TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I am seeing a lot of posts about the Screaming Eagle being tough and rough and not having much airtime, but I strongly disagree. Last time I rode it was at frightfest last year, and I was incredibly impressed. See, it was actually a little scary because my seat belt would not stay tightened and my lap at was several inches from my lap (I'm rather skinny) overall, I gained airtime on nearly every Gil and I thought that it was by far a way better ride than the boss. Being a Voyage fanboy, I felt like the Boss wanted to be something but didn't quite get it. I didn't experience hardly any airtime at all, and I felt like it was built to just beat the crap out of you. So I would gladly welcome an RMC conversion of the boss.

Didn't the park confirm an RMC conversion of Boss will not come to fruition? Did I miss something?

Yes... but... You can never really tell. Last year we all talked about how much Dave didn't want a super loop.

Valid point.

Didn't the park confirm an RMC conversion of Boss will not come to fruition? Did I miss something?

Yes... but... You can never really tell. Last year we all talked about how much Dave didn't want a super loop.

Valid point.

Dave could also be overruled if SFI wants to RMC Eagle, seeing The Boss conversion impossible.

I'm sure Dave doesn't pick out exactly what he would like for the park...

HWHFan has pointed that out many times. But yeah, for sure boss over eagle. Boss over hyper? I kinda think that a new B&M hyper would draw more, being as there is not one of those for a long bit of lang (Does Mamba Count?) Hate to say it but people like bigger, event ho its not always better. And a hyper would def be that.

Every time I have visited the employees were either rude or did not do their jobs, the service was slow, they were not attentive at all, etc.

I'm not sure how this could be any different from any other SF park I've ever been to. Actually, even my experience with CF ride ops/food service within the last year has been garbage. The economy is coming back and the money is there for larger capital investments, so why care about the little things like customer service anymore, eh? From our observations it's easier to count the good experiences with large chain park staff as opposed to keeping track of the bad experiences. Front gate staff is always the best, but it just goes downhill from there.

Maybe it's because I'm familiar with SFSTL's layout, but we found SFoG's layout to be a little odd. If I recall correctly, Superman is just tucked in the back kind of awkwardly. SFoG is an OK park, but it's not the high and mighty you seem to be making it out to be. BTR clones aside, the only memorable rides for me were Goliath and Mind Bender. I actually just had to look at the list to even remember what was there and that was only four years ago. Dare Devil? Meh.

Would I rather have SFOG as my home park over SFSTL? Well they have a B&M hyper... so yeah. However, there's a reason why we haven't even thought about going back. It's just not that memorable.

From my experience the employees at SFStL were much worse than those at SFOG. Every time I have to raise an issue to an employee at SFOG it gets resolved and every time that happened at SFStL the employees (and security) were not in any way interested in doing their jobs, did not know what to do, and just wanted to do anything but fulfill their role. It was actually very concerning. Like I said maybe that is just bad luck since I have only been to the park a handful of times.

SFOG isn't the world's best amusement park but I would put its layout, aesthetics, and coaster line up in terms of quality above pretty much any park in the chain. They do have their issues with poor employees and shady clientele though (although it has drastically improved from years ago when the clientele was scary at times).

Uh... If you are having that many experiences with security or making complaints... did you ever think that the issue could be... you?

SFOG may have your 'personal' favorite line-up, but I think you're high if you really are convinced it's one of the best line-up in the chain. I'll give you 'solid', but anything over that is an over statement. However, with a surrounding population as large as Georgia, 'm par' might be more accurate. Dare Devil gets points for being unique to the U.S., but for me it stops there. I'd even take the version of Mr. Freeze that I don't prefer over that snooze fest. Again... personally... if that sets the standard for all eurofighters, then I see them as junior coasters on steroids.

I am talking about simple security issues like line jumpers. I rarely have any issues at any park, so no the problem is not me. I am just not afraid to say something if something needs to be said, unlike most sheep in our society. I am in no way "high" by saying it's one of the best parks in the chain overall (most people who have been to SFOG seem to agree it's one of the best overall, along with Fiesta Texas which gets even higher regard) and their coaster line-up is often considered to be of quality and consistent. I have nothing to gain by their success so I have no reason to defend them really. I have been to most parks in the chain and I am more than thrilled that I get to go to SFOG and not parks like SFStL or SFA.

