TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Big Surprises on Coasters

Skyrush's awkwardly shaped first drop which gives you a huge pop of air right when you thing it's over.

1. This was the first thing that came to mind. My first ride was in the back row on a wing seat. It's a double dose of ejector air. You get the initial cresting ejector, and then right at the end the drop wrenches you out of your seat so forcefully, that I thought I was going to die by getting catapulted into a tree or into a rock. It was amazing.

2. X's drop. Sure the ride was clunky, but I was so disoriented. Flying towards the ground face first then flipping?!?! What the hell was that!

3. My trip to Knotts in 2005. I experienced the rush of Xcelerators launch in the front seat, as well as Ghostrider in the back seat at night time, never has a ride felt more relentless, I was breathless.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-The drops on Shockwave @ SFOT are designed so even though they aren't very steep, they pull into their final angle just when you don't expect it.

-The first tunnel on NTaG.

-The last drop on Runaway Mine Train @ SFOT

Skyrush's awkwardly shaped first drop which gives you a huge pop of air right when you thing it's over.

1. This was the first thing that came to mind. My first ride was in the back row on a wing seat. It's a double dose of ejector air. You get the initial cresting ejector, and then right at the end the drop wrenches you out of your seat so forcefully, that I thought I was going to die by getting catapulted into a tree or into a rock. It was amazing.

I think Skyrush is great and truly terrifying.

Edited by cfc

I managed to get my wife on the Thunderbolt without her realizing that it dropped straight out of the station and into a ravine.

this is exactly what I was going to post

Sterry Sky Ripper's loop. I thought it is just a standard loop taken at a laying down position, can't be that crazy because it's a B&M.

Boy I was wrong!

Yep--I'm not a fan of B&M Flyers in general, but that ride is very good.

It's already been said, but El Toro's RT hill. It really catches you off guard the first time you ride it.

The double down at the end of Phantom's Revenge is a big surprise, too.

^Everything about Phantom's Revenge is a big surprise. What a great ride!

Haha, very true! I wish I spent more time riding it during my visit! Unfortunately, one-train operations and an ever-growing line prevented that.

I truly believe that one of the surprising coasters to a lot of people,

is our own Coaster here at Playland (PNE).

People never believe what others rave about it. Then they ride it,

and experience the first leisurely drops on "the outer ring", then

the straight-a-way happens and they dive into air time pops, aggressive

bunny hops, 2 fan turns (and none of this is in order), and a nice (what I

call) Bizarro Curve that really pulls them out of their seats.

They come off going, "what the F was that?" Then they get back in line and

ride it again, lol!

PlaylandCoaster.JPG.cca6651d0faa12eb59cb5f87e24eb7cd.JPG

Old shot of Coaster, probably 1960s. This was taken during their "White Trim" Period. (o;

Edited by Nrthwnd

2. X's drop. Sure the ride was clunky, but I was so disoriented. Flying towards the ground face first then flipping?!?! What the hell was that!

3. My trip to Knotts in 2005. I experienced the rush of Xcelerators launch in the front seat, as well as Ghostrider in the back seat at night time, never has a ride felt more relentless, I was breathless.

^THIS! About Skyrush, that is. That coaster was the only time I can remember being so excited to ride, throwing my hands up on the first drop, then immediately dropping them and grabbing on for dear life lol. Some of the strangest and scariest airtime I've felt. In the best possible way.

X2

Just... X2!

I just rode the original X but seriously, I don't know how anyone who has ridden that coaster can place anything else above it. I wasn't thinking of it in terms of a "surprise" moment, but now that you've mentioned it, even if you anticipate exactly what is going to happen on that first drop, it still blows your mind and surprises your senses.