TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Stupid Moves that Parks have made

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cedar Fair, not learning from what Six Flags did when they were buying all those parks, purchasing the Paramount chain. Sure they've cleaned up the parks and added some needed attractions (the 3 Beemers) but it put them in a serious debt position just like SF.

It also sucked for us Ohioans as it gave CF a monopoly here and KI losing some of its atmosphere.

Six Flags selling Worlds of Adventure to Cedar Fair at a huge loss.

If they would have kept it, it would have ended up just like Six Flags America. Six Flags Ohio/WOA added so many major attractions in such short time, just like Six Flags America did when it was acquired - and Six Flags America wasn't able to invest in an original major attraction until Thomas Town in 2010.

The only thing that comes to mind has to be Six Flags America as they have been removing rides, but not replacing them. Take the removal of the Octopus, for example. They did put The Cyclone in its place, but now the old area that use to be The Cyclone has been converted to a rock climb challenge. I'm sure the park could use it, but I feel it is in the wrong place (it's a small attraction inside a large area and I hope they fix it soon - all that queing area isn't being used).

But I am optimistic that this park will learn from its mistakes and start to put some more decent attractions, and even improve some of their existing ones.

"Are you done yet? You not coming to bed is a stupid move you're making!"

Cedar Fair, not learning from what Six Flags did when they were buying all those parks, purchasing the Paramount chain. Sure they've cleaned up the parks and added some needed attractions (the 3 Beemers) but it put them in a serious debt position just like SF.

It also sucked for us Ohioans as it gave CF a monopoly here and KI losing some of its atmosphere.

It also gave Cedar Fair the opportunity to not continously build expensive rides in Cedar Point since it now has no competition. (Shoot the Rapids & WindSeeker aren't expensive, I'm thinking more of $10 million+)

• 1 year later...

Luna Park Melbourne failing to deliver on their promise of a "big surprise" for their 100th anniversary. I was expecting something at least slightly significant, but the announcement was a Reverchon Spinner. Not only that, but the spinner will only be there for Summer. WTF Luna Park? Of all times to reveal plans for at least a minor new permanent attraction the 100th anniversary is perfect. But no. Luna Park will never be rebuilt to the awesomeness it was in the 70's from what I see in the pics, when it used to have a bunch of classic rides which have since been removed. /rant

Alton Towers building Rita. It didn't really fit into Ug World, and it doesn't fit into the Black Forest. I'd be able to forgive that if it was a great ride, but it's really quite mediocre. My least favourite of Alton's "big" coasters.

Thorpe Park building Storm Surge right in the middle of the midway. It's quite an eyesore.

PortAventura adding those abysmal KumbaK trains to Stampida. Just WHY?

^^Luna Park has quite a few issues when it comes to their "neighbors," correct? Maybe they should've gone with a really cool dark ride for their 100th anniversary, instead of a temporary spinning coaster.

That being said, I liked Luna Park, and it's a wonder that it's still operating at all. The park is worth it just for the fun house and wooden wild mouse (and the rotor has a lot of fans, as well).

Edited by cfc

No one here probably really knows what im talking about, but here in Finland this park called Särkänniemi had an awesome Vekoma whirlwind. Even though slightly painful it was tons of fun! It was even the first coaster in Finland to do an inversion! PIC:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5EyGMoL2X6to-NvO8L1hQc-TZH50UqvaWr61LOSER3p37QQ1E

but then 2009 was it's last year. They sold it away for no specific reason (probably thought the guests didn't like it) but it was one of finland's faves! And as a replacement we were expecting something better! But all we got was a god damn Zamperla Motocoaster themed after moto GP. It got called Motogee

It SUCKS really bad. Well it is the only launched coaster in Finland at the moment but we used to have a schwarzkopf katapult ride in linnanmäki, which is what ill talk about now. I wish i could've ridden it, but i wasn't old enough yet. I think i might've not even been born yet. It eventually got replaced by the topspin that's there still now but it was there for only TWO YEARS. Maybe only one. The actual reason why they removed it was the fact that it broke down quite commonly, tho it was cheap and quick to fix. No picture sorry, there is only like one public picture of it and its only 100x100.

Then to another move from särkänniemi. They actually have had awesome rare rides, but they have removed them for kiddies. For instance they actually had a HUSS Disco Round. But in 2006 they removed a HUSS Frisbee which is probably like my fave flat and put a HUSS Take Off in the place! Even tho takeoffs are nice, they still are worse than frisbees.

KI building Son of Beast. That had to be the stupidest decision ever. They couldn't have had GCI or CCI build the coaster. I mean RCCA! Really! The ride is rough and it costs alot to take care of. They should remove it and build Gravity Group woodie on that footprint.

GCI and CCI probably saw the concept presented to them by KI and said "Hell no! We are NOT building that!"

Six Flags' advertisements come to mind. Who would've thought to plaster advertisements literally ALL OVER the parks including sticker wraps on the coasters? It makes it so blatantly obvious that they are corporate.

Six Flags Over Georgia not building Batman the Ride in 96

Six Flags being sold to Premier Parks

Disney's California Adventure (There is no way that park could've succeeded in any way)

Mount Olympus after Hades

Hollywood Rip Ride Rock It

Hiring Mark Shapiro as opposed to someone with Theme Park Experience

This is probably very controversial, especially since it has increased profits and attendance, however IOA replacing Lost Continent with Potterland was a stupid move.... just because the Lost Continent looked so much more unique and amazing. (And Dueling Dragons of course) Then again I'm not really a Harry Potter fan so I'm biased.

-- James "Okay it wasn't really stupid, just disappointing" Flint

^ Even though I know what your saying that was a pretty smart move.

I forgot to say this last time but it's a stupid move that SFMM opened Green Lantern but doesn't run it properly. The "concept video" shows like... 4 or 5 separate inversions and full flips, but that's just not the case on the actual ride, which is uncomfortable and 100$ the parks fault because that's not the way Intamin built it to run.

Another sort of stupid move is IMO Full Throttle just because I don't like or understand the ride... it has a random(pointless) backwards launch which destroys the pacing and capacity, and worst of all the entire ride is based on a huge gimmick cause it's the worlds tallest loop. It may be a success with the GP and maybe is not a dumb move, but it seems like just another gimmick.