TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

In line for Grizzly at CGA: This girl was talking about how at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk they have a "fake" Drop Tower, referring to Double Shot. She then continued to say that it flew off the top twirled around and killed a bunch of people. When I heard that I couldn't even believe what I had just heard.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I was thinking we were doing good yesterday as far as not seeing any GP antics, sure enough one happens on a ride I'm actually on. We were just finishing up on the Bayern Kurve (Berserker) when the ride op said to remain seated as we need to back around (it overshot/wouldn't line up or something) as this kid was not refastening his belt, sitting sideways, and finally when he sat straight and what looked like he was going to sit still we were getting ready to go do the 1 last loop so we can get off...sure enough, just seconds before getting ready to do the last revolution, he proceeds to stand up. Good thing for the ride op's quick reflexes and not getting 'button happy' as this kid would have probably smacked into the barn structure.

And after we get off, he meets up with what is maybe an older (still young) sibling and hop the fence rather than exit properly, walking in the grassy space between Berserker and Demon...then they hop the next rails to get on Demon.

Honestly, I was getting ready to shout across to tell him to sit down and put his seatbelt on (in probably not as nice words). I was doing hand motions of fastening seatbelts as there seemed to be some form of spoken communication barrier.

That is awful! Honestly, I think you should have reported the kid for doing this as this is disobeying rules set by the park and the government and also could have ended up way worse then it did.

I could have and probably should have, being the coaster enthusiast. I'm honestly surprised the ride operator didn't physically come out of his booth afterwards to get after the kid...better yet, I'm surprised this kid was not even with his parents. Honestly, this kid was far too young to be wandering around with a 12-year-old kid, I feel that a 'responsible' parent/guardian/chaperone should be at least 18 or older.

From ki facebook

I'm a little dissappointed was at the park Aug 25 the first time in 3 years and found out you've closed the SOB.I think you should try to fix whatever is wrong with it.It was my fav ride there.Bad enough the loop was taken out but I coulda dealt with that.

Dear god.

Well, you (whoever you are(not deathfearsnone)) should really be happy. They're taking out a bland, painful ride and they could put in a new ride that could have twists and loopy loos! Or they can put in a cookie cutter B&M, but still..

At SFDK yesterday:

Dude 1: Look at X2!

Dude 2: V2, man.

Dude 1: Whatever!

Dude 2: X2 is way better

Dude 1: No man! They're way different!

Dude 2: Well they both like to break down a lot!

It may have actually been 3 guys having this conversation but I just thought it was really funny.

I could have and probably should have, being the coaster enthusiast. I'm honestly surprised the ride operator didn't physically come out of his booth afterwards to get after the kid...better yet, I'm surprised this kid was not even with his parents. Honestly, this kid was far too young to be wandering around with a 12-year-old kid, I feel that a 'responsible' parent/guardian/chaperone should be at least 18 or older.

I often go to a theme park with friends my age and no parents supervising (my Mum doesn't want to pay $80 to sit at a park all day and not ride anything), and we're fine. Then again, we're not idiots like those kids in your story. That really is insane, the part that gets me is the fence jumping though more than anything.

Maybe this was talked about on here before, but I don't want to read 300+ pages to find out. At my home park, Lagoon, their are so many people saying this exact thing. "I'm not going on Wild Mouse. People have died on that thing," or, "Did you know that my sister's friend's mother's aunt died on the older version of Wild Mouse?"

Their are so many people who believe the old story that people died on Wild Mouse. I have heard claims from people who saw the car break off the track on the curves. One even said they have old news clippings of when the deaths were reported. I asked to show them to me, but he hasn't came up with them yet.

The Six Flags company page posted the below photo with the caption: "What’s a coaster without a little pandemonium along the way? Do you grab on tighter or do you let the hands fly overhead?"

*Facepalm*

When somebody asked the name of this ride, Six Flags replied by saying "This is Pandemonium at Six Flags New England". Nobody even noticed that the pictured coaster is clearly not located at any Six Flags park.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I overheard a Magic Mountain employee explaining to the guests that Full Throttle is NOT a rollercoaster. It happened at sky tower, and when one of the guests pointed to the construction site and asked about it, she said "Yeah, it's that new full throttle thing. They're advertising it as a rollercoaster, but it's not. It's going to be one of those giant loop rides."

Some good stuff happened this past weekend...not as much as I expected but still some little gems.

Flagg o' Dim, Rjvader and I are in line for CGA's Woodstock Express (Intamin kiddy/family coaster) when this 10-year-old kid looks up at us all bug-eyed and spots my TPR shirt... After hearing us talk nonsense, the kid asks "Ooh! Are you guys really from Theme Park Review?" Again, would I wear a TPR shirt if I wasn't a TPR member?

It gets better...we're leaving the observation tower later in the day where there's 8 of us, 4 rocking out our TPR shirts...kids heading into line (the same ones I saw at Woodstock's) get excited again: "Hey, there's the Theme Park Review guys again!" Almost made us feel like celebrities or something.

