TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Your Friends

Topic says it all.

so what do your friends or family think of you when you talk about coasters?

Well my family think that I am wasting my time and money on this site. I told them that it is something i like doing and they have no control of what I want to buy. Every time I talk about coasters, my friends tell me to shut the f*** up or they will hang up the phone. I am known as the coaster person in my school and they alwyas are like......

"have you neen on the one ride that has the talest drop in the world and is orange"

"yes, and it is not the tallest in the world"

"well your a coaster f***er"

So what about you?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Would like to see your mom comment on this

Most people know that I love amusement parks. When I was younger I was teased a bit. But after I got older and started working in the business, the picking on faded away.

Now or days, people are like "Been on any new coasters yet Wally?"

Now it's a family thing. Except I won't let Gavin become an ACE member.

^^Wow, that's actually a bit sad.

Anyway, my parents don't share the same interest in coasters but are tolerant of it since I guess it's one of the more harmless hobbies you can have.

My friends enjoy coasters, but not to the extent that I do. I occasionally talk with them about coasters, and they are mildly interested, but I try not to overdo the coaster-talk since I know not everyone cares about that stuff. After all, that's what websites like this are for

To be honest I keep my school life and coaster life pretty seperate seeing as how there is no need to combine them. My friends know I'm a coaster junkie but don't care nor do I bring them up. As for family, they support it I suppose but aren't into coasters themselves.

_six

yeah, my parents are no into it at all. Before I got my lisense, and before my parents got old (40) they stopped. Our family was very into traveling around and riding coasters when I was young. There was a "dead zone" when I was 13-16, once I got my lisense I got to drive and travel more. Now I am almost 18 so I hope to go to differnt countries next year.

I guess no one is supportive of it, they think that it is a waste of time.

No one in my family likes coasters but they like going to parks. It's a shame because I hate going on coasters by myself and I am always a single rider because of it. My friends aren't into coasters really either. They will go on coasters like when we were on our class trip at WDW we went on Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain but they aren't the type of people that go to parks a lot if at all generally. I brought up Kingda Ka to one of my friends in the spring seeing how he would react and his response was basically, "Oh sounds interesting, I don't really care about parks and rollercoasters anymore"

I used to go to parks by myself for a while because EVERYTIME I would bring a friend they would get scared to go on anything above 20 mph! And it just got so frusterating, then I got into the sites and started going to parks with some members from a few sites. The only person who loves huge coasters is my cousin but she lives about 5 hours from me so its hard to get together for a park run.

_six

My parents and sister don't really like coasters/theme parks, and though I rarely talk about them, my parents probably get annoyed when I start asking them to take me to SFMW or DLR, etc. (it sucks not being able to drive ).

Edited by tinkerbell

I really don't catch much slack. Most people understand that it is just kind of "my thing". Some people golf ... some people play tennis ... and some ride roller coasters.

A lot of it is just the way you carry yourself. You can be a geek and still be normal. Just as long as you know you're a geek.

Sadly, there are no other enthusiests around in my area so I'm basically the token coaster fanatic. My friends don't say much but know I'm addicted but they'll still ride them. Some are former RCT players. I don't try to push too much coaster talk to my friends because they'll be in a world of confusion the second I told them "I'm making an Intamin Rocket in NL." I am proud to be a coaster fanatic though because it makes me different than the rest of the people around here, (Gang bangers, Wanna-Be gang bangers, and so on) and it's keeping me out of trouble.

A lot of people know that I like coasters at my school because I wear a theme park shirt almost every day. But I usually dont talk about them to my friends at school because they dont really care. But every Friday, they ask which parks I will go to over the weekend; in last Fridays case, I said Knott's Scary Farm and the San Diego Zoo.

When I was a kid my whole family loved coasters, but my mum has a bad back that's easily jarred now and so hasn't ridden a coaster in at least five or six years. My brother still enjoys them but his girlfriend doesn't so he doesn't ride.

Most of my friends enjoy coasters to the extent that they'll go for a day at Alton Towers and rave about Nemesis and Air but they don't understand the need to travel... Alton being our nearest big park, they don't see the point in going any further afield, which is why I haven't visited most UK parks, I don't like to travel alone.

^I wish I could go to a park every weekend (especially when its 85 in october and SFGAm isnt open!!!!) anyway, all my friends know Im a coaster enthusiast but I dont really talk about it much, unless its my enthusiast friends...but my parents are very cool, they even take me on trips and enjoy the coasters with me, it really enhances my experience. I got my mom hooked on coasters (thank you Apollo's Chariot) so now she is almost as excited about taking coaster trips as I am

I don't have friends. Not in a "Nobody loves me" sort of way, or a "People scare me!" sort of way, I'm just a solitary sort of guy.

My mother, however, doesn't seem to enjoy it. She says she does, and she puts up with it, but I don't think she likes it. She goes with me to all these parks, and does nothing. Of course I always offer to let her just drop me off, but she always insists on comming. I never get why...

My friends just think i'm insane. BUT, one of them does love DL with all her heart, so i'm fine. I talk about rollercoasters like one of my friends talks about boys, yet I don't see anyone thelling HER to shut up (not that I mind)

The only friends I really have are coaster enthusiasts, so I get no problems.

I rarely go out of the house (several weeks on end inside sometimes) and when I do go out, it's almost always to a park, which is almost always BPB (if only Kennywood, Lakeside and Knoebels were near too). Maybe about a third of the time I go completely on my own (needing to be in the right mood to go out) and the rest I either go with one or two people, or meet them there.

The few people I know who don't like coasters, don't seem bothered by me liking them and talking about them. People seem to accept me quickly somehow, I seem somehow endearing and attractive. Just not in the way I'd most like to be attractive..

Now to ride Lakeside's Cyclone again.. in video form.

Oh have a look here by the way. It may explain a few things for some people. It should explain a few for me, I was diagnosed five years ago.

Wow seems to me I must have done something strange as I have turned about 3 of my workmates in to coaster nuts :shock: As for my wife she just thinks that it is a strange thing to be into but loves to ride them just hates it when we stand in line and I start to tell her all about the ride I just get a shut up and get on it