TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best theme park in the world for rollercoasters?

Hey , so I was thinking of maybe making a trip based all around rollercoasters and while thinking of this , this question came to my mind. I searched online and the results were mixed . Some say Cedar point park and other say and other say Fuji q highland . I wanna know what you guys think.

This is actually an interesting thought.  Let's take a few things out of the equation.  Looking strictly at the Roller Coasters ONLY.

NOT: Operations, weather, crowds, price, other rides, atmosphere, food, etc. 

I would say these five in no particular order: Cedar Point, SFMM, Busch Gardens Tampa, Hersheypark, Nagashima Spaland

I chose these for a well rounded lineup of stuff that I at least personally like as well as quantity.  For less well rounded and less quantity I would probably throw in Holiday Park, Knoebels, and Sea World Orlando.

• Like 3

^ I'd throw SFFT in that mix, simply for the variety offered:

Mine Train (custom too)
Spinner
S&S Free-Spin (the 1st one ever built)
RMC Raptor (the 1st one ever built)
RMC (the 2nd conversion)
LIM Launch
Floorless B&M
Suspended B&M
. . and a Boomerang :)

14 minutes ago, bert425 said:

^ I'd throw SFFT in that mix, simply for the variety offered:

Mine Train (custom too)
Spinner
S&S Free-Spin (the 1st one ever built)
RMC Raptor (the 1st one ever built)
RMC (the 2nd conversion)
LIM Launch
Floorless B&M
Suspended B&M
. . and a Boomerang :)

I *HATE* that RMC there.  It offends me!  Seriously, I realize it's fine or whatever, but I just feel like it's the worst of all of them and it had sooooo much potential. LOL!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SharkTums said:

I *HATE* that RMC there.  It offends me!  Seriously, I realize it's fine or whatever, but I just feel like it's the worst of all of them and it had sooooo much potential. LOL!

oh,  I agree. . should have been much better!

:)

• Like 1

I can only speak for North America, but if we're just talking about coasters and nothing else I feel like (in no particular order) the parks that come to mind are

- Busch Gardens Tampa (with a crazy RMC on the way)

- Six Flags Great Adventure (with a crazy RMC on the way)

- Cedar Point

I guess I have to mention Magic Mountain too but I absolutely prefer Great Adventure's ride lineup to theirs and that's even without Jersey Devil (which looks ridiculous). I feel like I could see people going either way on that depending on their feelings on some of the more polarizing major coasters at each park (X2 / Kingda Ka / Riddler's Revenge / etc.).

52 minutes ago, KIEnthusiast said:

Probably King's Island. Don't hate, just IMO. 

I think this is worth mentioning for a few reasons. It has a really solid lineup, and with FL+ at this park you can get on more coasters than any other park I've been to, excluding special events. Considering we're talking about going to a park specifically to ride roller coasters, I think that's relevant. Also, if you're planning a trip and going to Cedar Point, Kings Island is close enough that you don't necessarily need to lose a day to travel.

My two cents, in the last 3 years some of my best days have been at Kings Island. Other favorite USA parks that I've been to (only looking at coasters) have already been mentioned - Cedar Point, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Six Flags Great Adventure. Unfortunately I've never been to Tampa.

2 hours ago, Nrthwnd said:

How about Europa Park, over in Germany? There's a park with a good selection of great coasters, AND great theming AND great hotels!

Europa is one of the best resorts in the world, right behind Tokyo Disney IMO, but it isn't the best for coasters.  The lineup is solid but not outstanding.  Plus they have Silverstar which, well, I'd rather not get into.  Literally.  I don't bother to ride it because it sucks.

8 hours ago, kerlimeke75 said:

Hey , so I was thinking of maybe making a trip based all around rollercoasters and while thinking of this , this question came to my mind. I searched online and the results were mixed . Some say Cedar point park and other say and other say Fuji q highland . I wanna know what you guys think.

How long of a trip do you have in mind? If it's to just one park, then many of the suggestions in this thread will do. If you're staying in the US and want to do several parks over multiple days within a reasonable drive from each other I would consider these:

1. Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Kennywood

2. Six Flags Great Adventure, Hersheypark, and Kings Dominion

3. Busch Gardens Tampa, Sea World Orlando, and Islands of Adventure (once VelociCoaster is open next year)

• Like 1

These are common answers, but I'll go Cedar Point, SFGAdv, Busch Gardens Tampa, and Hersheypark. All four of those parks have multiple coasters that I consider best-of-the-best, and very good supporting lineups.

Honorable mentions to SFMM and BGW, both of which have several really good coasters, but none that I think are truly top-tier.

In Europe, have to mention Walibi Holland. A top-heavy coaster lineup, but that Top 3 is outstanding.

Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, SFGAdv, BGT, SFMM, Fuji-Q, and Liseberg.

