TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

I wrote a long response but meh it is not really worth carrying this on. I will just say that I do not think I have been being disrespectful here, although some of the responses I have received are definitely quite disrespectful.

NEWS: Universal Orlando announces 'Hollywood Drive-In Golf'

36-hole mini golf experience coming to CityWalk in 2012

http://media.universalorlando.com/newsreleases/detail.aspx?id=338

Universal Orlando Resort today announced plans to premier an all-new, 36-hole miniature golf experience – Hollywood Drive-In Golf – at CityWalk by early 2012. The experience is being designed by Universal’s creative team to do for miniature golf what a blockbuster theme park attraction does for a movie: bring it alive in an entirely new way. The two state-of-the art 18-hole courses will be unlike any other mini golf experience.

Inspired by the classic drive-in movie era, guests will be whisked into an elaborately-themed environment based on the vintage horror flicks and “little green men” science fiction films of the 1950s. As they experience two family friendly courses, “The Haunting of Ghostly Greens” and “Invaders From Planet Putt,” guests will putt their way through elaborate movie-style scenes, passing through a cemetery, under a giant spider, through a flying saucer and into the basement lab in a haunted house. Cutting-edge interactive elements and special effects will immerse guests further into the “double feature,” and with LED course edge-lighting they can play day, night and late night.

The new experience is being developed to complement Universal CityWalk’s role as an entertainment hub with something for everyone.

“We created Hollywood Drive-In to be fun and different and something everyone can enjoy,” said Ric Florell, senior vice president and general manager of resort revenue operations. “We used creative theming and state-of-the-art technology to take the experience to the next level. It’s perfect for Universal CityWalk – whether you are playing at 11am or 11pm.”

Situated just below the first level of CityWalk and next to the AMC Cineplex, guests will see the miniature golf courses as they are entering CityWalk from the parking garages. Construction on Hollywood Drive-In Golf is scheduled to begin this summer and the venue will open by early 2012.

Edited by Moose

“It’s perfect for Universal CityWalk – whether you are playing at 11am (sober, and surrounded by families) or 11pm (Drunk off your arse with a group of friends).”

I think this is what the press release meant to say. Color me skeptical on this one. I love the idea, but I can see ways where it could go terribly wrong too.

Just saw the trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.... and man oh man is that Gingotts Cart scene BEGGING to be turned into a ride! It would be perfect!

YES, the queue should be the entrance hall of the bank, than you get into a cart up a lifthill that takes you into the dark (indoors). Then after a long first drop, there should be lots of twists and turns and craziness in pitch blackness before the lights come on and you hit the brakes. Then there should be projection screens and on-board audio to follow the plotline of taking the Horcrux, then when the dragon comes, there should be a launch out of the building into an outdoor, airtime-filled finale. Or something along those lines. Great idea SCC!

^ Yes I was sure they would but it still seems a little small from say the path to the back of PF and not very wide. I looked at an aerial photo and the show building didn't look that big. They will make it work but it seems like only enough room for smallish coaster.

This sounds AWESOME!!!

Very cool.

Pretty sure we have a certain Orlando Local who is very excited right now!

I agree with everything you just said.

Prepare for construction updates!

Last time I visited IOA(2009) WWOHP wasn't there yet and I really CAN'T wait to go back to visit WWOHP. As an international visitor I have to say that Harry Potter franchise drag a lot more crowds, than The Lost Continent I know it might suounds obvious but Florida's theme parks recieve a great amount of people from all over the world mostly I guess Central and South America. I'm from Colombia an 3 mains cities here all with populations of over 2 million, have one or more daily flights to Miami, not metionning they are expadind their routes directly to Orlando, Miami and Orlando are the main international destitation promoted here and the closest in teh US being just 3 hours away avervage, and in order for Universal to compete with Disney World I think Harry Potter is a great addition being a succesfull franchise all over the world.

^^^ I call joining in on the opening day for it! Haha, take that Bryan and Adam .

Seriously though, I think this might actually work out. I've always thought a mini golf course would have worked great at Downtown Disney, so this should be close to what I was imagining. Here's hoping for the best, and cheap price options...

With the amount of mini-golf all over I-Drive and other places in Orlando, not to mention that it must do good enough business for Disney to have TWO venues, I'm surprised it took Universal this long!

I'm actually looking forward to this more than I am the next expansion in Potterland.

I Can't wait to try these courses out! Out of all these years staying at Universal I never felt like there was much for my me and my friends to do late at night at Citywalk. I mean yeah there are a lot of dance clubs, but we're not into that, and it would be weird for 3 dudes and 1 girl to go clubbing. Anyway, It's great that Universal is adding something for everyone to enjoy that doesn't' close too early.