TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I love the colors of this coaster. I think it looks fresh, and will look incredible with those trains in the promo in real life (if they look as good as in the promo). With that said..

Does anybody else think the view of Joker with Medusa in the background and the paint/scheme juxtaposition of both rides makes Medusa look extremely faded? I feel if they repaint it, they should go with something other than purple and green, especially since they're both at the front of the park. Or is this pretty common with Six Flags?

I love the colors of this coaster. I think it looks fresh, and will look incredible with those trains in the promo in real life (if they look as good as in the promo). With that said..

Does anybody else think the view of Joker with Medusa in the background and the paint/scheme juxtaposition of both rides makes Medusa look extremely faded? I feel if they repaint it, they should go with something other than purple and green, especially since they're both at the front of the park. Or is this pretty common with Six Flags?

I don't think six flags cares if joker and medusa have similar colors, they are likely just focused on getting the RMC coaster up and running and trying to improve the re-opening of the theater to out compete CGA across the bay.

The park is referring to the stall as "the first 189 degree stall" - Do you think it's a typo or is the stall beyond 180?

I thought that when it was announced. I thought it must be because the curve beforehand rolls/banks continuously the other way and they must be starting from the bank and counting the degrees from somewhere there... but it's pretty heavily banked so I don't think it would add only +9 degrees... dunno.

This is definitely looking like a

Mardis Gras Coaster!

(Don't care if it's real name is JOKER)

To me, it actually looks like the framework, holding this coaster up, is looking so much 'lighter',

than what I've seen with other coasters being renovated, etc. recently.

Maybe not painting the wood, gives it a better all-over look? Or is all this just me?

Went to SF:DK today 2/21. Pafrk was pretty busy but not packed either. Everything to the bumper cars had decent lines to them.

that said, I went into guest relations to find out if gold meal pass gets 20% off item at the clearance shop (it does, apparently). But while there I saw they had a new verison of the season meal pass menu out, but only on a single laminated sheet.

licorice ropes, sno-cones and "good humor bars" are some of the new snack choices. Chop Six and JB's sports bar will also offer a lot if not there whole menus for meals. Garlic fries are also now a snack. The one thing not on the list I still would like is the roasted turkey leg.

PS: you can get just fortune cookies, as a snack from Chop Six.

I never noticed how small Sky Screamer looks

Because it is small.

The chairs only go up to something like 130 feet, maybe 135 at most right? Stupid height limit.

I didn't realize they had a tiny version until I got to the park, and I am so used to the 240 foot model at SFOG that it just looked so odd. It's too bad they have that height limit but I still think the smaller version was a good addition.

I took a visit to the park today with my friend. We were dismayed to find a rather crowded Discovery Kingdom. We only got a few rides in on Superman and Medusa. None of that, however, is important. What is important is that there has been some serious progress on the Joker. Not only that, there are more changes from the concept art and animation. By this point, everyone knows of the change of the rotational direction of the exit of the 180 degree stall. Well, that's just the start. In the concept art, the exit to the breaking wave turn is the same height as the entrance, where it levels out before dropping again into a small bunny hop then the first of the significant airtime hills. Now, the exit of the braking wave turn is significantly lower than the entrance, and it goes from there into an airtime hill (instead of leveling out), then into an outward banked hill. Yes, you read that correctly. We've been upgraded from a small bunny hop into a sizable outward banked hill. While I was the most excited about that hill, I was most awed by the breaking wave turn. It looks gorgeous. You know what? I'll just stop wasting time talking about it, and just show you pictures. Enjoy!

IMG_0319resized.jpg.f19354359d22cdb2dd953346240ee370.jpg

We begin our update with this lovely looking stall.

IMG_0299resized.jpg.957fb87fed09f20c8a9c26dd8594c60e.jpg

From another angle, replete with much poorer lighting. Note, however, the outward banked hill on the bottom.

IMG_0302resized.jpg.6a7e6a37f2e08abf8dd78d02e743d950.jpg

A closer shot of said outward banked hill. My friend was amused that I was so excited about this half way completed hill.

IMG_0320resized.jpg.d04ef1740d461f8327aa7bda26b1406d.jpg

The Step Up Under Flip has received more support work to further brace the structure.

IMG_0313resized.jpg.2a3ad94cffaf8e7225e4cb188f737862.jpg

Another shot of the stall.

IMG_0316resized.jpg.99c0504d73b6e7a5e0486f2307d9c143.jpg

The completed breaking wave turn.

IMG_0315resized.jpg.5c93d8ca49c21487e65033b849a511ea.jpg

Breaking wave turn above, nostalgia below.

IMG_0304resized.jpg.46265e9261fca864ca17ed243a918daf.jpg

Overview of the entire sequence: outward banked single up, breaking wave turn, airtime hill.