Mirabilandia just needs one more solid coaster (They already have iSpeed & Katun. Just need one more non-crappy coaster), and then that'd definitely be one of the best collections ever.

Out of the ones I've been to, I´d say Cedar Point, Hershey Park and SFGAdv (the latter has added quite a few rides since I went there, so even better). I also quite liked the lineup of Busch Gardens Williamsburg and I imagine SF Magic Mountain is pretty good to (although I haven't been there).

Out of the ones I've to in Europe (which typically have fewer coaster per park), I'll say Portaventura (if you include Ferrari Land) because you get an awesome old-shcool  B&M, the tallest B&M hyper out there, a great (although this is a matter of taste) intamin accelerator coaster and an intamin giga which is basically a slightly smaller KK or TTD.

I'll give an honourable mention to Energylandia (yes, I know a lot won't agree here) because they do have a lot of potential (looking only at coasters). When I went there last year they had a great (not the best ever but great) intamin hyper and an awesome RMC which became my personal favourite coaster. They also have the tallest water coaster in the world (I believe), a solid fun Vekoma launch coaster and now they'll have (is it open?) what looks like a great multi-launch coaster. Plus 2000 kiddie coasters 🤣

If the question is purely academic, Europe and Japan are possible contenders. But if you're looking at making a trip in real life, certainly you will be able to do more here in the USA if that's what you're coming from (If you want to leave the whole US for later, obviously go somewhere else).

Fuji-Q has some of the most unique coasters, but a short list. Cedar Point has a wonderfully rich and large collection, and more truly great. It also has the crowds to match. Or, Holiday World has more great wood coasters than probably anywhere else. So many parks offer unique experiences. Right now I want to ride Intimidator 305 and TTimbers more than anything else.

This is probably a dark horse but for a well rounded all around collection I feel like Dollywood and Silver Dollar city might be in the mix, especially if you're talking roller coaster collection at a "theme park". 

Dollywood with Lightning Rod, Wild Eagle, Thunderhead, Mystery Mine, Tennessee Tornado, Dragonflyer and Fire Chaser is a really solid, albeit smaller lineup, with something for everyone.

Silver Dollar City kind of the same thing with Outlaw Run, Wildfire, Powder keg, Thunderation, and now Time Traveler. That lineup is well rounded and time traveler is so unique. 

• 2 months later...

Nagashima Spaland is way, way up there too.

not only for Hakugei and Steel Dragon 2000. . . but it's also a "greatest hits" from many North American parks (Manta clone, S&S Freespin, Mine Train). .it has TWO Schwarzkopf looping coasters. . . 

I loved this park.

• Like 1

In the USA, I'd say.... SF Magic Mountain, Cedar Point, SF Great Adventure are going to be your top 3 heavy hitters.  Very low on wood coasters is the only thing (though you do get El Toro, which is one of the very best)..

However: if you wanted to do one trip with multiple parks, there are a few double / triple headers that will give you a lot of bang for your buck...

• King's Island / Cedar Point / Kennywood (fly into Cincinnati, fly home from Pittsburgh)
  • Holiday World / Kentucky Kingdom / King's Island  (fly into Louisville, fly home from Cincinnati)
  • Dorney Park, / Knobels / Hersheypark (fly into/out of Philly)
  • SF Great Adventure / Hersheypark  (fly into/out of Philly)
  • SF Magic Mountain / Knott's Berry Farm (take your pick of airports, honestly)
  • Universal Orlando / Sea World / Busch Gardens Tampa (technically a quad)

On 11/5/2020 at 1:38 AM, kerlimeke75 said:

Hey , so I was thinking of maybe making a trip based all around rollercoasters and while thinking of this , this question came to my mind. I searched online and the results were mixed . Some say Cedar point park and other say and other say Fuji q highland . I wanna know what you guys think. happy wheels

Cedar Point probably has the best combination of quality and quantity of coasters in the world, followed by Magic Mountain (depending on who you ask). Fuji-Q has some coasters that are arguably better than at those two, but doesn't have anywhere near the same volume.

^ true (and of the 4 "top" coasters, one is a 1-trick pony (it's about the speed) and one has a terrible 2nd half (Fujiyama 2nd half WILL adjust your spine). . but they also have a handful of Decent coasters (even if the mouse is now closed).

factor in the flats tho, and I'd say it's a must visit park (even tho I'm certain that we just happened to catch it on the perfect day with great weather, no crowds, and a stunning unobstructed view of Mt. Fuji in the morning hours).

about those flats?   an EXCELLENT air racer (tall and you can get tons of flips), a haunted hospital, one of the better river raft rides I've been in (themed to Lucky Cats, and it will soak you), themed sections to anime, and . . . Tondemina - a Frisbee themed to Pizza.    No, really!