And a line cutter fail story. We are in line for Psycho Mouse as it had just reopened after a 20+minute downtime. As we're going through the queue, some girl hops the rails to skip past the 8 of us, which would have made us wait another whole train. She must have had intentions of getting her group up there with her as we all just gave this stare...she ultimately just left the queue completely. +10 exp for us!

End it with a funny reaction of me 'seat stealer' story. We are all putting our 'potatoes' (CGA ride op lingo for our loose articles) in the cubbies over at Demon while the air gates are still open. After putting my backpack in the bin, I come back to find some GP ready to climb into the train...suddenly, out of nowhere, you hear me saying "No, no, no, no, no! Not going to happen!" Suddenly they jump back behind the gate with an 'oops!' face. We then told them that all of these empty seats are taken, will have to wait for next train or grab the empty row up front. Just the way I sounded was pretty funny (perhaps a little over-reaction but still pretty funny).

I picked up a shift at Riptide on Monday and apparently a season pass holder recognized me. As soon as I went to the turnstile to group she yelled me "Hey! You're ot supposed to be here! You're supposed to be at Silver Bullet!" I thought to myself....bit disturbing whe guests start to remember you

Well, I just heard one on my schools news show. It was something like this

"Riders at a california amusement park were stuck 300' feet in the air on "Thrillseeker", to make things worst the park charged the guest more for extra ride time."

It was a comedy segment so that last half is clearly a joke, but THRILLSEEKER really. How can you mess that up when we live 15 minutes away from a WINDSEEKER at Kings Dominion.

When I was working at SFoT last week a guest came up to me and said "DAMMNNNNNNNN YOU GOT A BIGGG ASSSS"

Just like that too...... I was like "uhhhhh thanks?" Then my supervisor showed up beside me and the girl said to her "DAMN YOU SEE HIS ASS? IT'S BIG AINT IT??"

My supervisor just busted out laughing! Then I looked at her with a WTF face and she said to me "That girl was a strange one" I said "Ya think?"

Strangest thing any guest ever told me...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to change things up and quote somethings I said when I was "GP". For the record, I used to be one of those people who thought they knew everything about rides, but knew next to nothing. So I wouldn't be surprised if I ever ended up on this thread.

I used to think that Renegade at VF was built in only two weeks in the middle of a snow storm.

I used to stand up to hate for rides that I've never been on. As in "What do you mean you don't think Kingda Ka is the best thing ever created?!! "

I thought that S&S towers didn't use cables and the car moved up and down completely by air.(That was thanks to RCT.)

The list could go on, but those are just some of my golden moments.

Last night when in line for CGA's Slaughter House maze, the queue takes you up close to Gold Striker's construction, an unobstructed ground level view. Naturally, JeffyJosephNorcal and I whip out or DSLR cameras and begin snapping away like paparazzi. Some kids behind us suddenly ask "Why are you guys getting so many pictures of that?" (We were adjusting the settings on the camera to get the right exposure and whatnot, I only shoot in manual mode)

We then tell the kids that we're part of a roller coaster fan site and we've been posting updates on the new coaster's construction. Like any good coaster enthusiast, I then whip out my phone and show them renderings of Gold Striker. They quickly got bored of me showing them the different renderings that shows the layout.

Initially when I showed them the rendering showing the first drop, their reaction was "Woah, where's that coaster at?" I then tell them that they're looking at it and explained that the first drop will wrap the star tower (points that directon). They didn't quite understand. Finally, we were next in line for our 10-person group to enter the maze.

Overheard at School, "Dare Devil Dive is the steepest coaster in the world" I then bring out the convenient close by Guineas World Record book, and flip to the page, then "No, that book is wrong" ROLLS EYES, then I explain that DDD is NOT the steepest coaster in the world, and then this "No, your wrong, my Mom said it's the steepest" I then explain to him that I joined a Theme Park Website, I would probably know, he then calls me a Nerd, I bang my head onto the book and leave.

Some kid was explaining to me how Lethal Weapon (SLC) is the best coaster in the world while having a conversation about local parks.

I bit my tongue and decided to ignore his comment and change the subject.

Given how much Lethal Weapon used to knock you around maybe he had a case of Stockholm syndrome.

Overheard at School, "Dare Devil Dive is the steepest coaster in the world" I then bring out the convenient close by Guineas World Record book, and flip to the page, then "No, that book is wrong" ROLLS EYES, then I explain that DDD is NOT the steepest coaster in the world, and then this "No, your wrong, my Mom said it's the steepest" I then explain to him that I joined a Theme Park Website, I would probably know, he then calls me a Nerd, I bang my head onto the book and leave.

I've heard from a random person once at school who thought that DDD was unsafe because it was made by K'nex

Overheard a family that had loads of interesting discussions going while queuing for Balder yesterday.

Two of the highlights were that:

The daughter asked the son if it was OK to bring her mobile phone on the ride, since she had heard that the G-Spot caused things to fall out of pockets...

She quickly corrected her statement, but the "damage" was already done

Later on her mother asked why they rode it again, since they already had ridden it before.

At that point I was trying hard not to laugh out loud, but that last one is a typical GP though I guess.