TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Things to do while queuing at theme parks!

I typically do the following:

Talk with the rest of my party about whatever (What I probably do the most)

Take photos of rides if I don't have any/enough and if I see an interesting angle/shot

Look at the photos I've taken so far or whatever else may be on the memory card previously

Check out what's new on Facebook/TPR

Lastly, and most importantly, I stand my ground in line along with everyone else, in hopes to block and prevent line jumpers 'meeting up' with their nonexistent party ahead.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually just talk with other members of my party, take pictures or check out the scenery (the latter two mainly at parks I haven't visited before). I also occasionally just listen to conversations around me while watching the ride and, even less often, get involved in a conversation with a complete stranger (almost always about the ride I'm in line for). When I go by myself, I usually pick days that lines won't be too bad, as my waiting tolerance is drastically less when I'm alone (approximately 25 minutes alone versus 2 hours with a group for a top tier attraction).

I generally talk to people, either in my group or just random people in line. Sometimes it works well and I find people who are intelligent, but there's a good amount of time i just end up chatting with the GP. When that happens I just give up...

-Watch the coaster you are queuing for

-Take pictures of any coaster you can in line

Generally, when I queue for rides, I am more bothered by the concept of a line taking up a large chunk of my day than I am of actually having to wait. I would probably mind waiting 2 hours for a ride in the middle of the day, but, if I hit the line, say, 10 minutes before closing, I do not mind waiting 2-3 hours in line. I can, with relative ease, find plenty of things to do in line. However, the one queuing area that really gets on my nerves is Space Mountain. Not the inside queue, but the outside area. It is on a giant elevated platform, resulting in there being very little to look at or photograph. Every time I wait an hour for it, it feels more like 2 hours. I love most of Disney's queuing areas, just not this one.

So, if there are any popular rides with queues that simply do not allow you to see much, hit those rides first. Actually, it would be best to hit the popular rides first anyway, so, really, all I can say is get there early and get in as many early rides as possible.

Try some random dancing, and watch the GP reaction.

Or quote your favourite play / poem .... To be or not to be that is the questions....

or just stand and wait and create a gap in front of you, see how long before someone whinges for you to move forward

or just ghost the actions of a random in front of you!

I'm usually the one to be stared at in lines for roller coasters (probably due to my facial piercings, well not probably. Obviously) and it amuses me to watch people make gestures about their face in regards to certain piercings I have, and at least once a line I get asked about my bridge piercing (goes through the skin between the eyes) so talking about that kills time, or any of my other piercings (10 in total just on my face). If I'm with friends we usually just talk and do normal people things in line, or watch as people stare at us and talk about it casually and laugh because we're a bunch of "freaks"

• 7 months later...

If there's any good lookers in the queue I normally try to get the sweet talk going. (Worked well when in the USA, accent and all) - A few times there's been a few flirters, got a few numbers, especially when you're stuck in the line for hours on end.

^^ Haha.

Personally, before I enter a queue I will win one of those basketballs and dribble it the entire duration of the queue to take my mind off the wait.

Actually, unless I know the park is dead and there won't be any lines, I won't go to parks alone because it is borderline depressing to wait in long, crowded lines all day with no one to talk to. (No, I'm not having that awkward conversation with some random person)

Talk to the people I'm at the park with. Depending on the group you're with waiting in line can be sort of fun.

Oh... and I also check the Q bot every 5 minutes to see why it's buzzing...

- Kingda Ka is Closed

- Kingda Ka is Open!

- Kingda Ka is Closed

- Kingda Ka is Open!

- Upgrade to a Season Pass Today (even though I gave them my season pass as a form of ID)

- Kingda Ka is Closed (Can I de-friend Kingda Ka so it will shut up?)

- Kingda Ka is Open! (I hate you Q Bot)

- El Toro - You can ride now! (I love you Q Bot)

Personally, before I enter a queue I will win one of those basketballs and dribble it the entire duration of the queue to take my mind off the wait.

I would want to kill you if you were next to me in line.

This.

Anyways, what I do is just start a conversation with people around me. You'd be surprised how many people are willing to actually talk. I got free into a club (Borderline near Thousand Oaks for those who are from Southern Cali) because I met a group of people who worked there in line for Green Latern, it was way cool. Crazy stuff like this will happen more and more the more people you meet in line!

-- James "Gotta expand that social circle" Flint

Draw Something...'nuff said...especially with your friends actually present, and drawing theme park related things off of the simplest words...(Like I get the word "Stapler", I draw a ride op stapling someone...or get the word "Shark" and I draw Flight Deck's shark wheel cover). Otherwise I whip out the phone and check up on TPR, maybe 'check in' at a ride on Facebook or just chill with the group and do random things...like we were quizzing each other on naming all the CF/SF parks, naming all Schwarzkopf loopers in the US...

In long queues alone I usually alternate between reading on the Kindle app and pretending to read on my Kindle app while silently judging people who are saying stupid things. Also there's the constant battle against queue jumpers and people who don't know what personal space is.