TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

So I guess I'll say it. If they ended up needing steel supports anyway, why didn't they just tear it completely down and build a steel coaster? They could have designed the layout the same way with steel supports. Now it's just starting to look silly, cheap, and almost even like a hack job. I'm sure the ride will still be fun, no matter how ridiculous steel supports holding up wooden supports holding up steel track looks.

I'm assuming they saved a good deal of money by keeping the original structure and adding a few steel supports as opposed to tearing the whole thing down and building from the ground up.

^Somehow I knew someone was going to mention ledgers on a traditional woodie. Spare me. There's a huge difference in a steel crossbeam as part of the structure, and large steel column supports being added post-test runs to hold up the structure because it wasn't sound enough.

Like I said before, it's steel supports holding wooden supports holding steel track. Might as well have gone with all steel.

^Somehow I knew someone was going to mention ledgers on a traditional woodie. Spare me. There's a huge difference in a steel crossbeam as part of the structure, and large steel column supports being added post-test runs to hold up the structure because it wasn't sound enough.

How do you know they were added because the structure wasn't sound enough? I would have guessed that they were planning to add them in the first place but weren't needed during test runs because it was an empty train.

^I might believe that if anyone can come up with a previous project that involved testing trains before the planned ride structure was finished. I realize that supports get added/modified all the time (Xcelerator, WT, MF come to mind immediately), but why would they test the trains before the structure was finished? Basically, that would mean that they knew the structure wasn't sound and sent the trains anyway. Seems a bit reckless to me.

As I said before, the ride is presumably still going to be good, and it really doesn't matter what's holding the ride up in the long run. Still doesn't make it look any less cheap or bush league. The back yard roller coaster works and stands on its own, but that doesn't make it impressive.

Basically, that would mean that they knew the structure wasn't sound and sent the trains anyway. Seems a bit reckless to me.

*insert sarcasm*

Oh yeh man....that's EXACTLY what they did!!!

*end sarcasm*

The only way for them to know what works as planned and what doesn't is to do the test runs....that's why they're called test runs. If something isn't going according to plan, *poof* MODIFICATIONS!!! Doesn't matter what it looks like, just ride the damn coaster when it opens and be happy!!! It's not like people are going to be coming off the riding saying "you know..i really liked the layout and first drop, but those steel support beams on the side of that overbanked turn were SUCH a turn off and totally ruined my ride experience."

Anyways...nothing personal against anyone here but just a little tired of the "I know more than the designers" attitudes.

^That's all well and good, BUT, I still said the ride would probably be good. And I still think it looks cheap and hilarious. And seriously, if they thought there was any chance of structural failure (even 0.1%), do you really think they would have risked sending a train through it? I know there's been a definite "wait and see" aspect with a lot of this ride, but I would be completely and utterly stunned if that were the case. Do bridge builders send traffic over a bridge before its structure is done? Hell, maybe it was all part of their grandiose plan for the ride. Maybe they wanted to see if it would fall over, thereby wasting over a year of work. Maybe Intamin should launch a train through Cheetah Hunt before all the supports are up, see if the track can hold itself up. Why not? They're only test runs!

The silver lining is they figured out the problem before putting any people on it. Still looks cheap and hilarious, in a point and laugh at how dumb it looks kind of way. It'll be a few years before I can get out to Arlington to ride Frankencoaster, hopefully it's still standing by then.

^ Knew this was coming . Steve - I think people that haven't chatted with you as much here (or in person for that matter) don't get your sense of humor. I totally get what you are saying and kind of agree. I don't think it looks cheap as much as it looks WTF? I'm still totally psyched to ride it. Perhaps they left the wooden structure up primarily for the visual aspect of the ride. There is a tremendous difference between flying around and between a few steel support poles, and flying and swooping through all of the lumber.

Not really sure - just throwing it out there.

David

^^The steel supports were added before they started testing. If you look at pictures from when they tested the ride with two cars, the steel supports were already there. I just joined so I can't post links but go look at the pictures on SFOT's facebook and you'll see they've been there for awhile.

According to their Facebook, they just replaced the old tension wires on that turn with the new steel beams. I guess that makes sense. It looks tacky as all get-out, but it makes sense why they'd do it.

I'm on Steve's boat. I think this thing looks amazing and I'm dying to ride it, but between the old wood / new wood and now the added steel supports, it just looks so cheap for something that cost as much money as a brand-new ride.

They saved the name, they saved some money...and this will probably lead to one of the most awesome Ride Experiences the World has EVER seen. Even if they will begin to stabilize the steel supports with a wooden structure...whatever...me, personally, I just have too much Respect to criticise anything about it before I rode it.

A Ride Experience can be soooo good so that the looks of it are absolutely irrelevant...And IMHO this is or let*s say could be the case here !

Cheers...GeorgeT

^^The steel supports were added before they started testing. If you look at pictures from when they tested the ride with two cars, the steel supports were already there. I just joined so I can't post links but go look at the pictures on SFOT's facebook and you'll see they've been there for awhile.

Well if that's the case then yes, everything I said before now is thrown out. I'm glad that it was already built like that, so at least we know this wasn't an "oh crap, it's not strong enough so let's throw up some steel columns" situation. However, it still looks silly.