I enjoyed SFStL but the park needs a lot of work in most categories/departments, more than most in the chain.

^ In most people's eyes, a new B&M Hyper would be just a newer version of Mamba. And that's not a bad thing at all.

I think if the park does eventually get a B&M hyper (even though Six Flags rarely works with B&M now) it could be small but definitely take advantage of the landscape to add to the drop height and just how tall it appears to be and I'm sure B&M could incorporate elements that would make it stand out from Mamba.

^ In most people's eyes, a new B&M Hyper would be just a newer version of Mamba. And that's not a bad thing at all.

I think if the park does eventually get a B&M hyper (even though Six Flags rarely works with B&M now) it could be small but definitely take advantage of the landscape to add to the drop height and just how tall it appears to be and I'm sure B&M could incorporate elements that would make it stand out from Mamba.

I don't fully understand here. What would make us concerned that a B&M hyper would be anything like Mamba? Mamba is not a B&M or in my opinion, anything like one. I quite like Mamba, but B&M hypers are a different breed entirely.

I don't fully understand here. What would make us concerned that a B&M hyper would be anything like Mamba? Mamba is not a B&M or in my opinion, anything like one. I quite like Mamba, but B&M hypers are a different breed entirely.

I agree, that's what I am saying. I do feel like the twisty aspects B&M could bring to a potential hyper would really differentiate it though. I imagine something like a mini Fury but with half the course focusing on camelback hills.

^I agree but a B&M hyper would still be great. Also, not all of them have those trim brakes going into each hill but I too absolutely despise those!!! They ruin Intimidator at Carowinds. Luckily Goliath at SFOG doesn't have them. Diamondback has one, but I can deal with just one and still think that's one of the best B&M hypers.

^I agree but a B&M hyper would still be great. Also, not all of them have those trim brakes going into each hill but I too absolutely despise those!!! They ruin Intimidator at Carowinds. Luckily Goliath at SFOG doesn't have them. Diamondback has one, but I can deal with just one and still think that's one of the best B&M hypers.

I absolutely LOVE Diamondback. Having never ridden a B&M beforehand, I was going in not expecting much. I was surprised by how lengthy the airtime is on it. It's literally 2-3 seconds of floating over the hill, every hill. I prefer that over .2 seconds of ejector. It's the same case on the trimmed hill, it still provides the same lengthy airtime. If it weren't to be trimmed, I suspect you would get stronger air, but not nearly as long lasting. It should also be noted that it has one of the most comfortable seats & restraints. And the open-air design of the trains has yet to be matched by any other coaster train type.

I've never ridden Intimidator, but based from all the reviews and obvious visual signs of trims everywhere, I don't see it providing to same amount of air Diamondback does. This is all my opinion though.

If it isn't trimmed to death, St. Louis would have a real star coaster for the region if they were to get a B&M Hyper.*

*I was actuall working on a B&M hyper for the park in NL about a year ago.

I absolutely LOVE Diamondback. Having never ridden a B&M beforehand, I was going in not expecting much. I was surprised by how lengthy the airtime is on it. It's literally 2-3 seconds of floating over the hill, every hill. I prefer that over .2 seconds of ejector. It's the same case on the trimmed hill, it still provides the same lengthy airtime. If it weren't to be trimmed, I suspect you would get stronger air, but not nearly as long lasting. It should also be noted that it has one of the most comfortable seats & restraints. And the open-air design of the trains has yet to be matched by any other coaster train type.

I've never ridden Intimidator, but based from all the reviews and obvious visual signs of trims everywhere, I don't see it providing to same amount of air Diamondback does. This is all my opinion though.

If it isn't trimmed to death, St. Louis would have a real star coaster for the region if they were to get a B&M Hyper.*

*I was actuall working on a B&M hyper for the park in NL about a year ago.

Intimidator has trims on more hills than it doesn't and the midcourse brake run might as well be the end of the ride. It really really drags. The first drop in the back is one of B&Ms best though. Goliath at SFOG seems to have found a good airtime balance, it is a bit stronger than the other B&M hypers and the bunny hills at the end have some light ejector as well, so there is a good mix of airtime types, and no trims going into the crest of a hill.

Now I wish I could marathon Diamondback and Goliath right now!

