TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

^^The Cedar Fair version are more like a Mondial Flat Ride with actual arms/metal bars instead of a chain or cable holding you in.

I believe that the Fun Time version will always be scarier than the Mondial Version (which kind of seems more like a Chance Aviator).

I agree - the Star Flyers really get "scary" when the wind is blowing, since the seats will rotate left-right and vice-versa as you rotate around the tower. I don't think the ripoff version with the fixed arms will do that, I imagine the ride will be the same regardless of wind conditions. Throw in a chain versus a rigid arm and I agree, the original Funtime rides will be better.

Hooray for Six Flags for buying the better version!

Great to see Six Flags St. Louis getting something new, but i have a major concern: The ride being closed do to high wind. Superman Tower of Power (230 FT) Is frequently closed due to wind. I couldn't really say how many times a week, but it has to be more than two or three times. With this ride being just as tall/ taller, How do they expect to keep it open all of the time?

I'm stoked. I live in Missouri and have a season pass to the Flags and Fair parks. I've always wanted to ride one of these and I agree, it'll be scary as hell only hanging by a chain 230-some odd feet in the air. I do really like coasters, but it is time for a lot of parks to start adding more thrill and family flats and replacing the flume rides they've removed. And if you haven't been to Six Flags St. Louis in a while, I hope this will get you to go. This park, hands down (I've been to 70 some odd parks) is IMO the friendliest park and has the best staff. Even better and more consistent than Disneyland and Holiday World (which IS saying a lot!). I know in the past they were awful having experienced myself, but it's like Worlds of Fun and Six Flags St. Louis switched employees.

So, this is enough incentive for me to go opening weekend over to St. Louis from Kansas City, though I'm excited WOF is getting a Rockin' Tug with their expansion next year.

Star Flyers can operate in 40mph winds and they offer a different seat-hanging arrangement that can operate in even higher winds. Funtime posted that in their defense when everybody thought that the Mondials were built for more windy areas.

In the end, the mondials will hold 64 people, and that's really what Cedar Fair wanted.

So since this is being built near the Eagle, does that mean it is going to replace the Yo-Yo?

Screamscape rumors indicate that this will only be a temporary attraction, which would be awfully disappointing if so. It would be even more disappointing if they remove Riverview Racer to make way for just a year-long attraction. Oh well, that's just all speculation at this point. Temporary or not, I'm so excited that a Star Flyer will finally be within reach, at least for one season!

Screamscape rumors indicate that this will only be a temporary attraction, which would be awfully disappointing if so. It would be even more disappointing if they remove Riverview Racer to make way for just a year-long attraction. Oh well, that's just all speculation at this point. Temporary or not, I'm so excited that a Star Flyer will finally be within reach, at least for one season!

The only reason I can see that rumor being true is if Six Flags intends to build a permanent one in the future, and if this is just to see if a Star Flyer and a yo yo can operate in the same park. Six Flags has placed attractions in parks with other similar rides, and if this is just temporary, it might just be to see if a Star Flyer can draw the intended crowds. If it does end up a success, I can see many more opening up at other Six Flags parks. It is a lot easier on the finances to remove a temporary ride at one park than it is to build multiple permanent rides that don't draw anyone in.

Actually, it was confirmed on the park's facebook that the ride is permanent and not going anywhere. It will be placed where the current swings are at (across from Tidal wave). While the ride will be the tallest one at the park, STOP will still seem taller because it is up the hill... I'm very happy with this ride! It's definitely being put in a good location... The area in front of Tidal wave/The Swings is always dead. This will definitely help to bring foot traffic to the area, which could help convince corporate to expand into some of the massive amount of land the park owns east of the park, that you can only easily access from that spot (pretty much accurate outline of park boudaries http://sfstl.net/forums/index.php?topic=1703.msg24537#msg24537)

I can't wait to see this thing in action (especially at night when it is all lit up)...

Actually, the swing ride that operates at the fair is a Sky Flyer, which is a smaller version of the Star Flyer. You can watch a video of one in action by clicking here.

With SFStL getting an honest-to-goodness Star Flyer, it makes me wonder if SFMM will as well to keep up with Knott's.

Eric

I'm surprised they are even allowed to use the name SkyScreamer, because of Marineland's Sky Screamer.

Since Marineland is in Canada I don't think that affects the use of the name. Besides Astroworld's Intamin first generation freefall was called SkyScreamer as well as the skycoaster at the old MGM Grand Adventures in Vegas.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...