TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Golden Ticket Awards 2012 Results

Wild Eagle is pretty good in the back. Actually, the back row is better than almost all new, and even some old, B&M's. However, there is no reason it should have nearly a third of the votes. Almost all completetions are biased to the hoster, but, isn't this taking that to the extreme just a little bit?

Also, how did Maginum actually climb higher? 10th place was far high enough. I do believe that it has forces that could make it a top ten ride, but it is very rough and the restraints are painful to get slammed into.

Wait a second...so, according to the GTA, Skyrush is painful but Maginum isn't? I haven't ridden Skyrush, but there is no way the slamming into the restraints can possibly be worse than Maginum.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would like to echo the fact that more people need to apply to vote in future years. It's easier than ever now (especially for international voters). Voting is done online.

This is my second year voting and I can tell you that the results I submitted differ greatly in most of the categories. I took a good amount of time when contemplating where to put my votes. It's really a shame that such a large demographic obviously don't take this seriously.

All I can do is keep voting and hope that more enthusiasts (especially internationally) join in to help balance out the results.

I would like to echo the fact that more people need to apply to vote in future years. It's easier than ever now (especially for international voters). Voting is done online.

This is my second year voting and I can tell you that the results I submitted differ greatly in most of the categories. I took a good amount of time when contemplating where to put my votes. It's really a shame that such a large demographic obviously don't take this seriously.

All I can do is keep voting and hope that more enthusiasts (especially internationally) join in to help balance out the results.

I had no idea that you could apply to vote. I was kind of under the impression that the voting was done predominately by people within the amusement industry (which kind of makes the results more understandable).

This poll is a joke. Very unscientific.The most popular, not necessarily the best, get the votes. It would be interesting to see the location on a map of where each ballot was cast. I think you would see it skewed to Ohio.

The wooden coasters list is very well represented. But wow. Those Steels. What causes someone to actually think Intimidator at Carowinds is better than at Kimg's Dominion? Ridership? I feel like Dominion is more popular a park as a whole. Either way, at least their aren't too many snubs for the best park category. The order is just a bit weird.

I like the idea of a TPR Awards. Have the polling done on the TPR Forums for everyone at a certain number of posts (that way people can't just keep re-registering to stuff the ballot) and then have a more honest award pool from people that are obviously more in touch with the current theme park world.

Some of these are a JOKE. Transformers should be high on the New for 2012 list, if not #1. Also the Best Food? I'm thinking Epcot should be #1 with DCA a close second with all the new stuff they added (Carthay Circle anyone?). Not to mention the already stated and obvious Park list (I love CP but come on...) and the ride lists (MF is not #1 and I305 is NOT #12). Amusement Today should be ashamed of this pathetic excuse of awards.

alright... end rant.

^ Something tells me it has something to do with the fact people think I305 is "too intense". SkyRush may have had the same issues. Just funny to think that if either was at CP they'd be in the top 5-10 easily.

I don't know if that's what it is. Even though it's not a 200-300 footer, Maverick sees some of the same complaints that SkyRush and Intimidator 305 do. It's in Ohio, and it placed at #21.

I don't think any category was won by any park outside of the USA.

It's quite amusing how Europa-Park finishing 2nd in the top parks is pretty much the only European park that has anything to shout about.

My friend was on the panel this year, and parks in Europe such as EP and PortAventura - which have amazing shows - weren't even an option for that category, and Wodan, as much as I know it isn't the best new ride this year, was similarly not an option in the "best new ride" category.

Pleasure Beach Blackpool I understand doing well as I know you US lot like your seaside/boardwalk parks. But 2nd best in Europe? Hmm!

^ Something tells me it has something to do with the fact people think I305 is "too intense". SkyRush may have had the same issues. Just funny to think that if either was at CP they'd be in the top 5-10 easily.

I don't know if that's what it is. Even though it's not a 200-300 footer, Maverick sees some of the same complaints that SkyRush and Intimidator 305 do. It's in Ohio, and it placed at #21.

I would argue that I305 and Sky Rush are better roller coasters than Maverick. As for Magnum XL-200? Sure, I appreciate its history. Yet, I would much rather ride MF, Maverick, or TTD before I consider Magnum (at CP). At this point, is it really top ten worthy?

^ Not only that, but Transformers didn't even get on the list for best new ride.

It was on the list for voting. The top 5 "nominees" are the ones that got the most votes. Transformers was on the list for best new ride for voting (as well as an "Other" section for write in votes). However, I guess it didn't get enough votes, which in my opinion as well, is pretty crazy that it didn't crack the Top 5.

I know the voting is always skewed, but this list seems even more unusual than I was expecting. There's not a lot they can do about their voter base, but I would hope they aggregate their scores better in future to give a fairer playing field to newer rides.

I had no idea that you could apply to vote. I was kind of under the impression that the voting was done predominately by people within the amusement industry (which kind of makes the results more understandable).

It really isn't. It's mainly by enthusiasts. However, a lot of the voters are ACE members that think they are so cool that they know people in the industry. Actually, if you work at a park or work for a ride manufacturer you can't vote. However, there are some in the industry who do vote, and I guess I would consider myself to be one of them, but I certainly don't vote in a biased way. If I did, I think all of my votes would be for PA parks as the majority of customers I have are in PA. Though, I have to say it is a little ridiculous that DelGrosso's doesn't get any votes for best food when they clearly have amazing food that is actually made onsite, fresh. But I digress.

I guess I can only reiterate, SIGN UP TO VOTE! I think it is a little important to have some kind of unity in the industry, and creating another awards, like some have suggested, would only hurt. Sign up to vote and let's make this something that everyone can enjoy.

http://www.goldenticketawards.com/gta-faqs

Tim Baldwin

Golden Ticket Awards Coordinator

Telephone: (817) 460-7220

E-mail: tbaldwin@amusementtoday.com

The fact that I305 wasn't even in the top 5 is completely ridiculous. I really don't even pay attention to the GTA's and never really had an opinion, but this is ludicrous. I may be being a bit fanboy but I don't see how the Carowinds Intimidator, Magnum, Apollo, Diamondback, or Millennium Force could be ranked higher.

I think part of the issue is also that people seem to take this less and less seriously every year. Even Amusement Today doesn't have as wide of a reach as it did 10+ years ago (nor do any other magazines / newspapers). I know people that took voting seriously in the past and have just given up as they continue to see the results continue to be a joke. Is it a marketing tool.... yes... but a very poor one with limited reach.