TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

La Ronde Discussion Thread

^ oh you know how the news media is.... Being accurate is far less important than being timely. Hell, you can practically get away with any misinformation as long as you can precede it with "you're hearing it here first!"

The first reports said the guy was 31 yrs old. Then they said 50-60 yrs old. Now they're saying 67yrs old.

Also, most of the photos with the stories show a coaster other than Vampire.

I was working at La Ronde yesterday when this happened. I wish I could tell you the facts and the story but I cannot tell you anything due to company policy and respect for his family. This was a really sad day yesterday at the park... My prayers goes to his family and friends.

They don't seem to be paying attention to their wording, either.

One report (which is copied verbatim on multiple sites) mentions that the worker "strayed" into a restricted area, then several sentences later mention that the area was "locked" and/ or "secure."

Unlocking and then entering an area is not "straying" into the area, it's deliberate and intentional.

I hate to say it, but if this gets ruled a suicide, I won't be at all surprised.

Big difference, though...

The legless guy on Superman could've easily gotten on that ride and not thought that he was in any danger. That the attendants didn't prevent him from riding probably assured him that his assumption was correct that he could still ride the coaster. That's fairly easy to say, "it's probably not a suicide, I can see where he might not predict the outcome of his decision to ride."

However, we're dealing with someone who worked at the park. He wasn't some GP without knowledge of things, he was a guy who [1] was aware of the strict procedures in place regarding the restricted areas, [2] went against those policies, [3] unlocked a secure area while the ride was in operation, and [4] didn't inform the ride operators of his actions.

Thus, he knew that what he was doing was dangerous and he intentionally ignored multiple safety mechanisms (locks, procedures, notifications) that were in place. This is far, far different than some guy who thought he could ride a coaster without falling out.

Besides, this sort of thing has happened before. Astroworld had a suicide-by-coaster several years ago where a maintenance worker intentionally stepped in front of a moving train on the Excalibur coaster. That one was a mine train, so it wasn't like he didn't see the overhead cars coming, he had to climb onto the tracks to get hit by that one.

How many wrong reports are we going to get before something factual is actually reported?!?!

When you have mistakes like this one, it's going to be while.

One report says 59 years old and another says 35 years old and they are 10 minutes apart.

^Actually it's just fine. This happens at least a few times a year, people deal with it differently, there isn't even any real information about the story. Save the judgment for some other website.

Yet another victim of a Batman clone...

Very, very poor taste. Not a place for jokes.

Until there's a legitimate article with all of the details (name, age, coaster, cause of incident, etc.), the whole thing is a 'joke' right now. And by joke I mean that it's simply asinine how the information has gone back and forth.

While someone died (at least based on what's been released) and that's a horrible thing, I don't think the 'Batman clone' remark was in poor taste.

laronde.jpg

Wow. That's a pretty big mistake for a very reputable Toronto paper.

Definitely a sad story, no matter what the exact facts turn out to be. Condolences to the employee's family, friends and everyone involved.

Funny how some people think the name is original when in fact it translates to Ultimate Flight...

They actually think that the name is original because La Ronde havn't used the name "Sky Screamer" like in all Six Flags. Actually, La Ronde couldn't legally use Sky Screamer because in Québéc province we have law 101 which obligate all public stuff, like publicity, companie names (unless they are American) and even ride names to be written in french first, to promote the language which is disapearing, particulary in Montreal region's where english is taking the place. So La Ronde made a survey and "Vol Ultime" was finally the winner.

