TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I always really liked Perilous Plunge, and although I never considered it the best water ride in existence it was definitely a must ride for me if the line wasn't excessive. Sadly I never got to ride it with just lap bars, and I hated the four point harnesses as they resulted in a minimum 6 minute loading cycle and made it impossible to ride for a number of people (I can't remember ever seeing a boat go without 2 or 3 empty seats due to riders being rejected). The new boats did improve dispatch times a bit (in my experience, the ride generally took 2-4 minutes to dispatch...still long but not as bad as before), but I can't remember the last time both boats were used. Due to this, the line was generally 30-40 minutes even on days where everything else was 10-15 minutes. The ride also no longer got riders quite as wet (rainy day wetness versus jumping in a pool with your clothes on wetness), the new boats had uncomfortable shoulder harnesses, and, as usual, the ride continued to operate intermittently. It was one of those rides that sounded like a really good concept but suffered from poor execution.

As for the drop itself, it was very impressive when the ride opened. When on the ride, it literally felt like plunging off a waterfall. I think Perilous Plunge would have maintained its status as the most visually impressive ride in the park if Xcelerator had not been built right next to it.

I liked Perilous Plunge, but I rarely rode it because either the wait was too long or I just didn't feel like getting drenched. It had a fun drop, but the fact that Knott's removed it wasn't a big loss to me.

The fact that they had to be so picky with the restraint system was so annoying. Yes, guest safety should be the top priority, and understandably not everyone is going to fit, but the number of riders Perilous rejected was just downright ridiculous. I was rejected once on the 4 point harnesses for being- wait for it- TOO THIN! WTF?!?! I couldn't believe it when it happened. Never got to ride when it was just lap bars, and only rode a few times with the 4 point harnesses, but I didn't think the OTSRs were that bad. The unfortunate thing was that they didn't help dispatch times.

It was a fun ride, but I'd much rather go on something that doesn't take 10 minutes to dispatch and that doesn't have such a terrible (as in picky) restraint system. So bring on Coast Rider, Pacific Scrambler, and Surfside Gliders! I'm actually most excited about the return of the Scrambler, believe it or not. Even though it's just a typical flat ride, I think it's awesome that Knott's kept it all this time after having moved it around so many times and that they're now putting it back in!

Can some one explain how Perilous Plunge was "painful"?

I went on that ride many, many times over the years and never once experienced any pain.

Forgot to bring this up in my post- I actually never experienced pain either...my last ride on it was about 3 weeks before it closed (made a special trip after the announcement was made), so unless it suddenly got rough in the last couple weeks it was open, I don't know what anyone means by it being a painful ride.

The only good part about Perilous Plunge was the drop. With that said, Dive Machines have the same drop but you don't get soaked right after, and they have more to them. In general, a dive machine is way better. If PP had actually been replaced by a DM, that would have been way awesome. I will still take what Knott's is getting over PP, but I think they could have done something more imaginative with the space.

The only good part about Perilous Plunge was the drop. With that said, Dive Machines have the same drop but you don't get soaked right after, and they have more to them. In general, a dive machine is way better. If PP had actually been replaced by a DM, that would have been way awesome. I will still take what Knott's is getting over PP, but I think they could have done something more imaginative with the space.

By SARAH TULLY / ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

BUENA PARK – Knott's Berry Farm will open three new rides in time for summer, with the iconic log ride reopening at the same time.

The Buena Park theme park has set a debut date for the rides of May 25, the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, said Jennifer Blazey, a Knott's spokeswoman.

"A lot of people are off that weekend, a holiday weekend," Blazey said. "It would be a good time to reopen and introduce the area."

Crews are building the three rides and renovating Timber Mountain Log Ride, which opened in 1969 as Calico Log Ride. It closed this year so new scenes and animatronics can be added.

Looks like Knott's is shooting for a May 25 (Memorial Day) opening for the new boardwalk attractions, as well as the refurbished log ride!

Smuckers will discontinue the Knott's label on their jars of jellies.

http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/knott-497437-name-berry.html

BUENA PARK – Several years ago, Smuckers bought up the preserves division of Knott's Berry Farm.

Still, the Knott's name had remained on the packages of preserves given to customers at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant and at restaurants around the country.

Article Tab: preserves-knott-yet-run

Customers wanting the Knott's label on preserves will have to go the theme park – or hope their local stores haven't run out of the old style yet.

No more.

Those packages, though still containing the famous boysenberry preserves, now display the Smuckers name.

Buena Park farmer Walter Knott gained fame by becoming the first to successfully grow the hybrid berry he named the boysenberry. Knott sold them from a roadside stand along what is now Beach Boulevard. His wife, Cordelia, served her handmade preserves in the tea shop she operated and, later, in the chicken restaurant that today bears her name.

Still, that doesn't mean the Knott's name is no longer found on products.

"Rest assured Knott's jams, jellies and other products are still available at the gift shop," Knott's Berry Farm spokeswoman Jennifer Blazey said.

Food giant ConAgra sold the Knott's line of jams and jellies to Smuckers. That company moved production to one of its plants, and in 2008 shut down the Placentia factory where Knott's items had been made.

Blazey said the switch took place about two months ago. Knott's Berry Farm was the last place receiving the jelly packets with the Knott's logo, and the company decided to phase them out. Other restaurants outside of the park may still have packets with the Knott's name as they use up their inventories.

- See more at: http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/knott-497437-name-berry.html#sthash.q565GuOp.dpuf

I honestly like this idea as it makes their jelly a unique product from the park as opposed to something you can buy from the store.