As a long time employee at the park for well over a decade now, and knowing the ins and outs about not only SFSTL, but many of the other parks as well, I can tell you this. As much of a B&M HYPER fan as I am, they are my favorite type of coaster, the odds of SFSTL getting one are so miniscule!! When Goliath opened at SFoG in 2006, many may not know this, but that was originally planned for SFSTL. After the plans had been made and it was almost a guarantee for SFTSL, last minute, the "genius" SF Corporate team of the early 2000's decided to give it to SFoG instead. I'm not saying a large coaster will never happen at SFSTL, all Im saying is probably not within the next 5 years, and probably not a B&M HYPER

Also, for those who keep saying and thinking the park will expand east... IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! I'm not saying they will not ever have a ride course go out that way, but I can tell you, you will NEVER see the park itself expanded east. Just to level land, put in utilities... electric, gas, optic, cable, water, sewer, and more... put in paths buildings, landscaping, lighting, and maybe even a little theming, that cost would be over $10 million... AND THATS WITHOUT RIDES!... If they wont spend any money on a good coaster, what makes you think they will spend twice as much just for a new section without rides? Trust me, I would love to see it happen just as much as anyone else, it just won't though. This conversation has been talked about many times with the higher ups and as much as they may beat around the bush about what they do and do not know, they will tell you straight forward it will never happen. Another reason this will not happen is because of what that land to the east may be worth. The land isn't technically "for sale", but trust me, if the right price is thrown their way, SF would sell the land to the east in the snap of a finger... and if you expanded the park in to the junk/ grave yard and south and the rest of the land was sold, they would have no extra land for storage, junk/ graveyard, Fright Fest or anything else they may need spare land for.

IRON BOSS, sounds amazing to me, but I think if it were to happen, it would have by now. Not to say we couldnt be surprised in the next few years, but I highly doubt it. If they were to RMC Screamin Eagle, I WOULD QUIT WORKING AT SFSTL IMMEDIATELY! FIrst off, the Eagle doesnt have that great of a layout to convert, but it is just too great of a classic to mess with. Truthfully, Eagle is my favorite at the park. The airtime isn;t what it used to be, but the old girl still has some kick left to her. As I told management a few months back, Bald Eagles are protected, so should Screamin' Eagle

The park has definitely improved over the years and still has a long way to go. They are definitely moving in the right direction with our park, its just going slower than most thought. Even though I work for SFTSL and love my park, I can't help but to side with almost everything Prozach626 says... I know that seems contradictory and wrong, but he's right in many ways... you will rarely hear me say it though due to being an employee.

Anyway, I'm not saying you have to believe anything Ive said, I'm just hoping some of these things might sink in to a few people's minds so they won't be completely disappointed in a few years down the road when not much has happened.

When Goliath opened at SFoG in 2006, many may not know this, but that was originally planned for SFSTL. After the plans had been made and it was almost a guarantee for SFTSL, last minute, the "genius" SF Corporate team of the early 2000's decided to give it to SFoG instead. I'm not saying a large coaster will never happen at SFSTL, all Im saying is probably not within the next 5 years, and probably not a B&M HYPER

Wasn't there a similar story going around about Raging Bull being destined for St. Louis originally (with Freeze going to Gurnee) as well? With Goliath, especially considering how the course follows that narrow strip of land along the road after it hops the park's borders, I would have thought it was designed specifically for Georgia.

When Goliath opened at SFoG in 2006, many may not know this, but that was originally planned for SFSTL. After the plans had been made and it was almost a guarantee for SFTSL, last minute, the "genius" SF Corporate team of the early 2000's decided to give it to SFoG instead. I'm not saying a large coaster will never happen at SFSTL, all Im saying is probably not within the next 5 years, and probably not a B&M HYPER

Wasn't there a similar story going around about Raging Bull being destined for St. Louis originally (with Freeze going to Gurnee) as well? With Goliath, especially considering how the course follows that narrow strip of land along the road after it hops the park's borders, I would have thought it was designed specifically for Georgia.

Not specifically that exact layout, just a hyper in general... actually, the one they had planned wasn't much different than what Goliath ended up being in Georgia. The station and que house were supposed to be where American Thunder is, with the lift hill going west, the first drop along the north side of the entrance road, then the first air time hill over the entrance/ toll road with the majority of the layout out in the 3 pond area, then make its way back over the entrance/ toll road to the station house.

