TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is the best floorless?

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dominator in the back row is great, I love Batman the Dark Knight's zero g roll and I'm a big fan of Kraken but believe it or not I'm going with Rougarou.

The very last row on the left side is incredible. I couldn't find a bad seat on Dominator to be honest. The front had a slight rattle but it was nothing compared to Train 1 on Hydra in the front. The hangtime on the first drop on the right hand side in the front row was a true "wow" factor the first time I rode it.

I guess now that the season is over I can tell this story. Basically the first time I went to KD we got there about an hour before opening, and because my buddy and I worked at Dorney at the time, we had employee ID's with us, we managed to clear security in to the employee parking lot and managed to again clear security at the employee gate. We were in the park 45 minutes early, so we decided to linger around Dominator until they were done with daily tests. We got to ride it 5 times as the only 2 people on the train before people started hopping on with us. Very awesome experience.

This is interesting, as most Floorless coasters kind of blend together for me. Rougarou is probably the exception but obviously it was never designed as a Floorless so that'd be why. I think I'd go:

1. Dominator

2. Bizarro

3. Scream (I know its the same, but when Bizarro had working effects it was cool)

4. Rougarou

5. Batman Knight Flight

Here's my ranking:

Superman Krypton Coaster: excellent, top 5 B&M

Rougarou: close to Superman.

Scream: nice but I hate the park.

Hair Raiser: god awful, rough as hell and really boring after the airtime hill.

Really? It looks really good and has great pacing I guess the park aren't looking after it as its only like 3 years old. I haven't been on any floorless coaster yet stupid Thorpe replace Swarm with a decent coaster!

You know what's strange about Hydra... everyone criticizes B&M for their lack of originality but to their credit they absolutely broke the mold on that one. Jojo roll out of the station, small straight drop, no vertical loop, no dive loop, the first three inversions are all basically variations of a barrel roll, the first element isn't even an inversion... The coaster isn't anything amazing (though it is fun) but it is a very rare exception to the cookie cutter B&M formula we usually see. I give it some points just for that.

My rankings:

1) Kraken

2) Dominator (rode it only as B:KF)

3) Bizarro

4) Batman: Dark Knight

5) Hydra

Kraken and Dominator are close. Dominator is the most intense floorless I've ridden with an amazing vertical loop, but Kraken has a better variety of elements (including the sacred post-MCBR vertical loop) and theming elements.

This is how I'd rank all the floorless coasters I've ridden.

1. Dominator back when it was at Geauga Lake

2. Superman Krypton Coaster @ Six Flags Fiesta Texas

3. Medusa @ Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

4. Bizarro @ Six Flags Great Adventure

5. Scream @ Six Flags Magic Mountain

6. Hydra @ Dorney Park

7. Daemon @ Tivoli Gardens

8. Batman the Dark Knight @ Six Flags New England

1) Medusa (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom)- Excellent drop, great pacing, good forces

2) Rougarou- Very forceful, unique elements for a floorless

3) Dominator- Just a hair less below Rougarou. Good layout.

4) Hydra- Love the drop. Lacks intensity, but good hang-time on elements.

5) Bizarro- Original, but rougher than the others

6) Scream- Worse setting than Bizarro

7) Batman the Dark Knight- not bad, but too short compared to the others

I don't have a definitie favorite but I can tell you that the one thing I hate on floorless coasters is the interlocking corkscrews. Even non-floorless rides that have them, like Kumba, are annoying because I always experience head banging

• 1 year later...

Here's how I rank them now.

1. Dominator

2. Bizarro

3. Rougarou

4. Hydra

1. Dominator

2. Bizarro

3. Scream (I know its the same, but when Bizarro had working effects it was cool)

4. Rougarou

5. Batman Knight Flight

Damn! Once they took out the cool location over the lake and put it in an open field with an ugly ass metal station it went from worst to first!