TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

My thoughts and prayers go out to the woman and her husband, may they both move onward and upward from these treacherous times.

Glad I got to ride it while it was still around! I wonder if Knoebel's is going to figure out how to run this new ride unnaturally well. Looking forward to next season!

Let's think positive, it just says it's leaving the park. Maybe it's going to move in with her. Or they'll gently let her know her husband's leaving for more open space, perhaps it's off to live on a farm where it'll have all the space it needs to spin around whenever it wants that she sadly can't visit.

I'm not a /huge/ fan of Tornados...they just don't seem to spin nearly as well as a good teacup ride...but it's replacing about the only ride at Knoebels that I won't mind seeing go, so...sure, that's fine. And as has been pointed out already...it's going to be the best Tornado in the world anyway.

I can now say I think a Tornado is a decent addition. I used to find them boring and generally avoided them. A couple of years ago I rode one again on a whim, and now I spin them so fast that random adults laugh at me from the sidelines. (I'll never know if I truly rode some lesser ones in the past, or if I'm somehow getting more easily impressed with age....)

Yeah, I was about to say... anyone who finds these lame is cordially invited to ride one with me and Brit. My guess is that parks can probably adjust the level of resistance but I don’t think we’ve been on one where we didn’t spin it so fast we were seeing stars.

Edited by coasterbill

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it's a problem but they seem to be fixing it. We go out of our way to use the ones by the ferris wheel or (at the very least) the carousel museum.

This one is kind of out of the way but it'll be nice for guests using the picnic grove and cooking their own inferior food for some insane reason and for the covered bridge festival.

The comments are pretty solid on that post, too. This is certainly a valid criticism of the park. If all bathrooms were modern and nice like the ones they put in near Impulse, Knoebels would be a better place.

Agreed. It's the only thing that they really need to improve. It's otherwise perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

My annual comparison (aided by the wayback machine) of ride prices. Around 1/3 (23/64 at my quick count) of the rides saw a 25 cent increase this year.

Skyride is $4.

Coasters are $3-3.50 (Flying Turns is 3.50, the rest are 3)

Flats are mostly $2-2.25

Exceptions: Ferris Wheel and Stratosfear are $2.50, Carousel, Roto Jets, and Tea Cups are $1.75

Kiddie Rides are mostly $1.25-1.50 (most at $1.50). A couple exceptions: Track based rides and the kiddie coaster are $1.75-2.00).

For Taylor, personally, about 5 rides that we would typically ride (Bumper Cars, Looper, Paratrooper, Stratosfear, and Whip) went up 25 cents. We buy tickets at the Weis Market. So $1.25 increase in our cost for a visit with 20% discount on tickets is $1 increase. Yeah, that seems pretty solid compared to most parks admission increases.

Overall:

$1.25: 8 rides

$1.50: 13 rides

$1.75 8 rides

$2.00 18 rides

$2.25: 8 rides

$2.50: 3 rides

$3.00: 4 rides

$3.50: 1 ride

$4.00: 1 ride

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk and sorry if I bored you all!

Edited by Taylor Finn

Totally forgot about the skyride! Whoops. Yeah. Updated.

One more thought I had:

The Motor Boats and Antique Cars stayed at $2 for a driver, but the passenger price went up from $1.25 to $1.50. I assume folks will just drive themselves if they want to drive themselves. But might there be more people opting to do that, as opposed to going together as the cost difference between these two decreases? This would lower the rides capacity... If Knoebels could send out each car/boat with two people, they would prefer that right? I know this is... really getting into the weeds. The economics of Knoebels fascinates me, is all.

• 2 weeks later...

From their FB:

The #1 wooden roller coaster is receiving some extra attention. In addition to our usual commitment to maintaining the coaster itself, Phoenix is receiving upgrades to its façade and queue!

Kno.thumb.jpg.e54393ee148c762e0ea2909dfdc68e80.jpg

Kno2.thumb.jpg.6757dd581dd2d0d18be2731ea35d09a4.jpg

Another thing that apparently came out of a recent presentation from the park is that Impulse is receiving new trains that will allow riders from 48" to 52" to ride without booster seats.

Another thing that apparently came out of a recent presentation from the park is that Impulse is receiving new trains that will allow riders from 48" to 52" to ride without booster seats.

Hopefully that's not the only improvement to those restraints. Ouch.

Knoebels is just awesome. Other "smaller" parks would never do such an effort just because they are awesome and want to please its guests!

Part of the reason why I still love Knoebels is that they focus so much on "quality of life" improvements to the park each year instead of the latest whizz-bang attraction.