Hey guys I went to La Ronde last weekend and had a good time. Goliath is a pretty good hyper coaster although I do think they could lessen the trims on the hill after the turn around. Next we rode Le Monstre which I thought was a wild woodie which had some air on the first hill and some laterals in the giant helix, they need to replace the trains as the bar is a little uncomfortable and the seat belts wrapped the bar are worthless considering they have normal seat beats. One positive I noticed is that Le Monstre now has topper track on the first drop on both sides. After Le Monstre we walked past Le Vampire which I noticed police investigating the ride area near the exit to the second loop. After we watched them walking around and investigating we waited in line for Le Cobra and boy was it painful. They were only running 1 train on a Saturday and the dispatch times were averaging at around 4 minutes, as for the ride, well, let's just let the smile tell you .After that we enjoyed our last ride of the day which was Vol Ultime which I thought was better then the Windseekers even though it was half the height.

I was on duty at the park. It was confirmed the man was 67 and was fatally struck by the train. Further details are not allowed to be shared because of my works policy. On a personal note, I knew him, and he was a quiet guy. I honestly believe this was a suicide. To begin with, people would react instantly to a the worker climbing into the area especially when the train is going through it's circuit and at least try to prevent something from happening. Nonetheless, being struck by the first drop is highly unlikely, where as a fence of maybe a meter and a half surrounds the second half of the ride where the corkscrew and loop are located. On a further note, the ride is fully operational again since a couple days ago. Still quite odd to hear someone willing to end their life at an amusement park. My entire sympathy for his family and best of luck for those recovering from shock.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I positively fell in love with La Ronde and Montreal yesterday. Last night was the United States turn for the international fireworks competition and it was amazing! A few thoughts:

1) As you're driving into Montreal it quickly turns to where all of the street, highway, store, etc signs are entirely in French.

2) I would have never made it to the hotel without a GPS. Crazy windy, loopy streets where you often go in the opposite direction of where you're hoping to get to.

3) While nearly everyone speaks French when asked most can switch to English effortlessly. This includes teenage park employees. This is a city of intelligent people.

4) I love being surrounded by French speaking people! It is such a happy, bubbly language.

5) Romance is 10x more evident than in the US. Tons of happy, madly in love couples, holding hands, kissing, staring deeply into each other's eyes, it's so sweet.

6) There appear to be no obese people, didn't see one!

7) The food is amazing. Even at La Ronde the food is primarily super healthy and fresh. I had the best fresh fruit smoothies and for dinner a Greek sandwich with fresh veggie marinated salad, all at an amusement park.

8) The subway and pulic transportation system is wonderful. There is a stop just minutes from the hotel that took me everywhere I wanted to go.

9) Old Town Montreal is so beautiful, very much like Europe, so charming!

10) Finally the people are so friendly and helpful. I definitely hope to get back here again someday. Oh yes, Goliath and Le Monstre were fantastic!

• 3 weeks later...

New roller coaster for 2013 ?

La Ronde, just like most Six Flags' parks, is starting to post some teasers of their new ride for 2013. Today, they added this picture to their Facebook status, without any further message (except a short text to encourage their guests to add their theory as comments).

386829_10151037006383742_1713695002_n.jpg.8911dddbe19bcc6c1efb645bf2d9908f.jpg

New ride teaser for 2013

My theory is a relocated Pandemonium from Six Flags Discovery Kingdom which destructed their's in 2011. It stands for the fact that the Pandemonium's cars spin on themselves, and the dancing people just seem to do so. Plus, Pandemonium in French is either Tohu Bohu or Chaos, which both means approximately the same thing, the passage of a Tornado were everything is screwed up. A tornado spins, right ?

What is your theory ?

^ There was a strong rumor about SFDK's Pandemonium going to SFM,[...]

I also heard that, but we never know, Six Flags could change their minds. Serial Thriller from Astroworld was first sent to the Great Escape before beeing installed at La Ronde, and The Dark knight was supposed to be installed at Six Flags New England, when municipality shutted down the project, obligating 6F to re-build it in Six Flags Mexico. We never know...

Wow, I positively fell in love with La Ronde and Montreal yesterday. Last night was the United States turn for the international fireworks competition and it was amazing! A few thoughts: [...]

YAY ! La Ronde is my home park and there's finally one person who doesn't hate it ! Thanks Markolodeon !

Edited by booink