TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Though I will agree with most of you that a retracking would be ideal for GhostRider, I don't even think it's a "we don't want to pay for it" per se. We're talking about a ride that get 2+hour lines on busy days and close to 3hours during Haunt. Based on it's current throughput, why would you invest so much money on a ride that's stil easily the No. 2 most popular coaster in the park?

Pretty much my thoughts as well, though, riding in the front has never disappointed me, but on Sunday, man did it bruise me to death in the back!

Though I will agree with most of you that a retracking would be ideal for GhostRider, I don't even think it's a "we don't want to pay for it" per se. We're talking about a ride that get 2+hour lines on busy days and close to 3hours during Haunt. Based on it's current throughput, why would you invest so much money on a ride that's stil easily the No. 2 most popular coaster in the park?

If an extensive overhaul would increase the longevity of the ride by another 10+ years AND save them yearly maintenance costs....

^ And the answer we got at Knott's during WCB seemed to suggest that we won't see much happen with the ride for now anyway....

Yeah, their response was that it is rough because it's a wooden coaster.

I guess if it ever reaches a point where riders are complaining of injuries from riding GR, or if there is the potential for lawsuits, Knott's might take a more serious approach at making the ride 'smooth'. But as others are saying, it still draws crowds.

Ghost Rider is no worse than Wildcat at Hersheypark. Both rides kick the crap out of you, but in such a good way, haha. I know I'm in the minority, but a good rough and tumble woody that lets you know who's boss is my favorite type of ride. Ghost Rider, Wildcat, and the Coney Island Cyclone are three of my favorite woodies.

Too many to bother making a list, haha.

But seriously, though, Ghost Rider isn't that bad. I was out in SoCal this past March and had a grand ol' time riding that thing over and over again. It had some bite, but nothing too violent. I rode multiple times in the front and the back and always came back into the station with a huge grin on my face.

I was looking up some old haunt stuff today, and found an old ride/attraction that Knott's did for Scary Farm, way back in 1987 I believe.

The attraction was called "Revenge Of Zulu" and it used the old Camp Snoopy train to run around the lake with scare actors at every turn.

The star of the attraction was a supposed "Zulu Animatronic" that would pop of of the lake to scare riders.

Anyone know any more info about the attraction/pictures? If so, I'd be very interested in finding out about it.

Who knows, maybe we'll see that animatronic return for the Haunt Tech show this year!

Ghost Rider is no worse than Wildcat at Hersheypark. Both rides kick the crap out of you, but in such a good way, haha. I know I'm in the minority, but a good rough and tumble woody that lets you know who's boss is my favorite type of ride. Ghost Rider, Wildcat, and the Coney Island Cyclone are three of my favorite woodies.

I rode Ghostrider last Wednesday, and it was annoyingly/painfully rough; after the MCBR, I wanted it to end very quickly.

As for Wildcat (if that's the other GCI near Lightning Racers), I rode it on the Cedar Point trip, as my VERY last ride for ERT (having spent most of my time on the Racers, plus a few rides on the mouse). It was by no means ridiculously rough or annoying, just kind of bumpy and boring.

Could I have easily ridden Wildcat multiple times? Yes. Can I re-ride Ghostrider? Maybe twice, and I'm in pretty darn good shape. (knock on wood)

^I haven't ridden Ghostrider in a while even though, I live about 15 minutes from the park. Not because I don't like it, just haven't gotten around to riding it.

I sometimes tend to forget it's in the park, since it is so far away from all the other attractions. I think that's the main reason I don't get to ride it, I never really walk by it.

Ghostrider roughness varies depending on what time of year. We usually go to the park in early October right after Ghostrider comes out of rehab. Last October is was running great and we rode it quite a few times in a row including in the back. We've been there at other times of the year and it's roughness causes headaches after one ride. Ghostrider usually gets a rehab before haunt so it should be going down soon.

Jim

My last ride on Ghostrider was outright abusive-and caused it to fall out of my top ten coasters. Not only was it jarring and uncomfortable, the slow down at the mid course ruins the insanity of the rest of the ride it once had (which considering the present state of the ride might not be such a bad thing). Next time I visit the park, I will be sticking to Silver Bullet and Xcel if GR is still running like it was a few weeks ago.

So now the question is..... Will Knott's decide to make an addition for 2012 in order to compete with the other SoCal Theme Parks in 2012?

So far, almost every SoCal Theme Park will have something...

Disneyland Resort - DCA make-over/Carsland

Universal Studios - Transformers

Six Flags Magic Mountain - Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Sea World San Diego - Manta (Mack LSM)

Legoland California - Possible new coaster/ride? and 2013 Hotel

I hope they don't rely on Windseeker to be their major park addition for 2012. Regardless of what Knott's decides to do, 2012 could be the single greatest year in the last decade for Theme Parks.