Intimidator has trims on more hills than it doesn't and the midcourse brake run might as well be the end of the ride.

Gd Damnit Georgia... you're starting to irritate me. I've been on intimidator, and although it was no D-back, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Out of memory and the two videos I just watched it has trims on.... 2.... 2!!!.... hills.

Also, don't tell me about being a freaking sheep. I'm the definition by personality and career of a non sheep. I know the difference between a sheep and a wolf. I know the difference between a sheep and a sheep dog. Sometimes it's better to just let assholes be assholes and not escalate a situation over a line jumper or someone smoking in a non smoking area... "That person used profanity so I must call security!!" If security is looking at you with an irritated look... it's probably you. If I can go 30 years of my park visiting with only one encounter with security (as a witness to a legitimate assault), then you sure as hell can. Ever heard of a tattletale?

As far as "Most people find SFoG to be the most quality lineup." Show me the stats. I say it has a quality selection medocre attractions. Goliath ranks solidly in my non existant geek top ten list somewhere between "I'd ride it a lot if it were at my home park" and "I could really give a crap about the ride in relation to the offerings that other parks have."

Funny... I've driven by Georgia about 5 times since I've been to the park and it hasn't even crossed my mind to stop in. Saying your park is a super star in the SF chain is like saying that your kid is the smartest kid in the class that doesn't have any Honor Roll kids in it.

For the record, we'll all gladly take a hyper, even if it's trimmed more than Intimidator, which according to you has a trim every 200 feet.

Intimidator has trims on more hills than it doesn't and the midcourse brake run might as well be the end of the ride.

Gd Damnit Georgia... you're starting to irritate me. I've been on intimidator, and although it was no D-back, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Out of memory and the two videos I just watched it has trims on.... 2.... 2!!!.... hills.

Also, don't tell me about being a freaking sheep. I'm the definition by personality and career of a non sheep. I know the difference between a sheep and a wolf. I know the difference between a sheep and a sheep dog. Sometimes it's better to just let assholes be assholes and not escalate a situation over a line jumper or someone smoking in a non smoking area... "That person used profanity so I must call security!!" If security is looking at you with an irritated look... it's probably you. If I can go 30 years of my park visiting with only one encounter with security (as a witness to a legitimate assault), then you sure as hell can. Ever heard of a tattletale?

As far as "Most people find SFoG to be the most quality lineup." Show me the stats. I say it has a quality selection medocre attractions. Goliath ranks solidly in my non existant geek top ten list somewhere between "I'd ride it a lot if it were at my home park" and "I could really give a crap about the ride in relation to the offerings that other parks have."

Funny... I've driven by Georgia about 5 times since I've been to the park and it hasn't even crossed my mind to stop in. Saying your park is a super star in the SF chain is like saying that your kid is the smartest kid in the class that doesn't have any Honor Roll kids in it.

For the record, we'll all gladly take a hyper, even if it's trimmed more than Intimidator, which according to you has a trim every 200 feet.

You don't have to get angry or exaggerate. I am just sharing my opinion. I never said Intimidator is a bad coaster. All B&M hypers are still great coasters and I agree, I would love to see any hyper at SFStL (although it is unlikely they will get one). Even an exact replica of Intimidator would be great and look amazing along their parking lot.

I have rarely ever called security, but I will call someone out if they are line jumping. I have no tolerance for a group of people pushing past everyone or climbing over queue rails and if everyone else would take a stand over that, there wouldn't be line jumping.

Anyways, I stand by my opinion that SFOG and SFFT are considerably more attractive and better overall experience parks than most other Six Flags parks and that almost every coaster at SFOG is the superior version of similar coasters at St. Louis. American Thunder is great though and I wish we had that as well as Mr. Freeze!

I also find your comment "I've driven by Georgia about 5 times since I've been to the park and it hasn't even crossed my mind to stop in" to be hard to believe, unless you have some particular beef with the park. What enthusiast wouldn't be interested in going on coasters?

Still haven't heard anything back from the park. Can't wait to get a response.

Has anyone gotten any response from this past weekend? I sent them an email Monday night and haven't heard squat.