday. It seems like an amazing amount of driving but when I found out that I could ride coasters in December there wasn't really much to think about. I understand that the coasters may close at night due to low temps, but that's not the end of the world as we'd still get a good 6 or 7 hours of riding in and I'm sure there's plenty of stuff to do when it gets dark (including Blazing Fury).

I did have a few questions though...

Is the quick queue something you generally need on a Saturday in December? Is it something you should decide on beforehand or can you wait to see how the lines are first (basically I'm asking if they sell out frequently or if this really isn't an issue).

Also, assuming temperatures do shut the coasters down, what else do you suggest checking out? Any particular shows / rides or areas that aren't dependent on weather (besides Blazing Fury)?

Finally, does anyone have any general park tips since we've never been there before? We're planning on getting there right when they open.

Edited by coasterbill

^If it were me and I was driving that great distance, then I would get a Qbot. They’re good for rides and shows. You have to book all the shows at the Qbot booth, but rides can be booked anywhere in the park. TnTornadoX has mentioned on here that you can pre-order a Qbot on the Dollywood website…so that’s a good tip too. I’ve never seen them sell out of Qbots, but that’s just my experience with it. Yes, Saturdays are busy during the Christmas event in November and December. It gets busier as the day progresses, people come to see the lights especially and the shows are very popular as well. As for shows, new this year is Dollywoods A Christmas Carol…featuring a hologram of Dolly in each performance. Check the website for all the other shows. There’s a lot to do and see at Dollywood…lots! Hope that helps some, i know others will have more advice and suggestions.

Also, in comparison to other theme parks prices, Dollywood's Q2Q is very resonably priced. You get the best seats for the shows, and very little wait in line for everything it covers. I'm a season pass holder, and still sometimes get it during Christmas. Me N' tha fam will be there that same weekend. Have a great time. Dollywood is awesome. And this time of the year is just magical.

I was lucky and got a Q2Q Saturday, the wait wasn't too bad with that, and all morning there weren't any lines. Then at night there weren't any lines from what I saw. I thought I didn't really need the q2q for the rides, but I must have been at a show or eating when the lines were long.

Eagle and MM had crazy lines right at dark.. Around 6:30 I guess.. Eagle had the entire queue line filled up and was down to the door. MM was just half way down the steps but MM is slow at loading.. Besides that, lines weren't bad at all..

I am not much of a show type of guy,but I would highly recommend going to see Twas the Night before Christmas to anyone going to Dollywood during the Smoky Mountain Christmas event. It was a great show on par with something you would see at a theater, also Christmas Carol was very good also. After seeing both of these I know why alot of older people go just for the shows. Anyone going on a Saturday I would recommend the q2q just for the shows, the lines are extremely long for the shows and I saw many people not get into shows and have to wait till the next showing which is usually two hours after. With a gold pass I got the q2q for two people for 35 bucks so definatly pays off, also there was almost never a wait on the q2q for any of the coasters when I reserved them on Saturday. I am not sure if other Saturdays will be as busy as last Saturday as I had to park in the splash country parking lot after leaving to eat something. So I would definatly recomend the q2q it is a really good deal and worth the money.

I am not much of a show type of guy,but I would highly recommend going to see Twas the Night before Christmas to anyone going to Dollywood during the Smoky Mountain Christmas event. It was a great show on par with something you would see at a theater, also Christmas Carol was very good also. After seeing both of these I know why alot of older people go just for the shows. Anyone going on a Saturday I would recommend the q2q just for the shows, the lines are extremely long for the shows and I saw many people not get into shows and have to wait till the next showing which is usually two hours after. With a gold pass I got the q2q for two people for 35 bucks so definatly pays off, also there was almost never a wait on the q2q for any of the coasters when I reserved them on Saturday. I am not sure if other Saturdays will be as busy as last Saturday as I had to park in the splash country parking lot after leaving to eat something. So I would definatly recomend the q2q it is a really good deal and worth the money.

I was going to say, if you go on a Sat, especially for the shows get a q2q because the lines where VERY VERY long..