IMG_0305resized.jpg.b6650bf643044e8e1c8bf570794a70b0.jpg

Want. To. Ride. Right. Now.

IMG_0306resized.jpg.0924b1296a0cba6c545208c5b6cb738d.jpg

Closer.

IMG_0309resized.jpg.7bd0a91d791113af3e22632c1af37e76.jpg

Nobody does curvy quite like RMC does curvy.

IMG_0314resized.jpg.23fdd88123850f577194f70434e808ec.jpg

Outward tipped rise into the turn.

IMG_0317resized.jpg.c37f8f952050dc1186e5126b59624bd2.jpg

From another angle.

IMG_0310resized.jpg.cc2daafc64702bd8e4f7f732202eb8cc.jpg

Another shot of the breaking wave turn, because, well, it just looks so damned good.

IMG_0311resized.jpg.7288f049a7650a78e7733dc12b10308a.jpg

Last one. I hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Great photos, Doug! Your camera is way better than my own eyesight I see what you mean now. That looks great!

But not as great as my parking spot today. Around 3PM ish, there were literally no more spots so they were letting people park anywhere they could find as long as it wasn't a red zone. I think my spot takes the cake.

IMG_2911.thumb.jpg.227e33c2f3e697ef278f5df7362c6dab.jpg

5 minutes after we parked: "Great spot you got there, are you leavin'?" Nope, sorry redneck dude.

IMG_2942.thumb.jpg.1316c8efe4f99ad05b87fbaf46f94047.jpg

Sunset pic of our favorite SLC my sister took on my device

Oh, and I actually saw someone car line-jump everyone waiting to pay for parking. I heard an employee say "I was so mad at those guests" and I assume that's what she meant, but I'm pretty sure the people got away with it.

I took a visit to the park today with my friend. We were dismayed to find a rather crowded Discovery Kingdom. We only got a few rides in on Superman and Medusa. None of that, however, is important. What is important is that there has been some serious progress on the Joker. Not only that, there are more changes from the concept art and animation. By this point, everyone knows of the change of the rotational direction of the exit of the 180 degree stall. Well, that's just the start. In the concept art, the exit to the breaking wave turn is the same height as the entrance, where it levels out before dropping again into a small bunny hop then the first of the significant airtime hills. Now, the exit of the braking wave turn is significantly lower than the entrance, and it goes from there into an airtime hill (instead of leveling out), then into an outward banked hill. Yes, you read that correctly. We've been upgraded from a small bunny hop into a sizable outward banked hill. While I was the most excited about that hill, I was most awed by the breaking wave turn. It looks gorgeous. You know what? I'll just stop wasting time talking about it, and just show you pictures. Enjoy!

Wow! Those are the best construction photos I've seen of Joker so far! Thank you so much for sharing them! You're right, the breaking wave turn looks fantastic. I'm always impressed by RMC's work. Joker is definitely going to be one of their best creations. I actually say that about every new installation they have lol! They are just so damn good, and Outlaw Run is the only RMC I have ridden!

Doug's photos are freaking great.

Great photos, Doug! Your camera is way better than my own eyesight I see what you mean now. That looks great!

But not as great as my parking spot today. Around 3PM ish, there were literally no more spots so they were letting people park anywhere they could find as long as it wasn't a red zone. I think my spot takes the cake.

Was it the last bring a friend free day or something? Also they normally opening the fairgrounds lots for parking when the parking lot is officially deemed filled.

Was it the last bring a friend free day or something? Also they normally opening the fairgrounds lots for parking when the parking lot is officially deemed filled.

Looks like it was indeed a BAFF. SFMM was suffering from the same overcrowding problems yesterday as well, apparently.

Doug's photos are freaking great.

It was a BAFF day, I don't know if it was the last. And it didn't appear that they opened the overflow fairground lot at all. I guess it was late enough in the day, why bother? People would start leaving soon anyway and open up new spots.

I was there yesterday too and the crowds were indeed out of control. We got in 2 rides on Medusa, 1 on S:UF, 1 on Scat a bout, and 1 on Pacific Rim. We also spent a legit 50 minutes in line for Macho Nachos (longest line we waited in).

Pacific Rim, for those yet to experience, is worse than I anticipated. Basically a waste of time. Horrible quality projection, you're thrown right into the battle sequence as soon as movie starts, and nothing really connects at all. I'm really hoping they take some time to truly redo this for 2017, hopefully as either animal themed or DC themed, as right now its a waste of time whether there is a line or not.

I made the mistake of going on a bring a friend free day and it was so incredibly busy. Half the food places were closed, so the waits were so incredibly long. We waited 40 minutes for chicken strips. I definitely won't make that mistake again.