Also if you are going for more than one day I would recommend one person in your party get a gold season pass, it really comes in handy with parking, and the 20% off is pretty much good for anything in the park so that also came in handy very much throughout the weekend. The season pass is also good for next year also, so I usually go once a year around Christmas time so it works out to where I only need to buy a pass every other year. You will enjoy yourself so much that it will become an annual trip. It is the best trip I take every year, and the one I look forward too the most. The attention to detail they put into the Christmas lights and decorations is astounding. Dollywood really is on their way to becoming a top tier park in my opinion, if their not there already. I also live in New York its about a 13 hour drive for me but is well worth it every year. I would recommend next year planning ahead of time so you can go thursday-Sunday because there is so much other things to do in the surrounding area that a weekend isn't enough time to really experience the area completely.

So Firechaser Express's trains were finally revealed at IAAPA today. While I really like the locomotive design, I feel the trains would fit the theming better as fire trucks.

I had trouble linking the direct photo from this phone so heres the link instead.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152055061697240&id=239284692239&set=pcb.10152055068627240&source=49&refid=17&ref=stream

- Can't go wrong with a locomotive design though.

So Firechaser Express's trains were finally revealed at IAAPA today. While I really like the locomotive design, I feel the trains would fit the theming better as fire trucks.

I had trouble linking the direct photo from this phone so heres the link instead.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152055061697240&id=239284692239&set=pcb.10152055068627240&source=49&refid=17&ref=stream

- Can't go wrong with a locomotive design though.

Actually, there's a reason why they are locomotive themed. Who's ready for a history lesson?

I spoke with Anthony Esparza, the VP of Guest Experience/Creative Design for Herschend Family Entertainment, and he shed some light on the ride's historical influence.

Back in the 1930's and 1940's the smokey mountains weren't very accessible by roads, instead, most of the paths through the mountains were traversed by railroads. Whenever a fire broke out up in the mountains, Volunteer Firefighters would take "Fire Trains" up into the hills, get as close as they could to the fire, then take their tools into the forest to fight the fires! So there's actually some real historical significance behind it!

Pretty cool huh?

image.jpg.0288225c8b17948977647eac6a1a334a.jpg

Maybe I was just looking in the wrong places. I mean, the theming is wonderful in all of their attractions. I don't know why, but I always felt like something was missing from their theming. I can't put my finger on it either. It felt like there was something I didn't know, but everybody else did.

^Just spend some time exploring the immediate areas around the ride and the queue lines. Mystery Mine, Tennessee Tornado and Barnstormer for instance have signs and other theming all over the ride that build up the backstory. And Blazing Fury, you literally ride through the storyline.

Went to Dollywood today for my first time and I absolutely loved it! What a great park. I've heard good things about it, but I was just really impressed with everything.The park was dead so everything was a walk-on. All the park staff were really helpful and friendly. The food was great! Loved the cinnamon bread! The only bad thing was that Wild Eagle was closed until 5 for bees. I really enjoyed every coaster there. I got on Tennessee Tornado 3 times, the smoothest Arrow looping coaster I've been on. Mystery Mine was my 75th coaster and also my first Euro-fighter, I rode it 7 times. Really really enjoyed it and loved all the themeing! Got to ride Thunderhead 3 times. Best time was at night, it was so much fun to ride, definitely one of my favorite woodies now. Wild Eagle is my 2nd wing coaster and I still can't decide whether it is better than Gatekeeper or not. I want to say yes because I just couldn't stop laughing, Gatekeeper did not give me the same feeling.

As for FireChaser, lots of concrete was being poured today. Wish I had taken my camera to get some good pictures.

All in all, I just had a really great time there today and can't wait to go back!

Yea for some reason I like wild eagle much more than Gatekeeeper, on paper gatekeeper is the better ride but Wild eagle just flows better to me. I brought this question up to my girlfriend and she said "maybe because your not looking at a parking lot". This could be true, the mountain setting and the view coming over that lift hill are just beautiful. It doesn't hurt that it is in Dollywood and I am a lot happier when I am there, opposed to Cedar Point.

Just wondering if anyone can help me. I am trying to locate a ride layout plan for mystery mine. I do not know the ride that well as I have never been on it.

So if anyone could quickly draw up a line drawing of the attraction marking blocks, station locations for how many trains are there and the mechanics area that would be a real help!

I agree with what everyone saying about Wild Eagle being the best because of it's spectacular location. Dollywood would be a great theme park in ANY location, but the fact that it is nestled in the smoky mountains insures its place among the ranks of the best theme parks in the US.